The Student Room Group

Should there be further lockdowns in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Callicious
The vaccine prevents death

This is not true - people who are vaccinated can still die from covid.
Original post by black tea
This is not true - people who are vaccinated can still die from covid.

Alright alright I'll change it. I know it doesn't prevent death (statistically minimizes it) but I was trying to make a point that it isn't entirely worthless. If I had to define everything perfectly I'd be here all day writing into every last little detail on the exact percentages and etymology of it all.
(edited 2 years ago)
Don’t be so insensitive. You obviously haven’t lost someone close to you, have you?
So why would you say that you would rather see funerals galore?
I personally think that, give it until after Christmas, we will have another lockdown on our hands.
It's going to happen. It's inevitable.
Yes, there are many ways for a person to die and Covid is one of them. However, I don’t agree with saying that a person is eventually going to die so why bother trying to treat them. That person could be a much loved relative or friend of someone. Simply saying that people need to realise that death is a part of life is completely absurd because it’s not easy to think of it that way.

I lost some of my close relatives to Covid and other ways and I wish that they were still here with us everyday. Therefore, I can imagine what it’s like for others who have lost someone close to them. Given you have attended funerals yourself, do you not feel sympathetic towards those who have lost someone?
(edited 2 years ago)
The new variant hasn't even started spreading in the UK yet - so there is no justification for a lockdown at present, or for people to start panicking tbh.

Schools will already have plans in place for what to do IF exams get can cancelled again - unfortunately that will involve lots of class or online tests - but there is no reason at the moment to assume it will come to that. Hospitalisations and deaths are still under control thanks to the vaccination programme and most new cases here now are in young children as they are one of the few groups left unvaccinated.

The governement has learnt its lesson from Delta and has acted quickly this time to shut down travel from countries that potentially pose a risk to us while we work out how best to deal with the new variant.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 67
safe to assume you haven't lost your job or housing due to lockdown unlike my clients. no wonder you're in favour of it
Original post by Anonymous
But look at Austria and Slovakia

That doesn't translate to all other countries though :s-smilie:
Original post by CoolCavy
Can we lockdown the use of anonymous to stop making these threads :holmes:

Yep :biggrin:
Threads merged and OP replaced :yy:
Original post by 04MR17
Yep :biggrin:
Threads merged and OP replaced :yy:

Why did the OP need to be replaced 🤨
Original post by rosy_posy
Why did the OP need to be replaced 🤨
Because I tweaked the thread title and needed to add a Volunteer Note to the first post anyway. We've had feedback that keeping the original OP as the first post is disingenuous while doing this.
We need a lockdown now not at Christmas
Your taxes also pay for the upkeep of cemeteries by the way, so either way you're still paying.
only way to stop this virus is full lockdown and shut the schools, it needs to happen immediately
Original post by rosy_posy
That doesn't translate to all other countries though :s-smilie:

I know but when Europe went into lockdown before whatbdid the UK do. Lockdown. I'm not trying to compare them im just saying whatever Europe does the UK follows suit. It's a shame but I don't see any way in which we can avoid locking down and everything because we are not sure the vaccine works against this. Plus they're also trying to follow what Australia do. Not as extreme. However 2 cases all mask wearing indoors what happens when we have 10/20 cases? I don't want to be so pessimistic but there is no positives in this situation.
Bit grim
Original post by DD Lonely
We need a lockdown now not at Christmas

To be honest if there was a lockdown i would Rather have it in a weeks time because i want to be with the person I love when I'm locked down.
Original post by Kentinho99
To be honest if there was a lockdown i would Rather have it in a weeks time because i want to be with the person I love when I'm locked down.

yeah but by then cases could be out of control and the NHS overwhelmed we need a lockdown now
Lockdown would mean the return of furlough pay, and I just don't see that happening. It would also mean reintroducing work from home as an official recommendation, which the Tories are against because they despise the British public.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending