The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Physics at Nottingham

Hi, I'm currently choosing unis for starting in 2024. I'm considering Nottingham for an integrated masters in physics (maybe with astronomy or theoretical astrophysics). I don't really have time to visit before my personal statement deadline, so could any current physics students there please tell me what it's like? Eg how's the teaching, the support, the facilities, etc. Thank you!

Bonus questions for physics and other students: how are the green spaces and the study spaces? Those are priorities for me - thanks!
(not that interested in the nightlife, but an lgbt scene would be nice)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm currently choosing unis for starting in 2024. I'm considering Nottingham for an integrated masters in physics (maybe with astronomy or theoretical astrophysics). I don't really have time to visit before my personal statement deadline, so could any current physics students there please tell me what it's like? Eg how's the teaching, the support, the facilities, etc. Thank you!

Bonus questions for physics and other students: how are the green spaces and the study spaces? Those are priorities for me - thanks!

Hi,

I study Theoretical Physics, and I am in my last year (4th). Obviously it is hard to give a thorough answer due to the issues my cohort faced with Covid-19, but I will try to give some idea. The school of Physics and Astronomy places a large emphasis on your own health; the support services in place are relatively good, as long as you go out of your way to use them. That being said, some of the lecturers do not place as large an emphasis, and they may not be the most forthcoming with resources should you miss a lecture for example. The teaching is overall decent. There are a good few lectures who I would personally consider to be world class... but then again there are a few lecturers that I do not think are well equipped to teach in an engaging and interesting manner.

I personally believe that notts has the best green spaces out of almost all the universities in the UK, save maybe St Andrews. Study spaces are good, again as long as you engage with them and go out of your way to look. I think nottingham has a very proud LGBT+ scene, but I'm not the person to ask.

Hope this helps in your search!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #1

Did you apply in the end? Only because everything you said above is the exact same things I considered, and it would be cool if we both ended up going
Original post by 200emabro
Did you apply in the end? Only because everything you said above is the exact same things I considered, and it would be cool if we both ended up going
No, ended up applying for Imperial, Bath and Liverpool, got offers from Bath and Liverpool but I’m putting Bristol and Sussex as my choices :smile: Hope Nottingham goes well for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending