The Student Room Group

Should the 1980s new man be a new role model for men?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hotpud
My apologies. When I read "men who take responsibility for themselves and stop [acting] like victims would be nice for example", I read that as all men need to take responsibility and stop acting like victims.

why did you think that tho? :colondollar: pretty telling about the environment in D&CA don't you think?

right. now i'm confused (also sorry for the typo; don't have a laptop and rely on autocorrect and also takes me an extremely long time to reply to anything longer than a sentence :frown:).

do i think all men need to take responsibility and stop acting like victims? if that's the question then yes i do. my dad, for example who is my hero, would be extremely embarrassed by 99% of comments in TSR debate section blaming everyone especially feminism and trans dudes oppressing them :hugs:
I don't think that there is a one-size-fits-all approach to role models. Everyone behaves differently and there's no single architype or set of attributes which will work for everyone. Indeed, wanting people to give people only one role model is very restrictive and limiting.

Different people relate to different things. Some people may relate to physically strong and attractive role models, while others may relate to physically weak and unattractive role models. It depends on who you are.
Reply 22
Original post by Stressed_0ut
It was more of a movement in the 1980s, here I'll leave a source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25943326

And that source says the 'new man' term wasn't defined so must have existed earlier. It's just someone coming up with a catchy soundbite for attention, because there were already men changing nappies and feeding their children. Being a decent human being never got dismissed and there are plenty of role models for men.

Don't understand where all this garbage is coming from...
Original post by SHallowvale
I don't think that there is a one-size-fits-all approach to role models. Everyone behaves differently and there's no single architype or set of attributes which will work for everyone. Indeed, wanting people to give people only one role model is very restrictive and limiting.

Different people relate to different things. Some people may relate to physically strong and attractive role models, while others may relate to physically weak and unattractive role models. It depends on who you are.

That’s a good point, it’s why it would be a good idea to have role models for men in loads of areas, however, there is not an equal amount if role models for men in all areas, such as childcare or nursing, this means men are more likely to aspire not to be empathetic or nurturing as men unfortunately aren't represented in those fields.
Original post by Surnia
And that source says the 'new man' term wasn't defined so must have existed earlier. It's just someone coming up with a catchy soundbite for attention, because there were already men changing nappies and feeding their children. Being a decent human being never got dismissed and there are plenty of role models for men.

Don't understand where all this garbage is coming from...

It started, I believe, as a way to show men that to be ‘a man’ didn’t have to mean being unempathetic or not nurturing, as the new man was both these things.

Although, being a decent human being never got dismissed, if you were a man who was a decent human being by being compassionate and nurturing you were seen as incredibly weird. The new man was the counter argument to that, and the first time that men were shown in the media as having an important role in childcare and being compassionate. Even today decent men who want to go into childcare or are compassionate are called “gay” or “perverse”. The new man was about taking down those stereotypes saying that men actually can do those things
Reply 25
Original post by Joleee
do i think all men need to take responsibility and stop acting like victims? if that's the question then yes i do. my dad, for example who is my hero, would be extremely embarrassed by 99% of comments in TSR debate section blaming everyone especially feminism and trans dudes oppressing them :hugs:

I agree. Sorry for any confusion.
The Rock is the most common role model with the young lads I know. Because it’s about drive, it’s about power 😎

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending