The Student Room Group

Are Detentions Necessary?

When getting punished in school, a detention is a standard-issue way to try to deal with problematic behaviour in students. Yet I feel this basic reason for a child receiving a detention is blown wide open, where there becomes a whole horde of reasons why they might end up with one.

I only came close to a detention once and that was for not getting enough answers in a test about Macbeth. I got one mark off getting half marks-the threshold I had to meet in order to avoid detention. However, after a marking snafus, I scraped by without receiving a lunchtime detention.

To me, detentions are about correcting inappropriate behaviour and encouraging children to work harder to achieve what they're capable of. Those struggling should receive extra support, but I feel like a detention can make boys and girls feel like they're naughty-and either they will like the sense of naughtiness and keep getting detentions, or they will improve their behaviour and perhaps not get one ever again.

So yes I think they are necessary personally, but it's up to the child as to whether they want to improve their performance or not.

Have you got any stories about getting detention and do you think they are necessary?
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
When getting punished in school, a detention is a standard-issue way to try to deal with problematic behaviour in students. Yet I feel this basic reason for a child receiving a detention is blown wide open, where there becomes a whole horde of reasons why they might end up with one.

I only came close to a detention once and that was for not getting enough answers in a test about Macbeth. I got one mark off getting half marks-the threshold I had to meet in order to avoid detention. However, after a marking snafus, I scraped by without receiving a lunchtime detention.

To me, detentions are about correcting inappropriate behaviour and encouraging children to work harder to achieve what they're capable of. Those struggling should receive extra support, but I feel like a detention can make boys and girls feel like they're naughty-and either they will like the sense of naughtiness and keep getting detentions, or they will improve their behaviour and perhaps not get one ever again.

So yes I think they are necessary personally, but it's up to the child as to whether they want to improve their performance or not.

Have you got any stories about getting detention and do you think they are necessary?

definition of 🤓
Reply 2
It can depend but I did a wee bit of research on this at my last school and found that they were usually counter-productive and that it was usually the same kids falling into the cycle, with most of them being additional needs. So I am suspicious of any appeal to necessity with these things.

I was never out of them as a kid and I was never bothered enough to do anything about it.

I got loads in school mostly for missing homework I don't feel they serve a purpose in the slightest I never lent anything from them and still forgot my home work sometimes I seriously feel though a 1/2 hour after school detention for homework of all things is a bit excessive.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I got loads in school mostly for missing homework I don't feel they serve a purpose in the slightest I never lent anything from them and still forgot my home work sometimes I seriously feel though a 1/2 hour after school detention for homework of all things is a bit excessive.

I think the purpose is to take time away from doing things you want to do after school or during lunchtime or breaktime. I know many won't care about their time being used up with detentions, but when you think about it, you're staying longer in an environment you don't want to be in-unless you like school of course. It's about keeping students inline and making sure they're not falling behind.

I think that would have been very unreasonable to have got a detention for that.

In my experience some of the times have probably reasonable but some have not. And most times were from the one teacher.

Whether they are necessary I don’t know but you notice the nicer teachers don’t need to give them as much as some others. Their classes are happier too.
Original post by GMRFox
I think that would have been very unreasonable to have got a detention for that.

In my experience some of the times have probably reasonable but some have not. And most times were from the one teacher.

Whether they are necessary I don’t know but you notice the nicer teachers don’t need to give them as much as some others. Their classes are happier too.

I was in middle-set English, so I think a detention may have been appropriate as a way to get me up to speed-but for it to be a punishment is indeed harsh.
I was in middle-set English, so I think a detention may have been appropriate as a way to get me up to speed-but for it to be a punishment is indeed harsh.

To be offered help would have been acceptable. But it would be unfair to treat it as a detention.

Did they give you more support to get upto speed?
Original post by GMRFox
To be offered help would have been acceptable. But it would be unfair to treat it as a detention.

Did they give you more support to get upto speed?

Nah I didn't really get help. I actually dodged the detention because there was a mistake in the marking or something. I got like 9/20 in the test which would've meant a lunchtime detention, but the total marks were reduced so I miraculously scraped by.
If it's always the same pupils getting detentions then I'm just going to say this despite having no expertise in education: the school probably has an ineffective/lazy behavioural policy and needs to change their ways.

This is coming from someone who almost never received any detentions that weren't whole class detentions.

Giving someone like myself a detention ironically would have probably been an effective form on punishment (if the detention is justified) because I'm not used to getting a detention but giving it to Mason who is always in detention every week? Probably not effective for him and you need to find a different strategy to get him to behave/do work and HW to a decent standard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending