The Student Room Group

Catcalling

I am honestly sick of being catcalled in the city I live in and I think it’s so important to share each other’s experiences!
Honestly it makes me so mad when men do this even if it isn’t highly sexual. For example today I was sat on a city bench with my best friend having a coffee and this old man comes up to us saying evening ladiessss. It makes me honestly feel really vulnerable even just walking on the streets even if I’m with a friend. I know some people say you need to respond to them but honestly i feel like that would make me even more scared for their reaction. I never know how to respond so just pay them no attention. The idea of a stranger coming up to me just makes me feel like I’m in danger so I sort of just freeze.
Have you been catcalled?
How did you react?
Reply 1
Original post by magnetodespacito
theres a lot of guys who do that around public transport (I get the train everyday), but in general I just sort of ignore and keep walking especially when Im on my own / its dark, sometimes just staring back at them when its on a train makes them a bit uncomfortable and less confident so most of them just look away and don't say anything again. i do think its safest to just always try and walk away, never know how someone will react. theres nothing wrong with not feeling safe to say something back and being defiant ( if u do then more power to you, but be careful).
it sucks how normal it is, but if u can get a number plate or a company name pls report it, to the police/a company, it can get them fired. if its on public transport there *will* be cameras and tapping in and out means they are sort of tracked, so note down the time and report it to tfl / police. even if nothing comes of it, it means if they do it again and someone else reports it makes it easier to actually punish. of course, if youd rather just move on and forget about it thats totally ok as well.
hope the situation improves for you, stay safe ((:

Thankyou for sharing your experience i agree with you about the ignoring them response as I feel like retaliation definitely would make me feel even more in danger. I wouldn’t rlly know how to report it tbh as it often happens to me in the street but I will definitely look into this! I think it’s important for us to remind catcallers how wrong there actions are and so maybe reporting it would do this instead of having to call them out by myself which is more dangerous. Stay safe too! Xxx
Reply 2
Original post by Katec050
For example today I was sat on a city bench with my best friend having a coffee and this old man comes up to us saying evening ladiessss. It makes me honestly feel really vulnerable even just walking on the streets even if I’m with a friend.

I am really sorry, but you are offended by people saying a polite "hello" to you? My goodness.

Agreed on catcalling. Totally unacceptable, but saying hello? That is just nice and you are throwing it back in their face. Where I live everyone says hello to each other. We also smile at strangers and they smile back. It is called being human. It is lovely.
yeah too many men think this is acceptable behaviour, we are not a sex toy or a piece of meat
Original post by hotpud
I am really sorry, but you are offended by people saying a polite "hello" to you? My goodness.

Agreed on catcalling. Totally unacceptable, but saying hello? That is just nice and you are throwing it back in their face. Where I live everyone says hello to each other. We also smile at strangers and they smile back. It is called being human. It is lovely.

Obviously wasn't a polite hello then !
its like today im walking down the road and a couple of boys shout pussyhole i mean they looked about 12
Reply 6
'hello ladies' is now classed as cat calling? Its a polite greeting, unless there is some context youve failed to give, from a generation to whom manners mattered..
Thats not to detract from the vulgar behaviour of those who whistle and actually cat call but nevertheless.
Reply 7
Original post by watashiwa
Obviously wasn't a polite hello then !

:rolleyes:
Reply 8
sorry, are you referring to catcalling or being approached on the street? :colondollar: personally don't like either and especially don't like being approached, especially since i have been assaulted on the street more than once, one time which landed me in hospital so don't trust anyone. yeah sucks cuz you're standing there feeling uncomfortable and not wanting to be talked to, but you spend all your time making sure the other person feels comfortable cuz you don't know how they'll react if they aren't.

with regards to reporting catcalling, fyi catcalling isn't illegal and the police will likely not do anything even if the same person is reported more than once cuz, as said, it isn't illegal. for the police to investigate it would have to amount to common assault, which is essentially where the 'victim' (so to speak) apprehends immediate and unlawful physical violence. just being gross and making you feel vulnerable or sexualised tho isn't going to make anyone care, unfortunately. anyways, catcalling is indeed a social problem and to eliminate it will require social shaming by one's peers.
Reply 9
Original post by hotpud

Yes I agree saying hello obviously isn’t catcalling but it was the tone he did it in which was really creepy if I’m honest. Saying good morning and
evening ladies as you pass on a bike in the pitch black has a difference. I live in a small village outside a city which is really friendly and I have experience loads of passing strangers saying hello or good morning but this tone was different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending