The Student Room Group

GCSE Allowed Calculators Help

Hi, I'm kinda confused on the allowed cals in the Edexcel GCSE. My teacher has said he thinks graphing cals arn't allowed but I'm seeing lost of conflicting info online. I currently have a HP 39gs but I'm looking at getting a CG50 or Ti nspire CX. Any advise would be appreciated
Reply 1
Calculators are allowed in almost all A level and GCSE exams and there's no difference between the calculator allowed in one or another -i.e. those permitted in A level are also OK in GCSE. The rules https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/ICE_21-22_FINAL.pdf say:

Calculators must be:
of a size suitable for use on the desk;
either battery or solar powered;
free of lids, cases and covers which have printed instructions or formulae.

Calculators must not:
be designed or adapted to offer any of these facilities:

language translators;

symbolic algebra manipulation;

symbolic differentiation or integration;

communication with other machines or the internet;

be borrowed from another candidate during an examination for any reason;

have retrievable information stored in them This includes:

databanks;

dictionaries;

mathematical formulae;

text.

The candidate is responsible for the following: the calculator’s power supply; the calculator’s working condition; clearing anything stored in the calculator.
hi, thanks for the info. since only the nspire CAS has symbolic algebra manipulation does this mean that the regular CX version would be allowed ? I can't find any other info saying it has any feature disqualifing it.

Original post by EOData
Calculators are allowed in almost all A level and GCSE exams and there's no difference between the calculator allowed in one or another -i.e. those permitted in A level are also OK in GCSE. The rules https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/ICE_21-22_FINAL.pdf say:

interesting, I was under the impression A-Level calculators were not allowed in GCSEs
Reply 3
Original post by Faisal_Ahmed
hi, thanks for the info. since only the nspire CAS has symbolic algebra manipulation does this mean that the regular CX version would be allowed ? I can't find any other info saying it has any feature disqualifing it.

interesting, I was under the impression A-Level calculators were not allowed in GCSEs

Not familiar with that calculator so can't tell you.

The rules for permitted calculators have been common to all GCSEs and A levels for at least the past 18 years. However, there's no point bringing a calculator to (say) a GCSE Business or Biology exam that is so complicated you can't work out how to use it when you need barely any of the functions.
Original post by EOData
Not familiar with that calculator so can't tell you.

The rules for permitted calculators have been common to all GCSEs and A levels for at least the past 18 years. However, there's no point bringing a calculator to (say) a GCSE Business or Biology exam that is so complicated you can't work out how to use it when you need barely any of the functions.

yeah, it's mainly for maths so I can double check answers etc, ust gives me a bit of extra reassurance. ideally I wan't to purchase one now/soon so I can learn it proporly. I have got used to my HP 39GS, but the graphs arn't the most accurate (especially with cubics) and it can't fo fractions otherwise it's a pretty nice calculator

Quick Reply

Latest