The Student Room Group

Moral Question

Do you think it's right to steal someone's money and give it to a charity or to people who really need it?
In my opinion , I don't think this is an authentic way of doing good to people ..in movies and folk tales I think it might seem great but in my personal opinion I think its not right and its better to do good with your own money than do the charity while someone had already done something bad by stealing .
Depends how the person originally obtained the money. If the person was a crook and the money was originally stolen then "Robin Hood"ism is probably justified.
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
Depends how the person originally obtained the money. If the person was a crook and the money was originally stolen then "Robin Hood"ism is probably justified.

I guess returning the money to the original owner isn't an option?
Let’s give money away to BHF so that they can employ some more admins!
depends whose money it is tbh. stealing 20$ from a homeless man for the WWF is wrong, but if a million goes missing from one of Bill Gates' bank accounts for 100 people's gofundme's i don't think i'd mind
Reply 6
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
Do you think it's right to steal someone's money and give it to a charity or to people who really need it?

I assume you mean taxation a la Robert Nozick?

I am not sure I'm 100% sure on my own thoughts, but I would tilt towards a moral deficit inherent in the foundations of taxation system of the state.
Funny enough I was on a Thomas Sowell quotes site earlier and he'd written this on excessive taxation......

“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”
Original post by caravaggio2
Funny enough I was on a Thomas Sowell quotes site earlier and he'd written this on excessive taxation......

“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

PRSOM.
No.
If that's black money then yes...
Original post by JDINCINERATOR

No.
Original post by caravaggio2

Oh yes. He's full of pithy aphorisms. Frederic Bastiat is another human repository of gems:

"The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else."
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending