The Student Room Group

Isaac physics quantum mechanics primer difficulty level

I am a year 13 A level student who wants to study physics at university (I currently take physics, chemistry and maths). Recently I bought the Issac physics quantum mechanics primer to give me an idea of the physics I might see at univerity and I am stuck on exercise 1.3 (not for lack of trying. I've spent about four hours on this stupid question over the last two days). I''m worried that it's rated as very easy on the isaac physics website. I understand everything in the book so far, as well as the explanation for the previous question. Is this a warning sign that I might not be smart enough for physics? I've never really struggled terribly in physics or maths at school (I also did further maths at AS level) but the questions in this book are just destroying my brain. Did anyone else struggle with them this much?

Also does anyone know of any resources I could use other than the book which I could use to understand this question because I think after four hours I am unlikely to get to the solution myself?
Reply 1
Original post by giugiufiflyflyuf
I am a year 13 A level student who wants to study physics at university (I currently take physics, chemistry and maths). Recently I bought the Issac physics quantum mechanics primer to give me an idea of the physics I might see at univerity and I am stuck on exercise 1.3 (not for lack of trying. I've spent about four hours on this stupid question over the last two days). I''m worried that it's rated as very easy on the isaac physics website. I understand everything in the book so far, as well as the explanation for the previous question. Is this a warning sign that I might not be smart enough for physics? I've never really struggled terribly in physics or maths at school (I also did further maths at AS level) but the questions in this book are just destroying my brain. Did anyone else struggle with them this much?

Also does anyone know of any resources I could use other than the book which I could use to understand this question because I think after four hours I am unlikely to get to the solution myself?

Considering most people who go on to do degrees in physics( and most subjects) only really explore what's shown in A-levels i wouldn't let something you've decided to do of your own accord get you down. The fact you've decided to have a go shows you're more suitable than most :smile:

You can post the question here and see if anyone can help though? Chances are most people dont own the course so don't know what question you're on about.
Original post by Skiwi
Considering most people who go on to do degrees in physics( and most subjects) only really explore what's shown in A-levels i wouldn't let something you've decided to do of your own accord get you down. The fact you've decided to have a go shows you're more suitable than most :smile:

You can post the question here and see if anyone can help though? Chances are most people dont own the course so don't know what question you're on about.

Hi. Thanks for responding! I guess I got a bit worked up into a panic over the question lol and overthought it. I probably will post it at some point but I'm a bit stubborn so will probably keep trying at it first. I was mostly wanting to see if anyone else had tried the same book to see if I was finding it unreasonably difficult.
Original post by giugiufiflyflyuf

“… it's rated as very easy on the isaac physics website.”
Can you provide a link where it says what you have said?

Physics problem-solving skill at A level can be quite different at the university level. You have not struggled in doing physics at school, which mean you can have a high proficient “understanding” of the content of physics for A level. This however does not necessarily mean you have high-level problem-solving skills IMO. 😊
In A-level Physics, most of the physics problems can be “solved” without making connections with more than 3 concepts and most of the problems do not differ much.

Having to struggle to solve a problem is a good sign NOT a bad sign. We learn and understand more during our struggle to solve the problem.
If you are interested in solving the problem 1.3, you can try the following:
Make a sketch of the problem: the ramp, particle, with other info from the problem.
Draw the various forces on the particle on the ramp

Avoid looking at spoiler to solve the problem. All the info is on your sketch.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest