The Student Room Group

Do you think retail workers should be allowed to shout back at customers?

I know it is our job to serve them but sometimes they can get beyond unreasonable particularly older people. I personally feel if they're being excessively unreasonable especially when it is something we have no control over.
Original post by TomConnell03
I know it is our job to serve them but sometimes they can get beyond unreasonable particularly older people. I personally feel if they're being excessively unreasonable especially when it is something we have no control over.

Yes & No with this one

If it's within reason on shouting back at customers then ok but otherwise it's no as we are there to serve them and remember the customers are always right regardless of what we think.

If we where revoked by the customers into retirrating back which some will do then unfortunately I wouldn't hold back with giving them as good back and yes it worth getting pulled up by the manager I supposed.

If I can shout at my department staff members to get there work done then surely I can be allowed to do the same to the customers but you'll know yourself we ain't allowed to do this.
If it's your business sure

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lllUSIUJE4M

If not, then up to the employer.
No.

Raised volume is subjective, and I'd be generally more concerned with insults/threats/swearing... but people shouldn't be 'allowed' to freak out at work. It has to be on a case by case basic imo.

Like at my job if I shout at a customer my boss will take my side by default, as he knows I'm a decent level headed polite guy, So it must have been an immediate issue of health & safety or extreme provocation, but he's never going to sit me down and say it's allowed to shout at customers.
Reply 4
lols no :nah: sorry, not good for business to ever shout at a customer and if i were your boss i would have no problem disciplining you. don't get me wrong, i feel your pain. try getting berated by a customer cuz you forgot to put a mayo packet in their takeaway bag, or working for a flippin charity offering absolutely free advice and getting yelled at over the phone cuz the person had to wait on hold. if you're really taking a verbal licken tho you don't yell back; rather get your boss involved.

btw i moved your thread to the relevant forum :h:
Why do you ever need to shout back at a customer? Normally a deadpan "have a nice day" and your best grin is all you need.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending