The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

People are so nasty to each other online but why do you think this is?

Not on here, it seems nice here. I mean other ones. Why do you think this is? Why are there so many trolls online and bitter negative people?

I suffer anxiety so I knew that forums wouldn't be for me. I promised myself even if I read I would never join a forum, then my boyfriend told me he looks at the student room out of curiosity and after thinking of some questions to ask here I am haha
It's not just on forums though, if you look at daily mail articles if there's a female celeb on there there are always a handful who can't resist saying nasty things about her. It sickens me. The world is a really horrible place, so I always think online should be a escape from that. But it's not. It's actually just as bad. I've read about people telling each other to kill themselves and cyberbullying is rife on forums. Wtf is wrong with people?!

I never bother with social media, it doesn't interest me at all. But I look at forums out of total curiosity, and I think the worst I have seen is the digital spy one. There's no way someone like me would fit on there. It doesn't matter where you look on that forum, it's just full of nasty, sarcastic, negative, bitter people who clearly have no life. I heard the soap forum is absolutely toxic, and after looking at it (i used to like corrie and eastenders) I totally agree, I've noticed the regulars on there (I can tell who they are cos their names pop up on practically every thread) seem to have a clique, and anyone who isn't in the clique seem to be singled out, bullied, ignored, and generally treated like ****. It's horrible to read! I dread to think how bad members must feel about it. I once heard about someone getting taunted by a clique member, they told them to "keep insulting me, it's water off a duck's back" that sounds like a sociopath, like wtf?

Seems like on digital spy the regulars think they own the place, and there is like a pack mentality where anyone who dares disagree gets jumped on and a grudge held against the outsider. also I saw someone call out the bullying on there, and rather than the moderation stepping in to sort that out, the thread got deleted by the clique not liking what was being said. but reviews say the moderation is really bad. Why would a forum like that stay active when it basically allows and enables bullies?
I can never tell online if people who say the things they say are keyboard warriors (hiding behind a screen gives them power to say what they want without consequences but wouldn't say boo to a goose irl) or they are hated in the real world so bring their poison to online so that they feel like they have a place to spout their bile at someone

Then there's reddit. Reddit can be really dark, it's scary

I would never pretend to be someone I'm not online, I'd just be myself. Why would anyone want to be nasty to a total stranger (or anyone really) I don't get it at all. You have no idea who you're talking to online. Don't they realise the things they say could push someone to a breakdown or they could be the reason for even worse? Do they even care? What do you think?
I think the simple answers are anonymity and lack of accountability

People will generally be much nicer to each other on social media platforms like Facebook, where you're probably using your real name and photo, and anyone you're talking to probably knows someone in common with you. If you're too rude to people on there, you always run the risk of people you know in real life or possibly even future employers seeing it and thinking badly of you.

Whereas on other platforms (e.g. forums which are not very actively moderated), where you're using an online alias which you can change very easily and nobody can find out who you are IRL, people have a lot more freedom to say whatever they want without caring about what is socially acceptable, and in some cases without even caring what is legal.

As for why they would even want to be mean to someone else in the first place - well I suppose it's probably a combination of many things. That could include testing out a new found freedom of the usual social restraints we apply to ourselves, an ego boost gained from putting other people down, a feeling of power gained from knowing that you're able to get on someone else's nerves, and simply having nothing better to do in life.
Well gurlywurly, having read some of your posts on DS, all I can say is pot, kettle, black.You can be extremely unpleasant yourself. Your posts are all about yourself, and so long as FMs go along with you you're fine, but as soon as someone posts something you don't like, you throw your toys out of the pram and the thread usually ends up with you calling for it to be closed.Yet you wonder why posters are 'unpleasant'! They are simply giving a different viewpoint, which is not what you are looking for.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
ananomity gives people an impressive feeling of invulnerability.. despite the fact half the time theyd t chinned for saying such things in real life. On the other hand, the fact people can only speak their mind on some topics online because the opprobrium theyd get in public is a sad state of affairs. To clarify i dont mean someone talking about their hatred of race X but on so many social topics where if you deviate from the given line then god help you. Ms Rowling is a nice case example of this albeit she stands by her convictions, not many people have her courage... or can afford it.
Because the internet gives people who are unhappy with their own lives a platform to be whoever they want and tear down people who are better or more successful than them. I see this playing out all the time online. It’s very easy for weak people to gang up and try and tear celebrities etc down, it’s a lot harder to be positive and try to inspire people and build them up.

Sad but true.

Latest

Trending

Trending