The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Biology Paper 1 [7th June 2023] Exam Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi guys, what required practicals are required to know for paper 1 in particular?
Reply 61
Original post by Jofu54
Guyss. I know with maths q it comes with practice, but some ppl just KNOW the steps to go through on any maths qs, like the first thing to do etc. idk I was just wondering if anyone has a strategy when they come to approaching maths q in Bio. I know it’s a vague request cus there’s so many different types of maths questions you could get, but it would be helpful if any of you could share your own steps when you see a maths Q :smile:

I think look at what the units for the answer should be in and work backwards from there and see what exactly u need to do to get to the final answer?
Hi does anyone have a copy of the 2022 a level paper or mark scheme please? thank you : ))
Reply 63
Original post by helloavs
Hi guys, what required practicals are required to know for paper 1 in particular?

Physics and maths tutor has good resources on all of the practical's, I've linked the practical section below. It's the first 6 (1-6) that are for paper 1, the last 6 (7-12) are for paper 2. Hope this helps :biggrin:

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/biology-revision/a-level-aqa/practical-skills/
Reply 64
hi , can anyone explain statistical tests please. I find it so confusing and I don't know when the result has a significant difference or not and it being due to chance ???
Original post by Sb17890
hi , can anyone explain statistical tests please. I find it so confusing and I don't know when the result has a significant difference or not and it being due to chance ???

chi-squared, experimental value must be equal to or greater than the critical value to be significant and reject the null hypothesis; if experimental value is less than the critical value then there is no difference and you accept the null hypothesis.

student t-test, t value must be equal to or greater than the critical value to be significant and reject the null hypothesis; if t value is less than the critical value then there is no difference and you accept the null hypothesis.

spearman's rank, if the correlation co-efficient is equal to or greater than the critical value, then there is a significant difference and reject null hypothesis; if the correlation co-efficient is less than the critical value then there is not significant difference and we can accept the null hypothesis

recommend miss estruch videos - https://youtu.be/Ku0ACiDBUB0
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Sb17890

basically, when the p value < 0.05 (critical region) the test is statistically significant and the null hypothesis is rejected, results not due to chance
when the p value > 0.05 (critical region) the test is NOT statistically significant and the null hypothesis is accepted, results are due to chance

greater - ACCEPT, CHANCE if that helps you to remember!
Original post by Sb17890

They could ask about P values or critical values. If test statistic greater than critical value, it's significant, otherwise it's likely due to chance. If P values are given, a P value of less than 0.05 means it's a significant difference or correlation, otherwise it's likely due to chance.
Reply 68
Hi, i've completed all the A level past papers. would it be a good idea to do the AS ones or not?
Original post by 08Luna
Hi, i've completed all the A level past papers. would it be a good idea to do the AS ones or not?

It can't hurt for Paper 1 revision, but I'm guessing the questions are slightly easier so it might not be quite the same.
Reply 70
Original post by 08Luna

Maybe redo a past paper to see if you’ve learnt from the ms? Or select the challenging qs :smile:
Original post by Sb17890

If it shows P < 0.05 it means that the probability of it being due to chance is less than 5% so this means the results are significant.

If it shows P > 0.05 it means that there is a more than 5% probability of it being due to chance. This means the difference is not significant.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Hi, do you have a copy of the 2022 papers ? x
Original post by 08Luna
Original post by discordhmmm
Hi, do you have a copy of the 2022 papers ? x

Hi, i have the papers but it exceeds the limit for file size, i might be able to email it to you if you pm me your email. i can also just send the mark scheme if youd prefer that
Hi
Please could I also have a copy of the 2022 papers? Thanks
Reply 75
does anyone know what came up in AS papers this year, and if that has any relation to our paper 1
could you send it to me pls
Original post by KingNurple
Hi, i have the papers but it exceeds the limit for file size, i might be able to email it to you if you pm me your email. i can also just send the mark scheme if youd prefer that
Original post by —-aa
could you send it to me pls

here is the mark scheme for the paper i need an email as the file size is too large
Thank you so much for the mark scheme! Do you by any chance have the mark scheme for the other papers please? Thanks
I will dm you
Original post by KingNurple
here is the mark scheme for the paper i need an email as the file size is too large

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending