The Student Room Group

WJEC A-Level Biology Unit 3 (A2) [7th June 2023] Exam Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsOWEN
yes it was only a 1 mark question so and was on the page at the top after the table of numbers of frogs.

I think I remember talking to you last year on the unit 1 or 2 biology thread
Reply 41
Original post by Aspiringdentist6
I think I remember talking to you last year on the unit 1 or 2 biology thread

I remember too now. How did you find Unit 3? Have you been accepted onto a medicine course for dentistry? I'm thinking of doing dental hygiene next year.
Original post by MrsOWEN
I remember too now. How did you find Unit 3? Have you been accepted onto a medicine course for dentistry? I'm thinking of doing dental hygiene next year.

Overall I found Unit 3 decent, not extremely easy, but definitely not too challenging either. I'm hopefully going to start dental school this september at Queens University Belfast ( providing results day goes to plan) Also its great to hear that you are considering a career in this field, what made you consider dental hygiene?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 43
What did everyone put for the last two points for the 9 marker? I sadly ran out of time and rushed over the last two points, I just described the fact that the Na+ channels stop the action potential from reaching as the Na+ ions aren't there to continue the nerve impulse (or similar to that), and basically just described how the Ca+ channels lead to the AcylCholine not being released/exocyted (if that's how you say it) through the membrane.
Original post by JooJoo463
What did everyone put for the last two points for the 9 marker? I sadly ran out of time and rushed over the last two points, I just described the fact that the Na+ channels stop the action potential from reaching as the Na+ ions aren't there to continue the nerve impulse (or similar to that), and basically just described how the Ca+ channels lead to the AcylCholine not being released/exocyted (if that's how you say it) through the membrane.

for anaesthetic a i put na+ can’t enter the neurone so threshold can’t be exceed = no action potential = no depolarisation. then for anaesthetic b i talked about how ca2+ cause vesicles with neurotransmitter to fuse with the membrane of the pre synaptic neurone and release it by exocytosis then how the NT binds to receptors on the post synaptic neurone so na+ rapidly diffuse in and then the bit about threshold again
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 45
Original post by alyssaisthebest
for that i said we exhale it! i looked at previous mark scheme that asked about what happens to the co2 and it usually says about breathing out but the wording of it made me a bit stumped. hopefully we did alright!

it said what happened to the carbon atoms because of the enzyme didnt it, i wrote that decarboxylase removes the carbon atoms and that they are lost :frown: i probs got it wrong now
Reply 46
Original post by Imyay
it said what happened to the carbon atoms because of the enzyme didnt it, i wrote that decarboxylase removes the carbon atoms and that they are lost :frown: i probs got it wrong now

same lol, said decarboxylase removes a carboxyl group releasing CO2. i thought about writing that it was breathed out but it was only one mark so i didn't and now I'm regretting it lol
Original post by Kahootchamp
How did everyone find it?

Hi do u remember any of the questions/ specific topics if so please can u let me know
Original post by gankaku

same lol, said decarboxylase removes a carboxyl group releasing CO2. i thought about writing that it was breathed out but it was only one mark so i didn't and now I'm regretting it lol

Hi do u remember any of the questions/ specific topics if so please can u let me know
Does anyone have the paper or can you let me know what was it in please
Original post by ZaheeT

Really? If u look at the last 3 years of past papers you could’ve figured out the 9 marker would be nervous or respiration

Do u remember what was in the paper or do u have it anything would be appreciated pls
Original post by Pavilliknx5

Yes my answer was quite similar to that too. I just said how the pH change reflect the electron chemical gradient

Do u remember what was in the paper or do u have it anything would be appreciated pls
Does anyone have the 2023 unit 3 biology paper and the mark scheme? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending