The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Paper 2 Higher Tier [9th June 2023]

Scroll to see replies

kidneys acc now that im realising hasnt come up in ages like in the 2022 paper there were like literally barely any only about excess amino acids - deamination but Im presuming that a good 5 marker ( I havent seen a 6 marker for kidneys ever usually its 5 ) like how the kidney produced urine or like what happens if someone is dehydrated or they had lots of water

so if they are dehydrated they want to have more water taken into the blood then its lost so basically the osmorecptors in the hypothalamus will send a signal to the p.g and the p.g will release more adh via the blood ( THERES ALWAYS A MARK FOR U JUST FOR SAYING ' ITS RELEASED INTO THE BLOOD' so that means adh increases the permeability of the kidney tubeles/ nephrons and so meaning more water is taken back to the blood or more water diffuses into the blood or more water is reabsorbed back into the blood - this results in smaller volume of urine + more concentrated urine
by the way also to say a high conc. of blood causes more adh to be released :smile:

BUT FOR SURE some evaluation is gonna come up bc none came on paper 1 so e.g could be is dialysis better or kidney transplant or some comparison they might ask - because usually in most exams theres always info given to you + your knowledge to compare 2 different things like e.g last year it was the meat burger question to evaluate !! hope this helped
Original post by K.online.
Good point! How long has it been since blood glucose or kidneys came up? I thought the relex arc was a more recent six marker, but perhaps I'm getting papers muddled. If anything, I think the six marker might be on a practical, but who knows!
Reply 21
Original post by K.online.
Ecology predictions:
- Carbon/water cycle
- Human impact on ecosystems
- Transfer of biomass in food chains
- Transects/quadrats (they come up a lot its a 50/50)
Practical prediction:
- Reaction time (potentially compare/contrast question or how to improve question)
- Maybe decay???

Thanks so much
The exam is tomorrow keep on revising and best of luck!!
Reply 22
Original post by moonr4y
Thanks so much
The exam is tomorrow keep on revising and best of luck!!

Best of luck to you as well! We are going to breeze through I'm sure. We can't go wrong if we just keep revising the spec.
me walking in to the exam knowing the brain is where the thinking is done
(edited 10 months ago)
has the reaction time practical ever come up in any papers? feel like it might come up tmrw
nope it hasnt acc they've only asked like random questions about the practical but never like a 6 marker on it so id say best to revise that but again the decay practical hasnt come up either soo do that as well. the quadrant one comes up like nearly every year so still revise that as well
Original post by ilikehotdogs
has the reaction time practical ever come up in any papers? feel like it might come up tmrw
i'm sooo scared for tmr guys
Reply 27
Icl I'm actually so stressed for this paper I always find this one so much more tricky than paper 1 but hopefully I manage somehow and AQA continue being nice to us. If not, I guess I'm bringing the grade boundaries down! (I hope not lol)
Reply 28
same omg, I’m praying that the paper isn’t as hard.
how did everyone find it?
What did people get for the calculation questions? They threw me off
Original post by LiliaCasburn
What did people get for the calculation questions? They threw me off

smth like 5755 i think?
For which one? I got 7 from the follicle one as you had to divide 38000 by the volume
Original post by user3101006
smth like 5755 i think?
Original post by LiliaCasburn
For which one? I got 7 from the follicle one as you had to divide 38000 by the volume

same
Reply 34
Original post by SophieDunn165
same

Same what did you get for the tangent one?
Hey, how do you all think it went? :smile:

GCSE Biology

Original post by Pwca
Hey, how do you all think it went? :smile:

GCSE Biology

I found the paper well but it left my brain dazzled at the end.
Original post by rysua

i got 0.6 i think for the one about how many times faster was the 15°C reaction
Reply 38
Original post by rysua

Reply 39
What did you get for how many nucleotidee
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending