The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Paper 2 Higher Tier [9th June 2023]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by a.es.the.ti.c
Love the academic spread! Did you take further maths at GCSE as well?

I wish.
I did stats instead.
Original post by syrup787
Was the number of follicles 7 or 6 because apparently some people rounded to 6 as obviously you cant have 6.995 follicles so some rounded to 6but I and everyone i asked at school got 7.

it said round to nearest whole number
Reply 922
Original post by Mrdino32
I wish.
I did stats instead.

Same I do stats! My school doesn’t offer FM.
I wish.
I did stats instead.

Oh interesting they didn't offer that at my school but I heard it's a bit easier than FM. Jokes on me though cos everyone's finished their exams now and I have FM paper 2 next Wednesday ://
Reply 924
I mean i kind of get it. My last exam is on Monday, but most of my friends have astronomy P2 on Wednesday.
I mean i kind of get it. My last exam is on Monday, but most of my friends have astronomy P2 on Wednesday.

Astronomy gee…
I'm assuming you guys are going for all or mostly grade 9s so good luck to you then and fingers crossed for results day!! :biggrin:
yea
I’ve just done this paper as a mock, wow.

I’m someone who consistently got a 9 on other past papers (one 78/100, no brag intended), and even I struggled with the wording of this paper. The knowledge was there, but trying to link it to questions was a nightmare.

Mixed opinions upon classmates, but I’ve got a feeling they just don’t want to admit it was hard. It even left my teacher confused a little after.

In summary, if you found this exam hard, don’t stress. I’d be surprised if they copied this difficulty again, and at least for us there will be different questions!
Original post by happinessishome
I’m someone who consistently got a 9 on other past papers (one 78/100, no brag intended), and even I struggled with the wording of this paper. The knowledge was there, but trying to link it to questions was a nightmare.
Mixed opinions upon classmates, but I’ve got a feeling they just don’t want to admit it was hard. It even left my teacher confused a little after.
In summary, if you found this exam hard, don’t stress. I’d be surprised if they copied this difficulty again, and at least for us there will be different questions!
I have my mock tomorrow, do you remember any of the specifically hard areas I need to revise?
Original post by Mr_Will101
I have my mock tomorrow, do you remember any of the specifically hard areas I need to revise?
Apologies about the late reply! I’d definitely have a look over the eye, kidney and Darwin/Mendel/Fossils. I’d say these were the hardest parts of the paper, alongside meiosis. There’s a question on climate change, and it’s seen as overwhelming but just think of the basics. I’ve since had the mark scheme and not done as bad as I’ve expected to be honest.

Also, just a tip, think of the women’s breasts question related to the pregnancy hormones. It makes sense when you think of it that way!
Apologies about the late reply! I’d definitely have a look over the eye, kidney and Darwin/Mendel/Fossils. I’d say these were the hardest parts of the paper, alongside meiosis. There’s a question on climate change, and it’s seen as overwhelming but just think of the basics. I’ve since had the mark scheme and not done as bad as I’ve expected to be honest.
Also, just a tip, think of the women’s breasts question related to the pregnancy hormones. It makes sense when you think of it that way!
Thanks so much, the reply wasn't too late at all, I'm just about to go into my exam now.

I remember not being able to finish the paper because it was so graph heavy but I’m sure your results will be just as well as your previous mocks. In the end I got a 9 on this paper and can say for sure I didn’t do nearly as well as you on my mocks 👍
Reply 933
Thanks so much, the reply wasn't too late at all, I'm just about to go into my exam now.

You won't get this in the real exam so you'll perform worse. This is helpful but you should treat this mock like the real thing.
Reply 934
Shush

Can't wait until you see your results. Loads of people did that in my class. Some aren't even doing the alevel courses they wanted to do now. Tbh it's just a warning.
I’d agree that it isn’t always a good idea to ‘look back’ on mocks, memorise your paper and then complete the exam but I do think it’s nice to have a little knowledge. Make sure to be careful though, revise as wide range of knowledge as possible before the exam, ensuring you’ve spread it out over a few weeks.

As my teachers say - longer term but shorter sessions wins the race!

Plus, just for the record, my mock result was a 9 (my normal). The paper’s first appearance might be bad but I wouldn’t say it’s as bad when you see the mark scheme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending