The Student Room Group

Opinion on Prince Charles

All jokes aside, the Queen's probably gonna die in the next 5 years. Which means Charles will be King.

What do you guys think about him?

Personally, I think he's a pretty great guy, he's very experienced having waited to be King for over 70 years, and is actually pretty funny (see BBC Weather) and a good figurehead. I know he's had a lot of controversy and his popularity fell after the Diana scandal, but I think the country has moved on from that, and are ready to accept Charles and Camilla as the new heads of the institution.
Reply 1
I think he's out of touch with the real world and is rather spoilt. I do feel sorry for him though as he's spent all his life as an heir in waiting. I'd prefer the crown to pass directly to Prince William. I'm afraid I couldn't accept Camilla as Queen either.
Reply 2
He's very involved with climate issues and takes an interest in the UK's ethnic and cultural diversity. Anything but out of touch if you ask me. I think it's very unlikely the crown will pass to William as he's still relatively young and focused on bringing up his own family; being King would be too much responsibility at this stage. Although William will no doubt make an excellent King one day.
What's your issue with Camilla though? I get that she's not popular, but she's done her job excellently ever since she became Duchess of Cornwall.
Reply 3
personally, i’m not very “up to date” or interested in the royal family lol…wouldn’t really bother me who’s King or Queen unless they were a real *******.
Reply 4
Couldn't give a shiny one, to be honest
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
He's very involved with climate issues and takes an interest in the UK's ethnic and cultural diversity. Anything but out of touch if you ask me. I think it's very unlikely the crown will pass to William as he's still relatively young and focused on bringing up his own family; being King would be too much responsibility at this stage. Although William will no doubt make an excellent King one day.
What's your issue with Camilla though? I get that she's not popular, but she's done her job excellently ever since she became Duchess of Cornwall.

Camilla has done her job well, but I can't get past the fact she had an affair with a married man and was partly responsible for the breakdown of Charles and Diana's marriage.
I dislike the guy and I agree with Debs25, he does seem out of touch, and just gives be bad vibes overall.
Personally i think after the queen the monarchy should just be dissolved
I'm indifferent to the whole royal family
Reply 8
Original post by Debs25
Camilla has done her job well, but I can't get past the fact she had an affair with a married man and was partly responsible for the breakdown of Charles and Diana's marriage.

Fair enough, but I mean I don't think that was entirely her (or Charles's) fault. Charles was forced to marry Diana as she was seen as suitable, although he was in love with Camilla from the very start. I'm happy the marriage broke down: finally Charles could be free to be with who he loved and Diana would be free from her unhappy marriage. Of course that never happened given the tragedy that took place after.
Reply 9
I dislike the guy and I agree with Debs25, he does seem out of touch, and just gives be bad vibes overall.
Personally i think after the queen the monarchy should just be dissolved

Why do you think the monarchy should be dissolved? Although it's still often debated, stats always show that the Royals contribute far far more than they cost us. Also, I think it's great that we can all have a national figurehead and source of national pride we can all unite under. Boris Johnson's popularity rating is around 20%, the Queen's is around 90%. We're all divided by politics, so we can't we have one apolitical figurehead who we can all celebrate? Plus the monarchy is such a huge part of British history and culture.
But anyway I respect your opinion.
Why do you think the monarchy should be dissolved? Although it's still often debated, stats always show that the Royals contribute far far more than they cost us. Also, I think it's great that we can all have a national figurehead and source of national pride we can all unite under. Boris Johnson's popularity rating is around 20%, the Queen's is around 90%. We're all divided by politics, so we can't we have one apolitical figurehead who we can all celebrate? Plus the monarchy is such a huge part of British history and culture.
But anyway I respect your opinion.

I agree with the figure head and cultural part of your argument and that's also the main reason they probably won't be gone anytime soon.

However, they do cost more than they make. Disregarding COVID tourism is their main money earner. So like France and Russia if we do remove the monarchy tourism will still be good because most people come for the royal architecture and history, which the presence of the royal family doesn't depend on. Moreover, the figures being used by articles for the wealth of the family often include the price of all the royal estates which i believe is unfair and a statistical bias because they were built with taxpayer money and most of the people who live there aren't even royal, and their occupancy stops tours or using the estates as museums.

I also believe Charles isn't really an apolitical figure, whilst he doesn't explicitly state his politics we can use clues from his past behaviour, recent news and context to give us a rough guess where he lies.

nonetheless, my opinion won't change things, we brits hate change but i do hope he proves me wrong and is the person this country needs especially after the past few year we've had and probably going to have considering our current government :biggrin:
He's alright. I think the country might prefer to have William & Kate heading the royal family rather than Charles & Camilla but it's not like we have any choice
At this stage either of the above options would be better than the Queen, she's past it and ought to be allowed to gracefully step down
Reply 13
A perfectly pleasant fellow but not a good king. He doesnt have the bearing, gravitas or personality required. Not to mention he's an activist (both figuratively and literally) something that is not welcome from a monarch in this day and age. He is veryu different from his mother, Her Majesty.
I mean, he wouldnt be a 'bad' king, per-se, but he would be far more divicive. I doubt it helps that he would still forever be in HM's shadow, the Queen whose reign the vast majority of the population have known nothing but.

... then again, i doubt he'd last especially long either way given his own advanced age and HRH the Duke is very popular so it would be interesting to see if the graph on popularity takes a steep dip before rising again on his own passing.

Given the Queens current course though we should have her around for the next millennia or so :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending