The Student Room Group

University timetable

Hi im starting uni in september

Do timetables stay the same all year or do they change every term?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi,

I have just graduated from uni in July and from my personal experience my timetable changed every term.

What University are you going to in September?

Hope this helps🙂
Louise - The University of Wolverhampton
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous

It changes with each new semester. Although at my uni my timetable looks slightly different every week too!
(edited 3 months ago)

Hi!

As others have said it generally changes each semester, but for me also it does change a little during the first week of the semester as well as you choose which tutorial groups you are in etc.

If you're worried about getting a job and figuring out working hours, I wouldn't be. Most jobs that employ students have employed many students over the years and they know how it all works so as long as you are open about what's going on you should be perfectly fine. (Or top tip, if you can get a job with the uni itself it's even better as they are always SO understanding about timetables and exams and coursework deadlines 🙂)

I hope this helps!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Hi Anon,

It really depends on the university and degree. My timetable was different every week, with some similarities across each term/half a term dependent on when different modules started (e.g. one module always had 2 lectures a week at the same time, but the workshops/practicals varied a lot).

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 5
Also do most unis get a month off for christmas? Or is every uni/course different?
Also do most unis get a month off for christmas? Or is every uni/course different?

I think most unis get a month off
Reply 7

Not necessarily. Bristol doesn't for example.

You'd need to check the specific dates for each university (Bristol's are at https://www.bristol.ac.uk/university/dates/) and also bear in mind that that some programmes might differ from the "standard" dates.

Hey there!

It completely depends on the course but more often than not your timetable will change every semester as you'll most likely be doing different modules each semester with different lecturers. Some courses have a timetable that changes every week but usually it stays the same throughout the semester.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there,

It can depend on your course but it changes with each modules you are on. Mine change every semester.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hey there 😀

Firstly, I hope you will enjoy university as this can be the greatest adventure!

It is important to notice that timetables will vary depending on the course you are taking and the university you are attending.

For example, I am doing Psychology. In my first year, my timetable stayed almost the same throughout the academic year, and I had around 12 hours of classes per week. In my second, it indeed changed, but the rule remained the same. The only changes in the timetables happened when I had different tutorials or seminars introduced after a term passed.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Reply 11
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey there 😀

Firstly, I hope you will enjoy university as this can be the greatest adventure!

It is important to notice that timetables will vary depending on the course you are taking and the university you are attending.

For example, I am doing Psychology. In my first year, my timetable stayed almost the same throughout the academic year, and I had around 12 hours of classes per week. In my second, it indeed changed, but the rule remained the same. The only changes in the timetables happened when I had different tutorials or seminars introduced after a term passed.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Are typical uni days full days or can they be half days as well?

Hiya!

Of course - the timetable can be incredibly varied depending on what type of lessons you have, what subject you are learning, if that space is available and lecturers etc. For example, right now Monday I am in 9-11 for a Lecture and 11-13 for a workshop but next module on a Monday I have a lecture 9-11, workshop 11-16.

Hope this answers your question,
-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University

Hi Anon,
Mine changes week on week! The days we have off normally (fingers crossed) stay the same but the hours I have everyday and every week vary. I have mates taking other courses at the uni who's timetables never change all year! Maybe it can depend on the course you’re taking too?
best wishes
Emily
Reply 14

It can vary.

Sometimes you can end up with just one contact hour on a given day -- or you could end up with 6 or 7 contact hours. (The term "contact hour" refers to any kind of activity -- a lecture, seminar, tutorial, lab session, workshop, problem class, etc.) Your first session of the day could be at 9am, or at 4pm. Or you could have a 9am and a 4pm with nothing in between.

Some courses (e.g. Arts subjects) can be very light on contact hours compared to (say) Science and Engineering courses, but that just means you're expected to spend a greater proportion of your time doing independent study.

Typically Wednesday afternoons are kept free.
Reply 15
Original post by martin7
It can vary.

Sometimes you can end up with just one contact hour on a given day -- or you could end up with 6 or 7 contact hours. (The term "contact hour" refers to any kind of activity -- a lecture, seminar, tutorial, lab session, workshop, problem class, etc.) Your first session of the day could be at 9am, or at 4pm. Or you could have a 9am and a 4pm with nothing in between.

Some courses (e.g. Arts subjects) can be very light on contact hours compared to (say) Science and Engineering courses, but that just means you're expected to spend a greater proportion of your time doing independent study.

Typically Wednesday afternoons are kept free.

Wednesday afteenoons are kept free for all unis and courses?

Nope. Each uni does things differently. I used to have a lecture on Wednesday afternoon.

Hi Anon!

From my experience, timetables changed every term, but they sometimes change during term too so I’d just keep an eye on the timetable regularly so you don’t miss anything

Hope this helps!

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Reply 18

I was careful to say "typically" as that's my understanding of the situation, and I'm certainly not in a position to make a claim "for all unis and courses". @Scotland Yard has just given a counterexample.

Even at universities where Wednesday afternoons are generally kept free there will be exceptions if that's the only time available for a particular session to take place.

Hi there!

From my experience, they change every term!

-Rebecca, UCLan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending