The Student Room Group

Equality ✨👀

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 64Lightbulbs
I have explained already how being overweight isn't inherently unhealthy. just stating that it is and saying you don't understand doesn't refute my point.

historically people have been attracted to signs of wealth. Being able to afford not to work and to eat a lot of food was considered attractive. now, being able to devote money and time to complex workouts and special diets is attractive.

Don't you find it weird that companies have to promote a body type you think people are "naturally" attracted to? if that were true wouldn't they not have to promote it?

Having flawless skin is a very hard to attain beauty standard, yet women are statistically less likely to be chosen during job interviews if they don't wear make up. There are social pressures to pursue unattainable beauty standards, and there are repercussions for people who do not live up to them.
I can link statistics for the above if you would like.

Anorexia is a mental disorder and isn't mainly defined by the way you look. You can be overweight or an average weight and anorexic (called atypical anorexia). You keep applying what you find attractive universally. Whether the idea you have of anorexic people in your head seems attractive to you is entirely irrelevant to this.

It is inherently unhealthy though.
It increases your chance of getting many, many diseases.
They (companies) don't have to. They make money by doing so. If you promote fat people you're not going to get nearly as much money because they're not attractive. You see, the companies follow society rather than vice versa, and that's what I suspect you've got mixed up here.
'Unattainable'?
No, people can look attractive without meeting these 'unattainable' beauty standards.
Literally all a female needs to do to be conventionally attractive is to have a reasonably decent-looking face and to be thin. However being too thin... well diminishing returns applies here...
I don't think this is 'unrealistic' or 'unattainable' for anyone whether they're genetically predisposed to being overweight or not.

OK then, what I really meant is those who are anorexic who end up very, very skinny as a result. They are not considered attractive either.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hungrysalamander
While processed foods do play a part in obesity, we can't deny that the higher purchasing power for food as well as availibility leads to more gluttony on top of unhealthy diets. Shouldn't we cut down on calories if you're aiming for weight loss? In that case, calories are irrelevant in costs, but fibre in the food is more important as fibre reduces apetite. High fibre foods, such as banana, broccoli, sweet potato, carrot etc are all relatively cheap from the supermarket for the fibre they provide. I am on topic since you mentioned economics with obesity, and diet plays a role in it. What's the difference between cardio on a treadmill and in a park? Let's take data from Harvard as a reference. For a 185lb (84kg) individual, walking at 4mph burns 189 calories, jogging burns 252 and cycling at 14mph will burn 420 calories in 30 minutes. for comparison, weighlifting at a gym will burn 126 calories. Cycling as a commute isn't much to ask for especially when it's free once you buy a bike. I will need a source for life expectance for slightly overweight people. Obese people tend to live 4 years shorter than healthy people. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46031332
Shouldn't prevention be more important than management in any disease? Any managament will decrease quality of life and cost extra for the healthcare system so it's irresponsible to deny that "fat people aren't inheriently unhealthy". So you do agree that overweight people don't fit the beauty standard, therefore aren't conventionally attractive? BMI is simplified when it comes to overall health, but it does give a good idea of what people should be aiming for as it is easy to understand, hence why I use it as a reference to what is attractive.
People can choose to ignore the unattainable standards and set more realistic goals. Kasdashians are famous for drama and their stupid antics, their beauty line is just what they need for profit so they have their own interests.
Overweight people are less likely to be picked for interview because of its externalities. Overweight employees will be less productive if they require more medical appointments and sick leave, which is a valid concern for a workplace if their employee needs to take extended leaves often.

It's much cheaper to fill up on foods with a high caloric density than those with a low one, that contain fibre.

Hard to find the energy/motivation to jog if you're working 2 or 3 jobs or you have a couple kids to worry about. If you're main source of income is passive it's much easier to spend 2 hours a day maintaining the ideal body type. (not saying there aren't outliers, just that maintaining your physical appearance to that degree is much harder with limited resources)

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090625/study-overweight-people-live-longer#1
slightly overweight people tend to live the longest. extra fat provides protection in old age from joint damage (? i can't quite remember) and doesn't have as many major risks. the ideal body type is not about health because the ideal body type isn't always the healthiest way to be. (and not everyone in the average category is actually within what you would call slim/attractive)

not sure what i was attempting to get that point back to with management cause it's been 2 days, but if i had to rephrase it...
secondary problems due to being severely overweight are manageable and not the end of the world, but being slightly overweight, or having your body fat distributed in a way that does not fit the beauty standard isn't the same as having heart disease.

I agree, overweight people do not fit the beauty standard. I don't know if you've been paying attention but I'm arguing that the ideal body type is not static and innate, and the whole concept of having an ideal body that people should strive for sounds a little dystopic.

Ignoring the idea fat people needing more sick leave/medical appointments is a huge generalization, It is illegal to not hire someone based on medical condition in the US, I'm assuming in the UK as well. If you'd like to outright say you don't care about disabled people's rights you can. This scenario is not something provable in court, but I'd assume you'd agree with the sentiment of the law.
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
It's much cheaper to fill up on foods with a high caloric density than those with a low one, that contain fibre.

Hard to find the energy/motivation to jog if you're working 2 or 3 jobs or you have a couple kids to worry about. If you're main source of income is passive it's much easier to spend 2 hours a day maintaining the ideal body type. (not saying there aren't outliers, just that maintaining your physical appearance to that degree is much harder with limited resources)

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090625/study-overweight-people-live-longer#1
slightly overweight people tend to live the longest. extra fat provides protection in old age from joint damage (? i can't quite remember) and doesn't have as many major risks. the ideal body type is not about health because the ideal body type isn't always the healthiest way to be. (and not everyone in the average category is actually within what you would call slim/attractive)

not sure what i was attempting to get that point back to with management cause it's been 2 days, but if i had to rephrase it...
secondary problems due to being severely overweight are manageable and not the end of the world, but being slightly overweight, or having your body fat distributed in a way that does not fit the beauty standard isn't the same as having heart disease.

I agree, overweight people do not fit the beauty standard. I don't know if you've been paying attention but I'm arguing that the ideal body type is not static and innate, and the whole concept of having an ideal body that people should strive for sounds a little dystopic.

Ignoring the idea fat people needing more sick leave/medical appointments is a huge generalization, It is illegal to not hire someone based on medical condition in the US, I'm assuming in the UK as well. If you'd like to outright say you don't care about disabled people's rights you can. This scenario is not something provable in court, but I'd assume you'd agree with the sentiment of the law.

As I have already said, the whole point of a diet to induce weight loss is to decrease calorie intake, hence filling up on high calorie dense foods is completely counter intuitive. If you look up costs of food by mass (can’t be bothered to look it up by fibre), you will find that bananas are £0.73/kg, carrots are £0.40/kg sweet potatoes are £1.10/kg, broccoli is £1.31/kg. Compare that to 20% fat beef mince, which is £3.58/kg and the price increases as you get leaner mince, chicken breast, at £5.37/kg and streaky bacon at £6.67/kg goes to show that it is, in fact, not cheaper to eat more meat and it is not as expensive as you think to eat more vegetables.
Again, I have suggested exercises which maximises calories burnt with time. If they work 2/3 jobs, then riding a bike between them is perfect to burn calories or walking if it’s close. You also get the benefit of saving money on public transport or fuel and maintenance for your car.
Your article is slightly outdated, being from 2009. Plenty of studies say otherwise.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27966405/
https://www.livescience.com/62355-obesity-paradox-muscle-mass.html
There’s no such thing as “severely overweight”, the word for that is obese, but there is a condition known as “severely obese”, which is a BMI above 40. The main goal in healthcare is never treatment or management of a disease, but to prevent a disease from occurring in the first place. That’s why risk factors, like smoking or obesity should be minimised, rather than treating a disease which could lead to further complications and a reduction in quality of life. A bit off topic but it’s also why we vaccinate to prevent a communicable disease to reduce severe cases. Even more off-topic but still a bit relevant in today’s world, overweight people have a higher COVID mortality and hospitalisation rate. Being overweight should be a warning sign to start changing their lifestyle so that they don’t move on to becoming obese.
Changing perception of society as a whole, which includes less open-minded people like me when it comes to weight, will be a lot harder than improving yourself to become more attractive. I’ve never argued for ideal body types like hourglass shapes, all I’m asking for is to not be overweight or underweight. We’re already in an obesity epidemic and I don’t think we should encourage people to not change themselves.
You would definitely not want to hear about the airline industry then. A lot of airlines, especially in East/Southeast Asia, will not hire any overweight crew member. Isn’t not hiring someone based on a medical condition also a huge generalisation since it’s a requirement for some industries and there are exceptions to it. You’re not going to expect an amputee to work in construction, or you wouldn’t want a pilot to suffer from mental health conditions for example, but there are plenty of other jobs which are available to them as long as they don’t endanger anyone and are able to do the work. I do not know anything about law in any country, so I’ll leave it at that. I do think that we should make most things accessible to disabled people, but that’s for another conversation. If what the companies are doing is illegal, then there’s nothing stopping a lawsuit.
Oh, wait you’re American. That makes it harder to lose weight when serving sizes are so big and cities are designed for cars, not people but I’m not saying that external factors should be blamed for obesity. Also, since you're American, you would know that any medical bill there will cost a lot more than any weight loss regime.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sufys12
Indeed being overweight should not be portrayed as beautiful because:
1) it's not.
2) it's unhealthy.
The weakness point is just politeness and in actuality women cannot carry as heavy loads as men on average so it is somewhat sensible to offer. Though personally I wouldn't try to carry anyone's load.
You are right about body shape, in general people do not care about that as long as the female is clearly of a healthy weight.

Dieting can also be very unhealthy most people who lose weight put it back on within 1 to 2 years. That why diet industry is worth billions it healthier for someone be overweight eat healthy exercise than them to be dieting all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending