The Student Room Group

Underage Drinking

At a Christmas performance, some 16-year old friends brought alcohol and started taking shots in the washroom. I had disagreed with their behaviour since they were 3 years under the legal age and I was concerned about them. Another friend in 10th grade didn't join in but he was ok with their behaviour because apparently it was normal. That means apparently that drinking is very normal that underage drinking is happening. We have to stop this behaviour before more people get hurt. Underage is underage, whether you like it or not.
Its 2 years under, I had the odd Smirnoff at that age and beer. No point making a big thing out of it unless it's regular then it might be worth sorting out.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
the legal drinking age is an arbitrary number. in my home country every province varies between 18 and 19. would you be this upset if an 18 year old drank in a province where the legal drinking age is 19? just wondering what the actual concern is.
Reply 3
Original post by Dilbrough
Its 2 years under, I had the odd Smirnoff at that age and beer. No point making a big thing out of it unless it's regular then it might be worth sorting out.

It's normal even for 15-year olds.
Reply 4
Original post by Joleee
the legal drinking age is an arbitrary number. in my home country every province varies between 18 and 19. would you be this upset if an 18 year old drank in a province where the legal drinking age is 19? just wondering what the actual concern is.

I wouldn't have a problem with a year under but 2-3 years under is a problem.
Original post by FlameSpirit

Why is it a problem for you?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
You sound like a real fun person to be around...
Mind your own business and let them have some fun.
Reply 7

sorry, why is 2-3 under a problem but not 1; can you please clarify? :colondollar:

so you say you're fine with 1 year underage; why may i ask? so that would mean in my home country (Canada) you're fine if a 17 year old drinks in the province of Alberta since the legal drinking age is 18. however, if that same 17 year old went to the province nextdoor of Saskatchewan where the drinking age is 19 then you would not be fine with them drinking since now they are 2 years underage, is that correct? cuz you're vehemently opposed to 2 years?

in the US the legal drinking age is 21. are you then opposed to 18 year old residents drinking as they are 3 years under?

like i'm just trying to figure out what your real concern here is cuz in the op you are adamant that, as you say, 'Underage is underage, whether you like it or not'. i'm trying to point out that 'underage' is a legal concept and an arbitrary number, but might i presume legality is not what bothers you the most in this instance and perhaps you're just using that as an excuse to defend your personal distate for 16 year olds drinking?
Reply 8
Original post by stomachulcer
Why is it a problem for you?

Because they are my friends and I don't want them to get in trouble.
Because they are my friends and I don't want them to get in trouble.

How are they going to get into trouble?
Original post by stomachulcer
How are they going to get into trouble?

They both have jobs and clearly still go to school and if they get caught, they could get a stain on their resume or whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending