The Student Room Group

A level Chemistry - year 2 aromatics question

Hi there, I cant find an explanation for this and was wondering if anyone could help?
Why when converting an NO2 group attached to benzene to a NH2 group, do you need 6[H]'s and what exactly is a [H]?
Thanks ,Daniel
Reply 1
Hi Daniel,

To my knowledge the [H] represents the reducing agent that turns nitrobenzene into aniline. This is usually Sn and HCl.
When nitrobenzene is reduced it produces aniline and water. Therefore to balance the equation you are correct, 6 hydrogens are needed on the left hand side and 2 waters on the right.
Reply 2
Original post by danhas20
Hi there, I cant find an explanation for this and was wondering if anyone could help?
Why when converting an NO2 group attached to benzene to a NH2 group, do you need 6[H]'s and what exactly is a [H]?
Thanks ,Daniel

the 4(H ) will react with the oxygen to make Water (H2o) and the other 2 will be part of the nh2 group
Reply 3
remember benzene makes a molecule more stable due to the delocalised electron cloud
https://chemrevise.files.wordpress.com/2023/02/3.10-revision-guide-arene-chemistry-aqa.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sogieva
Hi Daniel,

To my knowledge the [H] represents the reducing agent that turns nitrobenzene into aniline. This is usually Sn and HCl.
When nitrobenzene is reduced it produces aniline and water. Therefore to balance the equation you are correct, 6 hydrogens are needed on the left hand side and 2 waters on the right.

Thanks for getting back to me but I just realised I misworded my question, it was supposed to be 'why do you need 6[H]?'
I can sort of see where you're coming from but if you don't mind, could you go into a little more detail?
Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by isa04
the 4(H ) will react with the oxygen to make Water (H2o) and the other 2 will be part of the nh2 group

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i see tysm jzk
Reply 6
Original post by danhas20
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i see tysm jzk

no problem brother

Quick Reply

Latest