The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Paper 2 Higher Tier [9th June 2023]

Poll

How did your AQA GCSE Biology Paper 2 Higher exam go today?

AQA GCSE Biology Paper 2 Higher Tier | 9th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Also, check out our article of student reactions to the exam - your comments on this thread might be on there!

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 9th June 2023 PM
Length: 1h 45m

Link to Study Group:
GCSE Biology Study Group 2022-2023
Link to Master Thread:
GCSE Exam Discussions 2023

(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

This paper is gonna be hardddddddd
does anyone have gcse paper 2 2022 bc I wanna practice before the exam
Reply 3
Original post by dxrksxullllll
does anyone have gcse paper 2 2022 bc I wanna practice before the exam

The GCSE paper 2 2022 may not be released as it had a lot of the topics taken out due to COVID. It may come out but i have not seen the papers online.
Reply 4
Does anyone have any predictions for topics likely to come up on this paper?
I mean quadrants came up a lot so its probably unlikely the practical is gonna come up BUT OF COURSE AQA IS NOT NORMAL they might even put it and hormones id say should be smth to revise and the nervous system as it was specified not on the advanced Information of last year , but whatever you do dont even spend money on buying predictions paper bc they are all bs
Original post by AmeenahHs
Does anyone have any predictions for topics likely to come up on this paper?
same I havent seen it online either thats why I asked my teacher for it
The GCSE paper 2 2022 may not be released as it had a lot of the topics taken out due to COVID. It may come out but i have not seen the papers online.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
I mean quadrants came up a lot so its probably unlikely the practical is gonna come up BUT OF COURSE AQA IS NOT NORMAL they might even put it and hormones id say should be smth to revise and the nervous system as it was specified not on the advanced Information of last year , but whatever you do dont even spend money on buying predictions paper bc they are all bs

I do think homeostasis is going to be a common topic this year since the 2022 paper didn't have much. In regards to predicted papers, I actually did buy them and of course they weren't word for word exact, but for paper 1 at least, the actual papers had topics that came up in the predicted papers, and a few questions were the exact same or very similar. AQA have been quite nice this year, lets hope that continues lol
Reply 8
how about ecology ?
what parts of ecology may come up a lot? its the worst topic in bio p2 for me
also any predictions for required practicals ???
Original post by ahmed_salem209
This paper is gonna be hardddddddd

oh god what makes you say that?
same I havent seen it online either thats why I asked my teacher for it

yeah i think it's too soon for the 2022 papers to be released. i think they release them for next year's year 11s/this year's year 10s
she acc gave it to me so im kinda glad since it was our mocks and ofc after every exam we are allowed to see the mark scheme for ourselves

Original post by ribhmaclean
yeah i think it's too soon for the 2022 papers to be released. i think they release them for next year's year 11s/this year's year 10s
Reply 12
Original post by moonr4y
how about ecology ?
what parts of ecology may come up a lot? its the worst topic in bio p2 for me
also any predictions for required practicals ???

Ecology predictions:
- Carbon/water cycle
- Human impact on ecosystems
- Transfer of biomass in food chains
- Transects/quadrats (they come up a lot its a 50/50)
Practical prediction:
- Reaction time (potentially compare/contrast question or how to improve question)
- Maybe decay???
Original post by K.online.
Ecology predictions:
- Carbon/water cycle
- Human impact on ecosystems
- Transfer of biomass in food chains
- Transects/quadrats (they come up a lot its a 50/50)
Practical prediction:
- Reaction time (potentially compare/contrast question or how to improve question)
- Maybe decay???

by decay, do you mean the decomposition of animals and things like the fossil record, or something else? also, is this triple science or double award?
Reply 14
by decay, do you mean the decomposition of animals and things like the fossil record, or something else? also, is this triple science or double award?

Yes, both of those things, particularly decomposition. However, I think it is only triple content. For double sciences, I can see there being a larger focus on the food chain and how resources are being used up/impacting the environment. I also think there might be questions on the theory of evolution and maybe even speciation.
Yes, both of those things, particularly decomposition. However, I think it is only triple content. For double sciences, I can see there being a larger focus on the food chain and how resources are being used up/impacting the environment. I also think there might be questions on the theory of evolution and maybe even speciation.

that's great, thank you :smile:
Reply 16

If speciation comes up, I think it will be about explaining the process. If evolution comes up, perhaps it will be an analysis of how something 'proves' the theory, e.g. some evidence. There will definitely be a compare question and a positive/negative (maybe on selective breeding?)
yes decay can be that but it can also be the practical which is what only triple science do not double but the rest of decay like e.g how is carbon recycled from dead plant remains into the growth of new plants/leaves -
e.g you're gonna talk about -
microorganisms/decomposers e.g like bacteria/fungi breaks down dead plant remain by digestion , they also secrete/release enzymes e.g amylase to break down the starch in the plant.( so now they have the carbon that was stored in the plant within them)

so when they respire they release carbon dioxide back to the atmosphere they also release mineral ions into the soil

so then plants take in the co2 from the atmosphere for photosynthesis - to make glucose and glucose is needed to make amino acids which is essential for the growth of new leaves and also mineral ions are taken up by the roots via active transport ( from an area of low conc. to an area of high conc. - against the concentration gradients )
ahh hope this example helped anyone ! by the way this answer is memorised by me by literally going through several questions and mark schemes of aqa :smile:

If speciation comes up, I think it will be about explaining the process. If evolution comes up, perhaps it will be an analysis of how something 'proves' the theory, e.g. some evidence. There will definitely be a compare question and a positive/negative (maybe on selective breeding?)

speciation hasnt come up in a while neither has the decay practical for triple soo its quite likely they will like I said everything that wasnt tested last year e.g the nervous system - would be probs a good 6 marker for a reflec arc question or like e.g about hyperopia/myopia . how does the eye change to look at closer/further objects - so thats when you'd probs talk about the cillary muscles and suspensory ligaments
Reply 19
speciation hasnt come up in a while neither has the decay practical for triple soo its quite likely they will like I said everything that wasnt tested last year e.g the nervous system - would be probs a good 6 marker for a reflec arc question or like e.g about hyperopia/myopia . how does the eye change to look at closer/further objects - so thats when you'd probs talk about the cillary muscles and suspensory ligaments

Good point! How long has it been since blood glucose or kidneys came up? I thought the relex arc was a more recent six marker, but perhaps I'm getting papers muddled. If anything, I think the six marker might be on a practical, but who knows!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending