The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are people only revising what's in the advanced info?
that's what I've been doing but are there any chances they might include longer questions which aren't on there?
Original post by lemono666
that's what I've been doing but are there any chances they might include longer questions which aren't on there?

I’ve had revised pretty much everything in Theme 1&3 but with special focus on the advanced info as they’re definitely on. I mean the whole subject is quite synoptic so I think you could answer the questions only with the advanced info knowledge but anything extra would just be extra marking points or add to the depth of knowledge.
Hi,
In a 15 marker eval can look like this as its 6 marks so e.g
"However, this assumes that as output increases LRAC decreases (economies of scale), however this may not be the case as diseconomies of scale could instead take place. This could be due to coordination issues, which arise as a result of the firm expanding output across borders and across language barriers thus LRAC is unlikely to decrease over time in this case. This is particularly present in shipping firms such as EVERGREEN where they span operations across many language barriers, making communication and coordinating very hard"

Always try and counter the point u made in ur paragraph a way of finding counters is considering- Short/long run economies/diseconomies of scale, whether the models assumptions are realistic, or whether consumers are acting rationally (behavioural economics)

Original post by t.hafsa
I am going to combust at this point I've barely started revision and don't know what to do and I just don't get micro, only took eco in a levels not in o levels so I'm like lost and even with the advance info I don't know what to do😥Plz help at this point any advice on how to cram atleast the topics in advance info will do
Also not doing very well with eval can someone tell me what exactly would count as eval or give like a solid sample answer so I get how to structure it well - for longer questions like 10, 12, 15 and 25mks. Does it have to be an it depends on point or even a however point will do because I've also been told however points are just part of analysis.
Reply 23
do you guys think they will ask us things not on the advanced info in the long answer questions e.g. monopsony, because when I read the guidance to the advanced info they word it in a way that they kind of say everything on the list is what is being tested and that u can include things not on the list but its not necessary
Original post by ernstc03665
I think it might be tutor2u that has a bunch of new practice questions based on the advanced notice, my school bought them for us, I think they like £30 for the macro and £30 for micro, hopefully that helps for anyone looking for some practice q's

Yeah they are quite good... a friend of mine gave them to me.
Theres some resources on this website aswell tfurber.com
Original post by lemono666

I think more or less the advance specification is enough. They won’t directly ask u on the stuff not highlighted but they can definitely be used for evaluation points. The advanced spec in itself is quite vague - subsides for example is not highlighted but it is mentioned in forms of government intervention so yeh more or less focus on advanced info and points given. how is everyone else revising? any suggestions of practice questions to plan out?
Original post by studentLuna
I can’t really guess the 25 markers but yes you need to go into the most depth for the 25 markers as there’s a total of 16 marks for KAA (level based marking) much higher than the second high mark question (15 marks with 9 available for KAA) - so yes

How many full KAA and EV should we do for the 25? I have seen some ppl saying 2 KAA and others saying 3 points, my teacher told me to do 2 but a friend at another school says 3 can be better.
Reply 27
Original post by Adi-mehrotra
How many full KAA and EV should we do for the 25? I have seen some ppl saying 2 KAA and others saying 3 points, my teacher told me to do 2 but a friend at another school says 3 can be better.

2 should be okay if they are in-depth with diagrams maybe, you can do 3 but it just depends on how much time you will have in the exam, its better to have 2 developed points than 3 more broader points.
Original post by Adi-mehrotra

I agree with @nessy7. I usually do two developed points, then conclude and if I have time add another point by putting an asterisk before the conclusion.
how strict are the mark schemes in economics?

almost every time i do an essay, i am fairly confident the content and reasoning is correct, but the mark scheme often has different or weaker or vaguer points.

if i dont mention stuff on the mark scheme, does that mean i wont get marks? or is just general quality of writing more important?
The mark schemes r more like guidelines for potential answers so it doesn't matter if the points u write match with the mark scheme as long as u write ur own points well and justify 'em.

Original post by jxn2234
how strict are the mark schemes in economics?

almost every time i do an essay, i am fairly confident the content and reasoning is correct, but the mark scheme often has different or weaker or vaguer points.

if i dont mention stuff on the mark scheme, does that mean i wont get marks? or is just general quality of writing more important?
for 15 marker, would you recommend 2 or 3 points? Sometimes I just couldn't do 3 points! TIA
Seneca has great stuff for economics, tutor 2 u has also been doing some great videos on markets and also econplusdal
what do u think could come up for labour since theyve specifically only included supply in this paper? im thinking maybe a 10 marker on factors influecing supply or the elasticity of supply but im wondering how theyd do this without including demand or wage determination
Original post by windsuo
Yeah they are quite good... a friend of mine gave them to me.
Theres some resources on this website aswell tfurber.com

Hi, I saw your pm but as my account is new I can't reply yet, I think tomorrow is the earliest I can reply, so sorry about that :frown:
‘Evaluate the view that the planned future ban on petrol and diesel cars will lead to gov failure’- 25mks

Anyone know 2 solid points u cud make for this essay
point 1: ban on petrol may encourage hidden sale of petrol which won't have it's intended consquesence of a greener economy(I'm not sure if this is actually something which is feasible though)
eval- depends on the extent to which diesel car firms will prepare for this switch which there is incentive to do, as consumers are becoming more aware of electric alternatives etc

point 2: ban on petrol may have a more regressive impact and exacerbate inequality as poor people less likely to afford expensive substitutes
eval- depends on how the electric car industry develops over the next few years, with the help of gov subsidies it could become cheaper and more accessible
Original post by geniusar
‘Evaluate the view that the planned future ban on petrol and diesel cars will lead to gov failure’- 25mks

Anyone know 2 solid points u cud make for this essay

Just some ideas:
- short term gov failure as currently hybrid and electric cars have a greater price then used/new petrol/diesel cars, will lead to those on lower incomes not being able to afford electrical/alternative cars after ban. Unintended consequences: Lowers consumer surplus, greater inequality.
- Demand would rise for electric/hybrid cars assuming they are the only available product in the cars industries, (diagram), raise price, decrease consumer surplus. (Link to first point). However, in the real world demand may not rise due to the availability of older cars still/ low purchasing power of consumers thus government may have to subsidise cost of electric/hybrid cars to reach initial goal. Opportunity cost and regulatory capture may arise.
- current and second hand cars will still be available, so you can evaluate the magnitude of change the policy will bring (short term - quite low as number of ‘older cars’ will still be more then ‘newer’ cars. Long term - assuming older cars decreasing bigger effect and achieve goal to decrease petrol/diesel use.
- decreases long term negative externalities due to pollution caused by petrol/diesel cars decreasing, short term causes more negative externalities in the production of electric car batteries, plants, charging stations.

//kinda realised that I didn’t fully answer the question
KAA1: It wont lead to gov failure
K: define what is gov failure : if when gov intervention leads to a missalocation of resouces creating more ineffeciency within a market
App: the gov has annouced a ban on petrol cars by 2030 as in Autum of 2019 27% of uk total emison was from tranport 91% of this is road vechilesThe ban on petrol cars is hoped to reduce the high co2 emmisons ....this is to reduce the negative production and consumption of cars.The ban could be done through negative reinforcments of taxes or fines whoch shifts mpc backDraw a negative negative externality diagram and talk about the deadwight loss , how its allocatively ineffeicnt , by placing a bad we will come back to social opitum and this is better for the enviroment.
EVAL1: Leads to gov failure
As you cant account for a negative externality and therefore placing a tax whoch end up being regressive and create income inequality . Also a ban through taxes leads to prices of petrol rising for consumers and this seeps into other products ... leads to a cost of living crisis. Which is a gov failure as a result of them intevening its more harmful for consumer as the cons surplus falls
KAA2: it wouldn't lead to gov failure
defintion of a regualtion (which is what the petrol ban essecially is)
App: 1950's Clean Air act was effecive in reducing smog is cities like London by stopping coal being burnt. Regualtion is easy to implement and throughfical measure can create large incentives for firms to switch to alternative sources (ie solar) and if they kept selling petrol they would not be getting the profits they would compared to if they switcjed to hybrid or electic and it creates competeion to be the first to xswtich to try to gain dominate market share.Therefore in the LR putting an end to petrol and dissel and this means that throuhg ogv intenrion its better
EVAL:regaultion bad and leads to gov failure due to
Admidersation costs increase usage of balck market takes time for consumers to swtich over (time lag)i did this super quickly hope thsi helps !!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, I am answering a question regarding regulation of big tech firms. I was wondering what the benefits of tax on firms as Facebook etc are. Would it improve consumer welfare? If so, how?

Latest

Trending

Trending