The Student Room Group

Non-vax covid defences

Apart from getting jabbed ( or not getting jabbed), what defences against the disease are you marshalling?
Reply 1
Original post by NJA
Apart from getting jabbed ( or not getting jabbed), what defences against the disease are you marshalling?

I have drawn a cross on every window in my house. If that doesn't stop the virus, I don't know what will!
Original post by hotpud
I have drawn a cross on every window in my house. If that doesn't stop the virus, I don't know what will!

I dunno, you could try horse tranquilizer?
Reply 3
Colloidal silver: i.e. silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) in solution, which can be used in a spray . . .
An inhibitor not a complete protection or cure . . .

"Ag is long known for its antimicrobial effect and the antiviral property of AgNPs is being extensively researched with renewed interest in the recent past. The exact mechanism by which AgNPs exert its killing effect on viruses is still obscure. However, it has been consistently observed that AgNPs interact with the structural proteins on the surface of extracellular viruses to inhibit infection in the early phase, by either preventing viral attachment or entry, or by damaging the surface proteins to affect the structural integrity of virions. . . "

Source
Copied here on CDC website
Reply 4
Green tea (brew under 60 degrees C)
Many are pointing to the, at least theoretical effect of it against Covid, incl Swansea Uni.

Results
Recent studies have revealed the possible binding sites present on SARS-CoV-2 and studied their interactions with tea polyphenols. EGCG and theaflavins, especially theaflavin-3,3′-digallate (TF3) have shown a significant interaction with the receptors under consideration in this review. Some docking studies further emphasize on the activity of these polyphenols against COVID-19.

Conclusion
This review summarizes the available reports and evidences which support the use of tea polyphenols as potential candidates in prophylaxis and treatment of COVID-19.
Source
(edited 2 years ago)
I take a multivitamin supplement, eat relatively healthy (although in recent weeks I've been slipping on that) and work out a good 4 times a week, ideally 5 but not always. I've had colds and flus before and I'm always fine, I've no particular reason to believe covid will be any different. People shouldn't be living in fear of a virus, risk is part of life. What's the point of living to 120 and being sat in a care home, when the only stories of life you can bore the care workers with is "I sat inside a hermetically sealed bubble too terrified of doing anything in life"
Not much over and above my usual defences (e.g. basic hygiene, facing away from people and covering my mouth if I need to cough/sneeze etc.)

I suppose also as a matter of courtesy if I think that someone is concerned about the virus, or if I see someone wearing a mask in public I’d try to avoid standing too close to them or shaking their hand, if I got in a lift with them I’d face away from them etc.
Reply 7
Original post by Sabertooth
I dunno, you could try horse tranquilizer?

Japan has
Reply 8
Lose weight if you are obese:
"Living with excess weight puts people at greater risk of serious illness or death from COVID-19, with risk growing substantially as body mass index (BMI) increases. Nearly 8% of critically ill patients with COVID-19 in intensive care units have been morbidly obese, compared with 2.9% of the general population."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-obesity-strategy-unveiled-as-country-urged-to-lose-weight-to-beat-coronavirus-covid-19-and-protect-the-nhs#:~:text=Living%20with%20excess%20weight%20puts,of%20the%20general%20population.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by NJA
Lose weight if you are obese:
"Living with excess weight puts people at greater risk of serious illness or death from COVID-19, with risk growing substantially as body mass index (BMI) increases. Nearly 8% of critically ill patients with COVID-19 in intensive care units have been morbidly obese, compared with 2.9% of the general population."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-obesity-strategy-unveiled-as-country-urged-to-lose-weight-to-beat-coronavirus-covid-19-and-protect-the-nhs#:~:text=Living%20with%20excess%20weight%20puts,of%20the%20general%20population.

The BBC and Yahoo do not even mention obesity regarding the sad deaths of these 14-year olds.
The coroner is expected to attribute "natural causes (!?)

A pharmacist friend of mine says:
"Abdominal obesity is associated with vascular endothelial dysfunction, caused by a reduced nitric oxide availability secondary to an enhanced oxidative stress production. Pro-inflammatory cytokine generation is a major mechanism whereby obesity is associated with a reduced NO availability."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending