The Student Room Group

Is there really a need for more advanced technologies?

Reply 1
Yes.
have yall seen I,Robot tho :0
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by frenzyAsks

Yes. Do you seriously, and without a shadow of a doubt, believe that our current technology is perfect and infallible?
What's the point of humanity if we don't innovate?
Reply 5
When I usually ponder this kind of question, what frightens me is that technological development might be advancing too fast than what the economy and social welfare of any nation could cope with.

For instance is the yellow jackets protests (Mouvement des gilets jaunes) we witnessed in France; not to mention the slow development of less economically developed countries (LEDCs) such as Thailand.

The worst outcome of such speeds is that a whole load more of people with menial jobs would fall into poverty, and this inevitably leads to the increased number of unjust deaths due to poverty. It is a daunting way of life, and it is unfortunate that very little countries have decent social and political environments for the population and economy to thrive in.

So, is technological advancement necessary? In this day and age, I would argue that it is not outside of medical research.
(edited 2 years ago)
Thread has been renamed to ‘Is there really a need for more advanced technologies?’ and moved to the ‘Society’ forum. :yy:
Reply 7
Original post by wifd149
When I usually ponder this kind of question, what frightens me is that technological development might be advancing too fast than what the economy and social welfare of any nation could cope with.

For instance is the yellow jackets protests (Mouvement des gilets jaunes) we witnessed in France; not to mention the slow development of less economically developed countries (LEDCs) such as Thailand.

The worst outcome of such speeds is that a whole load more of people with menial jobs would fall into poverty, and this inevitably leads to the increased number of unjust deaths due to poverty. It is a daunting way of life, and it is unfortunate that very little countries have decent social and political environments for the population and economy to thrive in.

So, is technological advancement necessary? In this day and age, I would argue that it is not outside of medical research.

Is this anything new though. When the spinning jenny came along peasants who had for years been handing down the family loom down to their children to spin cotton and weave cloth were suddenly forced out of business because of mechanisation at what was the start of the industrial revolution. We are at the start of the digital and information revolution. New technology. Big societal upheaval. Regulation. Normality prevails. And we talk about the ever increasing pace of technology, but if you think about it, nothing massively knew has come into our existence for 10 years or so since the introduction of smart phones and social media and even they are only an evolution of previous ideas.

The big change that has happened that I can think of is the democratisation of mass communication. Once the preserve of the rich or powerful, technology has allowed anyone to broadcast to the world for free. There are ups and downs to this and no doubt regulation will find the right balance at some point.

I am hopeful.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by hotpud
Is this anything new though. When the spinning jenny came along peasants who had for years been handing down the family loom down to their children to spin cotton and weave cloth were suddenly forced out of business because of mechanisation at what was the start of the industrial revolution. We are at the start of the digital and information revolution. New technology. Big societal upheaval. Regulation. Normality prevails. And we talk about the ever increasing pace of technology, but if you think about it, nothing massively knew has come into our existence for 10 years or so since the introduction of smart phones and social media and even they are only an evolution of previous ideas.

Not new as a concept, albeit new as in the current scale of removing entire classes or categories of work out of the economy. For instance, at the pace we are going, it will not only be the primary and secondary industrial sectors that would get affected but also a substantial amount of tertiary, and quaternary (to an extent), sectors. Take for example, the thousands of people working in accounting firms that can be easily replaced. In totality, the enormous amount of people becoming unemployed, without having a national plan to mitigate this, is too much for a single nation to cope.

Granted one can also argue that just because new technologies are discovered and developed, doesn't mean that they are put into use swiftly. Although, a worry I suppose is that even if there was a good grace period to figure out plans, etc., it appears that a lot of politicians are incapable of doing such things. For example, the US is having issues in managing the people that worked in the coal sector.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending