The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

G2M Aberdeen

Hi I was wondering how to progression to the 5 year medicine is like after you get into the g2m programme? Is it still competitive to get in even after u got into the g2m programme?
Reply 1
Does anyone know what the standard requirements are for widening access applicants for advanced highers? Also would anyone know if I can apply to the gateway course if I'm a young carer( ie that's the only thing I meet on their list) + I also studied abroad for the first 3 years of secondary school would that also be a point? I didn't study in a prodomantly English school. Idk I'd be super greatful if anyone could help x
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by Nbhl
Does anyone know what the standard requirements are for widening access applicants for advanced highers? Also would anyone know if I can apply to the gateway course if I'm a young carer( ie that's the only thing I meet on their list) + I also studied abroad for the first 3 years of secondary school would that also be a point? I didn't study in a prodomantly English school. Idk I'd be super greatful if anyone could help x

Hi! I applied to both G2M and the main medicine programme at Aberdeen this year so I can maybe help answer some of these.

I’m a widening access applicant and my offer for the main programme was still BBB at advanced higher/crash higher, didn’t receive an offer for G2M as I received an offer for the main programme however everyone I spoke to who applied to gateway received unconditional offers (although I’m not certain they were school leaver applicants)

The criteria for G2M entry has 2 “main” criteria where you automatically meet their widening access requirements - SIMD20 postcode & being care experienced, but there’s also a longer list which you must meet 3 of if you don’t have any of the main 2. These include things like being a young carer (applies to you then!), not being schooled in English originally, being the first in your family to apply to uni etc.

Happy to answer any more questions if I can :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you so much omg that's such a relief, one last question of you don't mind, does that mean I meet the criteria even if I don't meet 3 things from the list or do they take into account both widning access and the list? Then again thank youuu xxx
Original post by Nbhl
Thank you so much omg that's such a relief, one last question of you don't mind, does that mean I meet the criteria even if I don't meet 3 things from the list or do they take into account both widning access and the list? Then again thank youuu xxx

Hi! Yep as far as I know, if you meet either one of the main 2 criteria (SIMD20 postcode/care experienced) you don’t need the additional 3 - I’ll copy a full list over :smile:

Applicant is resident in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20% of the Scottish index of multiple deprivation (SIMD) or;
Applicant is a young person who is care experienced (young person in care/care leaver)
OR - meets a minimum of three from the below list:
Applicant comes from one of Scotland’s REACH schools
First generation applicant to higher education
Applicant is a young person who is formally classed as a carer
Applicant eligible for free school meals at any point in secondary education
Applicant lives in an area that is considered to be (4) Remote Small Town (5) Very Remote Small Town, (7) Remote Rural, (8) Very Remote Rural as classified by the Scottish Goverment 8 fold Urban Rural Classification (URC)
Applicant is estranged from their family
Applicant is eligible for the Educational Maintenance Award
Applicant can provide verifiable independent evidence (e.g. from School Head Teacher) of severe sustained financial hardship that is not reflected in current SIMD categorisation
Prior to secondary school, the applicant was not schooled in English (e.g. the applicant did not speak English when starting secondary school).
Reply 5
Original post by amber0321
Hi! Yep as far as I know, if you meet either one of the main 2 criteria (SIMD20 postcode/care experienced) you don’t need the additional 3 - I’ll copy a full list over :smile:

Applicant is resident in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20% of the Scottish index of multiple deprivation (SIMD) or;
Applicant is a young person who is care experienced (young person in care/care leaver)
OR - meets a minimum of three from the below list:
Applicant comes from one of Scotland’s REACH schools
First generation applicant to higher education
Applicant is a young person who is formally classed as a carer
Applicant eligible for free school meals at any point in secondary education
Applicant lives in an area that is considered to be (4) Remote Small Town (5) Very Remote Small Town, (7) Remote Rural, (8) Very Remote Rural as classified by the Scottish Goverment 8 fold Urban Rural Classification (URC)
Applicant is estranged from their family
Applicant is eligible for the Educational Maintenance Award
Applicant can provide verifiable independent evidence (e.g. from School Head Teacher) of severe sustained financial hardship that is not reflected in current SIMD categorisation
Prior to secondary school, the applicant was not schooled in English (e.g. the applicant did not speak English when starting secondary school).

Ohh ok I was under the impression that young person in care is a person who has been in care (like Foster care?), whereas I am a full time carer for a family member. but that makes sense thank you sssm xxx
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Nbhl
Ohh ok I was under the impression that young person in care is a person who has been in care (like Foster care?), whereas I am a full time carer for a family member. but that makes sense thank you sssm xxx

Oh!! ok so this is so confusing but being a carer for a family member is one of the criteria needed for the set of 3, it’s really confusingly worded though. Sorry about that!!
Original post by Nbhl

Hi @Nbhl
It's great to hear that you're interested in studying Medicine with us! 😃
I've had a quick chat with our Access Team about your post and they've said that widening access applicants are usually asked for AAAB from S5. Given your circumstances, they strongly encourage you get in touch with them.
Feel free to pop them an email at either [email protected] or [email protected] - happy to talk it over!
Cheers,
Paul
Reply 8
Original post by UoA Enquiry Team
Hi @Nbhl
It's great to hear that you're interested in studying Medicine with us! 😃
I've had a quick chat with our Access Team about your post and they've said that widening access applicants are usually asked for AAAB from S5. Given your circumstances, they strongly encourage you get in touch with them.
Feel free to pop them an email at either [email protected] or [email protected] - happy to talk it over!
Cheers,
Paul

Thank you so much for you help! I 2ill definitely get in touch. Fingers crossed :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending