The Student Room Group

How good is 1200 hours across a full year?

If you look online, and at most universities, they say "200 hours for a 20 credit module is required," so across a year with 6 20 credit modules, they expect roughly 1200 hours, or 600 hours per semester. My question is, how good is this cohort? Is this, say, the average amount of hours a student puts in, so with this amount of hours do they predict you to get the average score? Or is it different? Is this the amount of hours they'd expect for you to do really well, like a first? Is there any breakdown in terms of scores and how many hours people said they put in? For instance, I need 75% in my remaining 3 modules to get a first, I'm putting in more work than before; I'm expecting to complete 1200 hours of work this semester. Obviously it's not exactly how much time you spend because it's about being productive, but I guess this is presuming average productivity.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Keynesian123
If you look online, and at most universities, they say "200 hours for a 20 credit module is required," so across a year with 6 20 credit modules, they expect roughly 1200 hours, or 600 hours per semester. My question is, how good is this cohort? Is this, say, the average amount of hours a student puts in, so with this amount of hours do they predict you to get the average score? Or is it different? Is this the amount of hours they'd expect for you to do really well, like a first? Is there any breakdown in terms of scores and how many hours people said they put in? For instance, I need 75% in my remaining 3 modules to get a first, I'm putting in more work than before; I'm expecting to complete 1200 hours of work this semester. Obviously it's not exactly how much time you spend because it's about being productive, but I guess this is presuming average productivity.

It's supposed to work for most people, so for most people at least 200 hours for 20 credits is required
Original post by justlearning1469
It's supposed to work for most people, so for most people at least 200 hours for 20 credits is required

But this is what I'm asking, required for what? To get a first? A 2:1? A 2:2? To pass?
Original post by Keynesian123
But this is what I'm asking, required for what? To get a first? A 2:1? A 2:2? To pass?

To pass, assuming you are using your time effectively. But it doesn't work like that, and frankly, only an economist could think it would! :rolleyes:. You have to absorb information and then be able to apply it effectively. There will be a rubric about grades, and how much effort you have to put in to get those grades depends on your personal skill set, not time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending