The Student Room Group
Assuming you are familiar with Ohm's law (V=IRV = IR) and the equation for power dissipated in resistor (P=I2RP = I^{2}R), then you can split the problem up as follows.

First, work out the resistances of each of the three sub-blocks of the circuit (first block being the 2 Ω2~\Omega resistors in parallel, second block being the 2 Ω2~\Omega resistor on its own, and third block being the three sets of resistors in parallel. Then, work out the current through each block in terms of the (unknown) total voltage VV and the resistances you just calcuated (hint: the total current should be equal to V/9V/9).

Then, you can work out the power dissipated in each resistor for every block, set it equal to 2 W2~W and see which gives the lowest limiting voltage. The first two blocks are straightforward, but the last block is a bit trickier. Remember that the current through each branch of block must sum to the total current through the block, and don't forget to split the current going through the two 20 Ω20~\Omega resistors in parallel.

See how you go with that.
(edited 2 years ago)
(Original post by KezramKim)I have a question that shows a bunch of resistors with known resistances in parallel and series. The emf is unknown and the question says that no more than 2w can be dissipated through any resistor, what is the maximum emf allowed? I have no idea how to go about solving this, I understand you have to do it in sections or something but I have no idea how to reach the solution.
Here is a link to the question:
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/a_power_problem
Thanks!

"I understand you have to do it in sections".
Absolutely!
For the first step, have you tried calculating the overall resistance of the array of resistors?
If you are doing AQA A Level Physics, then you will come across a section on potential dividers. For resistors in series (you can count a parallel array of resistors as a single resistor for this purpose -- calculate its overall resistance), the ratio of the resistance of an individual resistor to the total resistance is equal to that of the PD across that resistor to the total PD. You should be able to use this to simplify the diagram a bit, and then calculate the power dissipated through each resistor.
This might not be helpful if you're doing it by a different method, but it helped me to reach the answer.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by lordaxil
Assuming you are familiar with Ohm's law (V=IRV = IR) and the equation for power dissipated in resistor (P=I2RP = I^{2}R), then you can split the problem up as follows.

First, work out the resistances of each of the three sub-blocks of the circuit (first block being the 2 Ω2~\Omega resistors in parallel, second block being the 2 Ω2~\Omega resistor on its own, and third block being the three sets of resistors in parallel. Then, work out the current through each block in terms of the (unknown) total voltage VV and the resistances you just calcuated (hint: the total current should be equal to V/9V/9).

Then, you can work out the power dissipated in each resistor for every block, set it equal to 2 W2~W and see which gives the lowest limiting voltage. The first two blocks are straightforward, but the last block is a bit trickier. Remember that the current through each branch of block must sum to the total current through the block, and don't forget to split the current going through the two 20 Ω20~\Omega resistors in parallel.

Ok, so do I just do the calculation for each block as (V/Rtotal for that block)2 multiplied by Rtotal for that block = 2W?
I understand overall Ohm's Law and the equation for power separately but I'm still unsure what "working out the power dissipated in each resistor for every block" entails exactly.
Thanks for the help so far!
Original post by KezramKim
Ok, so do I just do the calculation for each block as (V/Rtotal for that block)2 multiplied by Rtotal for that block = 2W?

Yes, although the power equation is actually V2/RV^{2}/R. I actually think it may be easier to apply it in the form I2RI^2 R but use whatever form works best for you.

Let's look at the first block (two 2 Ω2~\Omega resistors in parallel) as an example. The resistance of this block is (1/2+1/2)1=1 Ω(1/2 + 1/2)^{-1} = 1~\Omega, using formula for resistors in parallel, and the current flowing through each resistor is half of the total current 1/2×V/9=V/181/2 \times V/9 = V/18 (you should be able to calculate total current by applying Ohm's law to whole circuit). So, the power dissipated in each of the two resistors is (V/18)2×2=V2/162(V/18)^2 \times 2 = V^2/162. This must be less than 2 W, and so V2<234    V<18V^2 < 234 \implies V < 18 volts.

See if you can apply the same procedure to the other blocks.
Reply 5
Yes, although the power equation is actually V2/RV^{2}/R. I actually think it may be easier to apply it in the form I2RI^2 R but use whatever form works best for you.

Let's look at the first block (two 2 Ω2~\Omega resistors in parallel) as an example. The resistance of this block is (1/2+1/2)1=1 Ω(1/2 + 1/2)^{-1} = 1~\Omega, using formula for resistors in parallel, and the current flowing through each resistor is half of the total current 1/2×V/9=V/181/2 \times V/9 = V/18 (you should be able to calculate total current by applying Ohm's law to whole circuit). So, the power dissipated in each of the two resistors is (V/18)2×2=V2/162(V/18)^2 \times 2 = V^2/162. This must be less than 2 W, and so V2<234    V<18V^2 < 234 \implies V < 18 volts.

See if you can apply the same procedure to the other blocks.

Ok, so I did that for the second block which is just the single 2ohm resistor and found that V<9volts but I'm still unsure of how to do the third block like this. I feel like it won't be as simple as 1/3 of the total current going to each of the three parts.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by KezramKim
Ok, so I did that for the second block which is just the single 2ohm resistor and found that V<9volts

Correct.

but I'm still unsure of how to do the third block like this. I feel like it won't be as simple as 1/3 of the total current going to each of the three parts.

You're right - it isn't. The 15 Ω15~\Omega resistor will carry a greater share of the current than the other two branches. To work out the current through each branch, consider the potential difference across each branch (6V/96 V/9) and then use the power formula as before.
Reply 7
Correct.

You're right - it isn't. The 15 Ω15~\Omega resistor will carry a greater share of the current than the other two branches. To work out the current through each branch, consider the potential difference across each branch (6V/96 V/9) and then use the power formula as before.

Thank you so much! I finally managed to do it starting with the bottom one. Based on Isaac physics wanting a certain amount of significant figures and the second row using a lot of decimals, I just guessed with the answer I got from that before moving on to the top row and it was correct! I'm relatively confident that I could have done the top row too but I'm also glad nonetheless. Thank you again for all your help!
Good stuff, well done.

Hi, I just used this method and it worked, but I don't fully understand the theory behind it. Could you or anyone explain this conceptually?
Reply 10
Essentially, like all circuit problems, it's just a repeated application of the Kirchoff circuit laws. However, in actuality, this requires a bit of experience to know how to do efficiently. The best strategy is just to practice a lot of questions, building up in complexity (the one above is relatively challenging if you're new to it).

Latest