The Student Room Group

discrimination in jobs and getting hired

Do you think your name and image effects if your get a job? this is mostly aimed BAME.
Image in the sense of first impressions projected on sight, fashion sense and social media profile content- definitely does.
Name often does.
Same with nationality and accent.

My first name often gets me mistaken for jewish or israeli, attracting too much hostile attention from troublemakers and conspiracy theorists.
I've had this since I was a small child, a few years ago years ago I got the banks & credit card companies to issue me cards that only show the first letter of my name and surname.
However, it is important to remember that different people have different priorities and attitudes.
Different employers & recruitment consultants will often have very different preferences and recruitment traditions.
Unconscious bias is a real thing, so yes. Beyond name and image, there's also associated stereotypes which may make employers think that you may not fit in with the 'company's culture'.
I've been treated unfairly since early childhood because my disabilities and social class. Force to have bad education treated differently by teachers too my peers. My family making me feel ashamed at having disabilities.

I find it harder than anybody i know to find employment including bame. The statistics back up my experience people with disabilities and from working class are the least likely to be employed and in low skilled poorly paid jobs
I definitely think image plays a large part in job selection.

How you treat your own body and present yourself surely has some bearing on how you might treat other people and the job in hand.

For example a woman/girl who is totally obsessed with herself and how she looks, strolling into an interview with large fake eyelashes, a trout pout lip job, ridiculous oversized false nails and so on would not imo present very well for many job types. How on earth can such people use a computer keyboard for example? The best way to maximise job opportunities imo is to present yourself as very understated, neutral, willing to conform to the obvious image associated with the job type.

One's name should not imo matter, neither one's gender or age. However we seem to have gone from an age of ruthless anti-discrimination (to the point where you can't ask people to declare their age on job applications) to one of very wilful discrimination.

We are now fully reversing previously good anti-discrimination policies by ushering in ridiculous vaccine passporting mandates for jobs like health workers. This is pure discrimination against perfectly safe workers who have recovered from Covid and have natural immunity. It's abhorrent to mandate vaccinations for such people. Doing so makes an utter mockery of all the years of progress that were previously made towards cutting out discrimination.

If you're going to discriminate against ordinary people with natural immunity then you might just as well discriminate against black people, and old people, and disabled people. Where does it end?

Back in the dark ages. As Orwell rightly predicted in 1984.
Original post by looloo2134
I've been treated unfairly since early childhood because my disabilities and social class. Force to have bad education treated differently by teachers too my peers. My family making me feel ashamed at having disabilities.

I find it harder than anybody i know to find employment including bame. The statistics back up my experience people with disabilities and from working class are the least likely to be employed and in low skilled poorly paid jobs

Only 20% of people with my condition ASD report being in employment at all, which is quite a shocking statistic, all things considered. I am quite lucky in that I don’t face the kind of employment barrier some do as my autism isn’t really discernible to others.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/disability/articles/outcomesfordisabledpeopleintheuk/2020
Original post by Cancelled Alice
Only 20% of people with my condition ASD report being in employment at all, which is quite a shocking statistic, all things considered. I am quite lucky in that I don’t face the kind of employment barrier some do as my autism isn’t really discernible to others.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/disability/articles/outcomesfordisabledpeopleintheuk/2020

You forget social class and were you live and gender. A white working class boy from the northeast is least likely person without any disabilities to go into higher education, further education be at good excellent Ofsted rated school. They also most likely be homeless unemployed be in dangerous poor paid jobs, be careers and be in poor health as adults etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by looloo2134
You forget social class and were you live and gender.
A white working class boy from the northeast is least likely person without any disabilities to go into higher education, further education be at good excellent Ofsted rated school. They also most likely be homeless unemployed be in dangerous poor paid jobs, be careers and be in poor health as adults etc.

That doesn’t surprise me to be honest.
In my area, everyone know who’s working class and who’s middle class as soon as a person begins to speak, there’s no getting away from it.
Original post by Cancelled Alice
That doesn’t surprise me to be honest.
In my area, everyone know who’s working class and who’s middle class as soon as a person begins to speak, there’s no getting away from it.

That because working class people especially white boys/men don't get the same opportunities. Even when you compare twins a boy and a girl both brought up in loving working class family the girl is more likely to get thr grades to go into higher education further education employment apprenticeships

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending