The Student Room Group

graph of the nth power function !! :( help!

i hate this ..... i cant seem to understand what the hell to do. any help will be greatly appreciated.

find the equation of the tangent to the curve at the given point:

y= x+9/x at (3,6)

sorry i dont know how to use that programme thing which makes it appear like written fractions

find the equation of the normal to the curve at the given point:

y= 4/x^2 at (2,1)

and y= x+2/x^3 at (-1,-1)

been trying these all days but have made 0 progress :frown:

thanks in advance guys! :smile:
Reply 1
hopes
i hate this ..... i cant seem to understand what the hell to do. any help will be greatly appreciated.

How much do you know about differentiation? In each case you need to calculate the gradient of the desired line and then plug the relevant values into yy1=m(xx1)y-y_1=m(x-x_1)
Reply 2
BJack
How much do you know about differentiation? In each case you need to calculate the gradient of the desired line and then plug the relevant values into yy1=m(xx1)y-y_1=m(x-x_1)

blah?

as far as i know its dy/dx right? so i got to 4x^-2 for the second one and dy/dx for that is -8? so the gradient of the normal is 1/8 bt when i plug the values in the answer doesnt match whats behind the book. i got 4y=x-3??
Reply 3
im relying on u guys 2 help me out here!
Reply 4
Your differentiation is wrong. Do it correctly, and you ll get the right answer :smile:
Reply 5
hmm i still cant seem to get the it right!?
Reply 6
hopes
hmm i still cant seem to get the it right!?

Let's look at the first one. Is it y=x9x\displaystyle y=\frac{x-9}{x} or y=x9x\displaystyle y=x-\frac{9}{x}?
Reply 7
BJack
Let's look at the first one. Is it y=x9x\displaystyle y=\frac{x-9}{x} or y=x9x\displaystyle y=x-\frac{9}{x}?

its the second one but its x PLUS not minus 9/x
Reply 8
hopes

And what do you get when you differentiate it?
Reply 9
Sculler
And what do you get when you differentiate it?

x+9x^-1= -9??
Reply 10
hopes
x+9x^-1= -9??

I think you must be going wrong with your differentiation. ddxaxn=naxn1\frac{d}{dx} ax^n = nax^{n-1}

hopes

Oh yes, so it is. Any way, you should be able to work out that if

y=x+9xy=x+\frac{9}{x} then

dydx=19x2\frac{dy}{dx} = 1 - \displaystyle \frac{9}{x^2}

So the gradient when x=3 comes out as 0. Thus the equation for the tangent to the curve at x=3 is

y6=0(x3)y=6y-6=0(x-3) \Rightarrow y=6

Is that correct? :s-smilie:
Reply 11
BJack
Oh yes, so it is. Any way, you should be able to work out that if

y=x+9xy=x+\frac{9}{x} then

dydx=19x2\frac{dy}{dx} = 1 - \displaystyle \frac{9}{x^2}

So the gradient when x=3 comes out as 0. Thus the equation for the tangent to the curve at x=3 is

y6=0(x3)y=6y-6=0(x-3) \Rightarrow y=6

Is that correct? :s-smilie:

my teacher didnt explain anything to us tbh, not using an excuse but how did u get from x+9/x to 1-9/x^2?
Reply 12
hopes
my teacher didnt explain anything to us tbh, not using an excuse but how did u get from x+9/x to 1-9/x^2?

If you don't understand this step, I think you need to go back and revise differentiation. This is fairly standard stuff so it's important that you understand it before you meet the trickier maths that's yet to come. :smile:
Reply 13
BJack
If you don't understand this step, I think you need to go back and revise differentiation. This is fairly standard stuff so it's important that you understand it before you meet the trickier maths that's yet to come. :smile:

ive been trying to all day tbh, i know how to differentiate stuff like 1/3x^2 but when it involves an x plus value it completely throws me off.
Reply 14
hopes
ive been trying to all day tbh, i know how to differentiate stuff like 1/3x^2 but when it involves an x plus value it completely throws me off.

Well you know that x differentiates to 1 and 9/x differentiates to 9x2-\frac{9}{x^2}, right? Well then you just add those together at the end.
Consider a/x as ax^-1 then the differentiation would be -ax^-2 = -a/(x^2)

Latest