The Student Room Group

A-level Physics Study Group 2022-2023

Welcome to the A-level Physics Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:

Scroll to see replies

Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:

The Organic Chemistry Tutor
Science Shorts
PMT
Isaac Physics
Physics Online
Physics & Maths Tutor
Hi
I'm on edexcel, and so far electric fields Is really good for me
Related to that, Isaacs physics has been the number one thing that helped me get more confident in physics- the repetitive questions change it up a bit, so you're familiar with alot of question types without it being daunting. Also, they have video lessons for each part of the course (filmed back in covid) which are rly helpful- they cut put alot of the fluff found it textbooks, so aren't too long.
Still have to work on yr12 content tho, especially mechanics !
Original post by orange one
Hi
I'm on edexcel, and so far electric fields Is really good for me
Related to that, Isaacs physics has been the number one thing that helped me get more confident in physics- the repetitive questions change it up a bit, so you're familiar with alot of question types without it being daunting. Also, they have video lessons for each part of the course (filmed back in covid) which are rly helpful- they cut put alot of the fluff found it textbooks, so aren't too long.
Still have to work on yr12 content tho, especially mechanics !

Hey :wavey: welcome to our study group :biggrin:

Is Isaacs physics free for users? If so I will add it to the recommended resource list!
Original post by Evil Homer
Hey :wavey: welcome to our study group :biggrin:

Is Isaacs physics free for users? If so I will add it to the recommended resource list!

Thanks for the welcome:smile:
Yeah it's free for everyone. You can make an account for free to store your progress, or you can use it w/o an account.
And the qs give hints, and give you reasons as to why your answers were incorrect- v useful with nitpicky units questions in exams
Thanks for the welcome:smile:
Yeah it's free for everyone. You can make an account for free to store your progress, or you can use it w/o an account.
And the qs give hints, and give you reasons as to why your answers were incorrect- v useful with nitpicky units questions in exams

Sounds like the definition of helpful, it's going in!

How you feeling about your exams this year, are you planning on doing much studying/revision over December?
hi! i'm on aqa, best topics would have to be electricity and nuclear physics, worst is definitely thermodynamics. isaac physics, physics online videos and physics and maths tutor are my go-to !
Original post by imogenbella
hi! i'm on aqa, best topics would have to be electricity and nuclear physics, worst is definitely thermodynamics. isaac physics, physics online videos and physics and maths tutor are my go-to !

I will get those added to the recommended resource list. Welcome to the study group :smile:
Reply 8

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?(Original post by Evil Homer)Welcome to the A-level Physics Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!) AQA

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with? Thermodynamics, Particles, Capacitance and Quantum

> What areas are you struggling with a little? Electricity , Mechanics (wordy questions not the maths)

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare? I use save my exams to make notes sometimes along with PMT. Isaac physics has been really useful for revision recently too and I make flashcards on Anki
Reply 9
Word of advice - you will probably need to end up trying to tailor your answers to suit the mark scheme. Quite easy to write things that are correct but get you no marks.

What I used to do was, when marking my answers to the explain questions, I'd make a note of what parts of my answer contributed to getting marks, and what parts didn't. Do this enough and you train yourself to be more concise.

Specifications

hi im tia, and im on aqa
i took the 2022 exams and im retaking my physics a-level in summer, teaching myself at home. this group would be great as i don't have any support to check myself or anything haha. slightly worried about grade boundaries going back to 'pre-pandemic' levels
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by tia.mallinder
hi im tia,
i took the 2022 exams and im retaking my physics a-level in summer, teaching myself at home. this group would be great as i don't have any support to check myself or anything haha. slightly worried about grade boundaries going back to 'pre-pandemic' levels

This is exactly what this group is here to do :smile: We're lucky to have you with us Tia, welcome!
Original post by tia.mallinder
hi im tia, and im on aqa

Yay, another independent candidate!
Best of luck with physics exams this year, and after the drop last year, maybe they'll be a bit more lenient than they originally intended.
Yay, another independent candidate!
Best of luck with physics exams this year, and after the drop last year, maybe they'll be a bit more lenient than they originally intended.

hopefully you're right, thank you (:
hi, my name is Annie!
I am on AQA. The topics I feel most confident in is particles and quantum, thermal and circular motion.
I am most iffy with electricity, mechanics, and electric fields.

Mainly I use my textbook, as well as the CGP version and, of course, physics and maths tutor. I use their flashcards and questions religiously.

I feel super nervous for physics omg, especially paper three as we haven't done anything on it in class and my teachers are ALWAYS off sick, we don't get cover so just have to teach ourselves a bunch of content. Generally, I am just terrified because physics is so dependant on the paper. I could know absolutely every single bit of content, done as many past paper questions as humanly possible, and FEEL confident but the questions could just be completely different and I could get a poor grade. Its so hit or miss and I find that hard to deal with. Mocks in January! for me !
Yh 100%
Last year my classmates were getting a/b grades, but come exam day, they didn't get above a d!
Gorilla Physics talks about this- he says answering past papers isn't enough, you actually have to take a deeper interest in the subject and "become a physicist" to get the top grade.
Haven't tried his method yet, but I guess the top grade is a threshold to be passed- once you've done enough work you can unlock it.
Ngl tho, its difficult- keeping up with regular work alone takes up most of my time!

Specifications

im a private candidate giving my physics edexcel A2 exam in june 2023, and ive started studying myself, and finding it a bit hard. please post more resources specifically for edexcel board, thanks :0
Original post by adiva188
im a private candidate giving my physics edexcel A2 exam in june 2023, and ive started studying myself, and finding it a bit hard. please post more resources specifically for edexcel board, thanks :0

same here (: but aqa. im dying a little but trying. did you take exams 2022 as i did?
Hi I’m doing OCR a a level physics . I’m in year 13 does anyone have any tips on improving my grades.
does anyone know where to find the answers or the Isaac physics book????

Quick Reply

Latest