The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Official Staffordshire University 2023 Applicant Thread

Hello!
Post any questions here about your application, share any thoughts, news or just say Hi!
We can't wait to hear from you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

hi!

i’m planning to apply for photography and was wondering about unconditional offers! i’ve heard people have received unconditional for essay-based subjects which don’t require portfolios, and i’m just wondering how these offers work with portfolios!

do admissions officers need to see a portfolio before giving out unconditional for these types of courses, or do they base it off of the grades and personal statement like non-portfolio subjects? are they based on interviews?

any information on this would be greatly appreciated!
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
hi!

i’m planning to apply for photography and was wondering about unconditional offers! i’ve heard people have received unconditional for essay-based subjects which don’t require portfolios, and i’m just wondering how these offers work with portfolios!

do admissions officers need to see a portfolio before giving out unconditional for these types of courses, or do they base it off of the grades and personal statement like non-portfolio subjects? are they based on interviews?

any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I contacted the Photography Course Leader for some more information on this. He says:

"We generally only give unconditional offers to mature students or applicants that have already gained the requisite UCAS points. The admissions team would provide a conditional offer to applicants who meet the criteria prior to the Portfolio Review (Predicted grades and relevant experience/course). The Portfolio Review gives the academic member of staff an opportunity to meet the applicant and review their work."

If you need any more information, feel free to contact [email protected]

Best wishes, Shaun
Reply 3
Hi! Anyone applied for Paramedic Science? I've got an interview soon so would be cool to see if anyone else here does too :biggrin:
Hi,

I got a Conditional Offer for Photography, but also was sent an interview/review email “as part of the selection process”.

I was just wondering if this review/interview is necessary, as i was “already selected” for a Conditional Offer.
Hi,

I got a Conditional Offer for Photography, but also was sent an interview/review email “as part of the selection process”.

I was just wondering if this review/interview is necessary, as i was “already selected” for a Conditional Offer.

Hi @anonymous #1,

I spoke to the Photography team about this and they said -
'The admissions team would provide a conditional offer to applicants who meet the criteria prior to the Portfolio Review (Predicted grades and relevant experience/course).
The Portfolio Review gives the academic member of staff an opportunity to meet the applicant and review their work. This is part of the admissions process. We're happy to provide the review online if it helps the applicant.'

It's also a great chance to get to meet the staff who will be teaching you, but if you do have any more questions or concerns let us know or we can put you in touch with the photography team directly :smile:

Thank you
HB
Hello! I applied mid-December for a game design course and haven't heard back. The slow response time in comparison to other applicants has made me a little nervous - do you release responses in batches or as applications are individually processed? Do you have more games applicants than some other subjects?

On an unrelated note, I would be an international student. What are the actual academic requirements for the SMART scholarship, or is it a case-to-case basis? The website does not make this clear.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi @KingPiEta,

I've spoken to the International Admissions team this morning and they have said they will check on your application, could you please DM us with your name, date of birth and email address and I will pass this information on to them :smile:

Thank you
HB
Hi :smile:
I'm waiting a response to my interview for midwifery. Do you know how long it takes to hear back?

Any information would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by emma.evans83
Hi :smile:
I'm waiting a response to my interview for midwifery. Do you know how long it takes to hear back?

Any information would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I got a reply around 1 week after doing an interview for Paramedic Science. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by TMedi
I got a reply around 1 week after doing an interview for Paramedic Science. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Hello everyone my name is Jodie, a first year student at Staffordshire University and I'm here to share some guidance and useful information about your next steps since getting your offer to come here!

Staffordshire university offers many services to help you feel prepared and ready to come and study with them. I joined the uni last year so have great experience with these!

One of the services the uni provides is an app called Staffs Campus Connect. This is an app that is only for people joining this academic year and helps you to discover people that are on your course or even other courses! There are group chats too for what accommodation you may be moving in to, general interests and course specific group chats. I used this app a lot before my move into uni and managed to meet some great people on there! You should receive an email from the uni with login information for this app very soon.

Another service is Offer Holder days. These are special days that uni hosts that allow you to come and spend the day on campus and get a feel for what it's like! I personally didn't attend one of these as I lived too far away. These are invite only events but make sure to keep an eye on your emails as that's where the uni will update you about these days!

And finally, our university is BIG on social media. I, along with a team of other students, help make content on all platforms of social media to share some guidance about general uni life, places around campus and the city to visit and coverage of events that we host at uni! I found the social media pages a great way to get a glimpse of what uni was like as a lot of content is student lead.

I hope this post was helpful! If you have any questions feel free to reply and I will get back and answer as soon as possible - Hope to see you in September!

- Jodie :smile:
Hi! Does anybody have a concept of how long to hear any response from Staffordshire after submitting a postgraduate application? I submitted mine late March (I know it's not so long ago), my referrer submitted the reference, and I'm wondering when will I be asked to submit a portfolio? As this was not requested in the application portal.

Thanks!
Original post by _wanderer_
Hi! Does anybody have a concept of how long to hear any response from Staffordshire after submitting a postgraduate application? I submitted mine late March (I know it's not so long ago), my referrer submitted the reference, and I'm wondering when will I be asked to submit a portfolio? As this was not requested in the application portal.

Thanks!

Hi @_wanderer_
I hope you get some useful feedback here from applicants or students.
You can also contact our Enquiries Team, who will be able to help - https://www.staffs.ac.uk/contact
Best wishes,
Shaun
Reply 14
Hi! In the case I chose another uni as firm and staffs as insurance is there any way to switch them or choose staffs?
Original post by stephraq
Hi! In the case I chose another uni as firm and staffs as insurance is there any way to switch them or choose staffs?

Hi @stephraq
That sounds like one for UCAS.
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/making-changes-your-ucas-undergraduate-application
Best of luck with your application.
Best wishes, Shaun
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hello!
Post any questions here about your application, share any thoughts, news or just say Hi!
We can't wait to hear from you :smile:

Hello!

I applied for Computer Games Design and Programming in November, but a few weeks ago I noticed that the content of the course had changed since I applied, with new 20-credit modules instead of 30-credit ones. I also saw that this changed had been applied not only to other Games courses, but also other courses in general. Will this change be applied in September?
Hello!

I applied for Computer Games Design and Programming in November, but a few weeks ago I noticed that the content of the course had changed since I applied, with new 20-credit modules instead of 30-credit ones. I also saw that this changed had been applied not only to other Games courses, but also other courses in general. Will this change be applied in September?

Hi, Here is some information from Chris Headleand who is the Head of Games:

Hi, Yes, these changes are due to be deployed in September. We periodically refresh our degrees to ensure they are cutting edge, and meet the needs of the ever evolving games industry. We recently went through a revalidation exercise to do this refresh, and have made a number of exciting changes. Many of these have already been announced at the recent open days. The core learning and ethos of each degree stays the same, but we have updated the structures and materials to ensure everyone gets the best from the degree. All applicants will soon receive an email about the changes, if you have any questions after you receive the email you can reach out to the department for more information

Hope this helps,
Shaun
Reply 18
Does anyone know if the software the university uses is compatible with mac ios?
Original post by TMedi
Does anyone know if the software the university uses is compatible with mac ios?

Hi @TMedi

Our Digital Services team will be able to give you all the information you need on that. I know that Adobe Creative Cloud definitely works with Mac and PC, but they can advise on specific software.

Contact them here: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/students/digital-services/contact

Kind regards, Shaun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending