The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Official University of Brighton 2023 Applicant Thread

Scroll to see replies

(Original post by University of Brighton Enquiries)Hi Everyone :biggrin:

This thread is for people who are thinking of applying to University of Brighton for 2023!

You can meet and chat to other people applying here.

Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
Why are you interested in the University of Brighton?

Hi!

I've been accepted onto the Illustration course, but I can't find many people talking about it!
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
I’m also going to do accounting but I haven’t heard back since November. Is in-person work experience also required?

I don't really think so. Have you perhaps done any work like part time?
Reply 22
Original post by University of Brighton Enquiries
Hi Everyone :biggrin:

This thread is for people who are thinking of applying to University of Brighton for 2023!

Ice breaker questions:

Hi, may I know how long the Accountinng and Finance course is? I am exploring accommodation.
Original post by EstL
Hi, may I know how long the Accountinng and Finance course is? I am exploring accommodation.

Hi @EstL

Our standard course term dates are 30 weeks and 1 day a year. The Accounting and Finance course is three years in total - four years with a placement year.

Please also feel free to contact our accommodation team directly who can help you find accommodation in Brighton and give you personalised advice on: [email protected] / 01273 644100

I hope this is helpful.

Danielle - Brighton Uni Rep :nyan:
What would be the best accommodation for a student in Moulsecoomb? I was hoping for ensuite and a decent price.
What would be the best accommodation for a student in Moulsecoomb? I was hoping for ensuite and a decent price.

Hello,

For students studying on the Moulsecoomb campus, you may be interested in the Mithras option, which is our newest build and all bedrooms include an ensuite. You may also be interested in the Varley Park accommodation, of which some bedrooms have an ensuit.

You can view a full list of our accommodation options here. You can filter through the different options to see what accommodation you might be most interested in. All of the different prices are listed.

I hope this is helpful :smile:

Danielle - Brighton Uni Rep :nyan:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, I have list of questions I hope you do not mind.

1• When are the holidays and the duration? Is it the same for each progressive year(1-3)?
2• Are you able to stay in the same accommodation after Year 1 as long as you are an undergraduate student?
3• Is there a "reading week" or a "reading day" perhaps? Is it just for first year?
4• What is the limit to taking days off?
5• What is the cost of living here like?
6• What sports and societies are there? What opportunities are there for me away from my studies?(Moulsecoomb campus)
7• How easy is it to find part time work?

8• How do you apply for Student finance?
9• What are the next steps after accepting your offer if you are not going to travel to and from home?
10• If you miss the grades required for your offer slightly,will you still get the offer if it's firm?

Again I am very sorry for the long message!
Thank you!
Hi I just received an offer for physiotherapy, where can I apply for accommodations?
Original post by Tsz_n1ng
Hi I just received an offer for physiotherapy, where can I apply for accommodations?

Hi @Tsz_n1ng

Accommodation applications haven't opened just yet, you will be emailed once applications are open :h:.

Bex- Brighton Uni rep. :nyan:
Hi, I have list of questions I hope you do not mind.

1• When are the holidays and the duration? Is it the same for each progressive year(1-3)?
2• Are you able to stay in the same accommodation after Year 1 as long as you are an undergraduate student?
3• Is there a "reading week" or a "reading day" perhaps? Is it just for first year?
6• What sports and societies are there? What opportunities are there for me away from my studies?(Moulsecoomb campus)

9• What are the next steps after accepting your offer if you are not going to travel to and from home?
10• If you miss the grades required for your offer slightly,will you still get the offer if it's firm?

Again I am very sorry for the long message!
Thank you!

Hi :biggrin:

Thanks for your questions! Please find all the answers below :smile:

The term dates for 2023 are:

Autumn term
25 September - 15 December 2023

Spring term
8 January - 22 March 2024

Summer term
15 April - 7 June 2024

The term dates differ each year. Please see here for full details on term and teaching dates for the next 3 years.

Accommodation in halls of residence is for students who will be starting their first year of full-time study. After the first year of study you must then find private accommodation. Student usually arrange this with other students and friends they have met through their first year of study. Our accommodation team are more than happy to help you with finding private accommodation at this stage. If you have any questions you are welcome to contact the team on: [email protected]

The full accommodation allocation policy details can be found here.

Some courses, such as our Humanities related courses e.g. creative writing etc do have a reading week. However, most other courses do not. Once you have enrolled and gained access to your timetable you will get information on if your course has a reading week and when this will be.

We encourage you to attend all lectures. However, if you are unwell you can contact your course leader or school office who can log your sickness in your attendance record. There will be a cut off for low attendance, which you will find in your Student Contract when you enrol.

We have a very helpful webpage with all information regarding budgeting for student life in Brighton. Please feel free to look through this here.

You are also welcome to contact our current students here to ask them about student life in Brighton and helpful budgeting tips.

Brighton Student Union have a wide range of societies including many sports opportunities. You can also start your own society if there is a particular sport or area of interest you have which is not already covered. You can view the full list of societies here.

We also have Sport Brighton which is is the collaboration of sport and recreation services at the University of Brighton. This includes the use of the sport & fitness facilities across all campus sites for students and staff of the University or community clubs, organisations and gym members. You can view full details and the facilities on offer here.

There are lots of opportunities for students to find work at the University.

If you choose to apply to become a student ambassador you will get the opportunity to work in many different events throughout the University, such as on open days and with our outreach team visiting schools and delivering talks.

We also have a careers team who can help you find part-time work while you study, as well as many job opportunities in Brighton City for part-time student work.

Please see the student career page for more information.

Full-time undergraduate 2023 to 2024 applications for Student Finance England are expected to open from March 2023. You can register on the Student Finance Government website for updates and to find helpful information in the meantime here.

Once you accept your offer, if you are not applying for accommodation, then then the next steps will be to apply for Student Finance England in March. You will then be invited to enrol onto your course in August. You are also welcome to join any online events in the meantime, so you can ask any questions and speak to students and staff at the University.

10• If you miss the grades required for your offer slightly, will you still get the offer if it's firm?

We run a flexible admissions policy and will still consider offering places even if you have not met the grade requirements in your conditional offer. The admissions team will take into consideration your full application before making a final decision.

I hope this is all helpful! 😊

If you have any other questions just let us know!

Danielle Brighton Uni Rep :nyan:
Reply 30
hi! my name is isa, i'm an international student from the usa, and i applied to brighton for film & screen studies!! has anyone else applied for the same course/received an offer?
Yooooo, can anyone give me an opinion on this?

I've received an offer from Brighton to study Adult Nursing, and I'd accepted it as my firm choice a coupla weeks back.
I just wanted to know what the process of actually applying for accommodation is like once you've accepted a conditional offer - how long should I wait to be able to apply for accomodation?

I can't find much anywhere actually documenting what it's like and how exactly you do it lol, and I'm getting a liiiiittle bit antsy - I may or may not have my eye on a premium room at The Hub :wink:

Help a brother out? :biggrin:
Original post by DKDonovan

I've received an offer from Brighton to study Adult Nursing, and I'd accepted it as my firm choice a coupla weeks back.
I just wanted to know what the process of actually applying for accommodation is like once you've accepted a conditional offer - how long should I wait to be able to apply for accomodation?

I can't find much anywhere actually documenting what it's like and how exactly you do it lol, and I'm getting a liiiiittle bit antsy - I may or may not have my eye on a premium room at The Hub :wink:

Hi @DKDonovan :h:

Applications for accommodation don't usually open until end of March/ beginning of April time and usually close around June, these are not given on first come first serve basis so please do not panic. You will receive an email to apply once applications open. Huge congratulations on your place and we look forward to you joining us in September! :yeah:

Bex - Brighton Uni rep :nyan:
Original post by DKDonovan

Hey, I'm doing adult nursing in September toooo :smile: Accom wise you will be notified by the uni when you can apply. All i know is that you are guaranteed an accommodation offer but no guarantees on that offer being the one you want!
Reply 34
Original post by Tsz_n1ng

Hi. Same here. Nice to meet you.

Ice breaker questions:

I made an application on the 16th of January, for September 2023 intake (BSc). How long before I get an update or response?

Ice breaker questions:

I applied for biomedical science with foundation year, September 2023 intake
Original post by Chi mona
I made an application on the 16th of January, for September 2023 intake (BSc). How long before I get an update or response?

Hi @Chi mona :h:

Please can you send us your student number or UCAS personal ID via private message and we can take a look at

this for you.

Reply 38

Ice breaker questions:

Hi, I applied for Film & Screen Studies on the 19th of January and sent in my supporting documents on the 28th. My test scores have been sent, but I have no way of tracking how long it takes for them to be sent. I've read that it can be anywhere from one week to a month. I sent a message through the applicant portal to let the admissions team know that my scores were on the way but never received any acknowledgement after that point.

I've seen a lot of other film applicants who applied in January receiving their offers in Facebook groups and am anxious. Could the wait be due to my being an international applicant? Or is there a specific hold-up? Any answers you have are appreciated!! :h:
Original post by isahko
Hi, I applied for Film & Screen Studies on the 19th of January and sent in my supporting documents on the 28th. My test scores have been sent, but I have no way of tracking how long it takes for them to be sent. I've read that it can be anywhere from one week to a month. I sent a message through the applicant portal to let the admissions team know that my scores were on the way but never received any acknowledgement after that point.

I've seen a lot of other film applicants who applied in January receiving their offers in Facebook groups and am anxious. Could the wait be due to my being an international applicant? Or is there a specific hold-up? Any answers you have are appreciated!! :h:

Hi @isahko :h:

First of all I would say please do not panic, it is very early on in the academic cycle and it's perfectly normal to have not heard back yet. Make sure you're keeping an eye on your Studentview portal as all updates will come through there. As soon as admissions have an update they will let you know. Very best of luck with your application and if you have any further concerns please feel free to drop us another message!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending