The Student Room Group

Is it possible to be a part-time primary school teacher?

If so, is it generally uncommon?
Original post by issawrap
If so, is it generally uncommon?

Teaching full time. I would think being a teaching assistant the part time role.
Original post by Mohammed_2000
Teaching full time. I would think being a teaching assistant the part time role.

No, you can be a part-time teacher.
Original post by Muttley79
No, you can be a part-time teacher.

Oh okay
Reply 4
Original post by Mohammed_2000

Ha - that is the myth of the centaury. Everyone in education is generally dedicated but given the pittance of pay TAs get they are truly incredible given what they do.

Teachers and TAs can negotiate part-time contracts be it 2,3 or 4 days a week. Something worth pointing out though is that you don't necessarily get to choose which days you work and they may change from year to year. You also often get a raw deal with regard to PPA time and meetings.
Original post by hotpud
Ha - that is the myth of the centaury. Everyone in education is generally dedicated but given the pittance of pay TAs get they are truly incredible given what they do.
Teachers and TAs can negotiate part-time contracts be it 2,3 or 4 days a week. Something worth pointing out though is that you don't necessarily get to choose which days you work and they may change from year to year. You also often get a raw deal with regard to PPA time and meetings.

No you don't 'get a raw deal' with regard to PPA and meetings. You attend the same proportion as your part time contract.. So 3 days gets you 3/5 of the PPA and meetings.
I write the timetable so know how this works - we negotiate days off and even which times of the day they are in.
Reply 6
No you don't 'get a raw deal' with regard to PPA and meetings. You attend the same proportion as your part time contract.. So 3 days gets you 3/5 of the PPA and meetings.
I write the timetable so know how this works - we negotiate days off and even which times of the day they are in.

I think you misunderstand me. If you work for example on a Monday and Thursday and it happens that there is a staff meeting on a Monday evening, you would be expected to go to it. The teacher who worked Tuesday and Thursday would not attend or be expected to attend that meeting. Similarly with things like open evening and parents evenings. If they happen to fall on your work day, there is an expectation that you attend regardless of your contract. Despite being in the right arguing the toss about the unfairness of it generally comes across as petty and inflexible. Either way, you are being done down.
Original post by hotpud
I think you misunderstand me. If you work for example on a Monday and Thursday and it happens that there is a staff meeting on a Monday evening, you would be expected to go to it. The teacher who worked Tuesday and Thursday would not attend or be expected to attend that meeting. Similarly with things like open evening and parents evenings. If they happen to fall on your work day, there is an expectation that you attend regardless of your contract. Despite being in the right arguing the toss about the unfairness of it generally comes across as petty and inflexible. Either way, you are being done down.

No that's not how it can work. Their directed time allocation is worked out so they do get the right proportion of meetings. A department meeting will be on the day all the team are in for example and staff meetings rotated so everyone gets a fair allocation. If that is not happening then complain.
Reply 8
No that's not how it can work. Their directed time allocation is worked out so they do get the right proportion of meetings. A department meeting will be on the day all the team are in for example and staff meetings rotated so everyone gets a fair allocation. If that is not happening then complain.

If you say so. However, it is a reality in all the places I have worked. Similarly with inset days. If they happen to land on the day you work, you are expected to turn up for the full inset even though in theory you should apply the multiplier to inset days too. Thems the reality I'm afraid.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by hotpud
If you say so. However, it is a reality in all the places I have worked. Similarly with inset days. If they happen to land on the day you work, you are expected to turn up for the full inset even though in theory you should apply the multiplier to inset days too. Thems the reality I'm afraid.

Not in my school or others I know - if you want a part-time job then ask about these things before you accept. I timetabled one teacher to come in period 2 so she could drop her children off at school. If a school values its staff then that's what it does.
Reply 10
Not in my school or others I know - if you want a part-time job then ask about these things before you accept. I timetabled one teacher to come in period 2 so she could drop her children off at school. If a school values its staff then that's what it does.

Fair dos. I can't see that working in a large comprehensive en mass. Ironically in my place, it is the part timers who get first dibs and then the full timers who have to fill in the gaps and mop up. Even then, our meeting day was proposed to be changed so that it would catch more of the part timers who currently don't attend.
Original post by hotpud
Fair dos. I can't see that working in a large comprehensive en mass. Ironically in my place, it is the part timers who get first dibs and then the full timers who have to fill in the gaps and mop up. Even then, our meeting day was proposed to be changed so that it would catch more of the part timers who currently don't attend.

Yes, when I do the timetable the part-timers days go in first.

My school is 1200 + so not small ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending