The Student Room Group

When is it time to check out?

So one thing the present virus situation offers us is the chance to possibly call time on living without having to actively do ourselves in. I'll state upfront that I'm not planning to do myself in, I'm not motivated to do that. However, should it really be feared the possibility of dying? Theoretically it is always there to some extent that a person could die for various reasons at any time.

Most of us though can go on to old age and it's at that point it becomes a question of how decrepit a person will become before they pass on. While medicine has helped prolong the quality of life in old age there is still no doubt that someone can get pretty decrepit before they go.

I have to say here and now the thought of becoming an increasingly old wrinkly decrepit old fart does not appeal. So do I pass on further vaccines and not worry if I end up succumbing to the virus? I'm coming towards my mid forties so while I could get a few more years decent life out after that the vision does not thrill me and to be honest with the virus around its not like the world will be a joy to experience in the next few years or so.

So do I just not worry, don't bother with the vaccines and let nature take its course whatever may happen? In some ways the present virus could be seen as an opportunity to check out by nature doing the work should it go that way but if I do all possible to avoid that then I'm headed to old age in all likelihood. To me I just don't have a lot of enthusiasm to want to get to be old, being old to me really looks like it sucks. The older you get the more it can suck. I see these pics of old peeps on Zimmer frames croaking around and it's not a scene I fancy experiencing.

Any thoughts?
Reply 1
I honestly get your point that growing old doesn't tend to appeal much.

At the moment, the reasoning behind the vaccines now is that it could prevent the illness from reaching the severity stage. In that vein, a smaller percentage of people dies due to Covid the majority lives on through it, some end up being sick for a relatively long period of time (long Covid) and few end up being severely disabled for life (lung failures, etc.) That said the vaccine isn't a 100% effective either and like allergies, some can have severe reactions to it, so make what you do with that.

On the bright side, growing old isn't solely about anyone's physical appearance. To me, it could mean that I get to spend as much time with the people that I love, to learn more about the world, and to see a lot of issues plaguing my life getting resolved. Of course this depends on the person and what their life philosophy is about. Some people live through harsh lives that I don't see why they wouldn't want to check out. Personally, I don't think that I'd want to check out quite yet so I just went along with the vaccination.
Reply 2
Original post by wifd149
I honestly get your point that growing old doesn't tend to appeal much.

At the moment, the reasoning behind the vaccines now is that it could prevent the illness from reaching the severity stage. In that vein, a smaller percentage of people dies due to Covid the majority lives on through it, some end up being sick for a relatively long period of time (long Covid) and few end up being severely disabled for life (lung failures, etc.) That said the vaccine isn't a 100% effective either and like allergies, some can have severe reactions to it, so make what you do with that.

On the bright side, growing old isn't solely about anyone's physical appearance. To me, it could mean that I get to spend as much time with the people that I love, to learn more about the world, and to see a lot of issues plaguing my life getting resolved. Of course this depends on the person and what their life philosophy is about. Some people live through harsh lives that I don't see why they wouldn't want to check out. Personally, I don't think that I'd want to check out quite yet so I just went along with the vaccination.

Yeah, the severe illness and having mobility, independence etc taken away did concern me, but then I heard you could get PIP benefit so not have to work :biggrin: Well I had the two AZ jabs but I'm giving the Pfizer booster a miss, I just don't trust a new technology that has never before been able to be brought to market in all the years they have been at it. It kind of got me to also thinking how far do I wish to pursue trying to save my life relentlessly, it might turn out to not be all a good thing as people age life can get worse, people you are close to pass on, etc. Life up to now hasn't been all bad and quality wise I have nothing to complain about. Not saying I wouldn't have liked to been living the high life getting it on with hit women etc but who wouldn't. I live in quite a nice area and am reasonably comfortably off though not really wealthy.

So at the moment I'm going to just keep playing it as it is, I wear a good mask when out in public pretty much air tight and don't mix a lot indoors. I'm aware of course I may get the new variant or another but am happy to take things on the basis that I've decided and whatever comes.

I think some old age can still be a good standard if living and modern medicine helps improve where it didn't so much a decade or two back. While modern medicine will no doubt improve further I think there comes a time when the body gets too clapped out and quality of life inevitably decline, that's the type of situation I wouldn't fancy I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending