The Student Room Group

OCR A A-Level Biology Unified Biology [21st June 2023] Exam Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JA03

OCR A A-Level Biology Unified Biology | 21st June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 21st June 2023 AM
Length: 1h30m

Link to Study Group:
A-Level Biology Study Group 2022-2023

How is everyone revising for this paper? other than flashcards and Past paper Qs?
realised i misread so many qs in p2. described graphs instead of explaining etc... :/
Original post by smellyfeet112233
realised i misread so many qs in p2. described graphs instead of explaining etc... :/

I made some really stupid mistakes too
does anyone remember the questions from paper 1 or at least the topics ?
Original post by DS13990609
Expecting a link between DNA (module 2) and PCR (module 6)
Maybe Stem cells (module 2) to diabetes treatment (module 5)
Respiration and Photosynthesis
Haven't seen much about ECGs or those P, Q, R S wave diagrams - maybe link that to heart rate practical or adrenaline fight or flight response idk

I'll prepare some topics later, but this is all I can think of

i dont think its going to be about the heart because we already had some questions about it
Reply 65
Original post by idk222222222
does anyone remember the questions from paper 1 or at least the topics ?

Heart circulation in left side, label Kidney structure, plant transport and hormones, a bit on synapse, also i think haemoglobin? sorry thats all i remember (nothing on respiration or human responses)
Original post by Giraffe001
Heart circulation in left side, label Kidney structure, plant transport and hormones, a bit on synapse, also i think haemoglobin? sorry thats all i remember (nothing on respiration or human responses)

thank you that's all i needed
topics that didn't show up in papers 1 and 2
-cell structure
-biological molecules (there was only experiments)
-nucleotides
-biological membranes
-exchange and transport
-classification and evolution
-animal responses
-PHOTOSYNTHESIS
-RESPIRATION
-cellular control
-pattern inheritance
-evolution
-manipulating genomes
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 68
saw a question about levels of TP and RuBP, and that of TP is higher in the dark than in light while that of RuBP was lower in the dark than when there's light, could anyone please explain why? thank you !!
Original post by dyingggg
saw a question about levels of TP and RuBP, and that of TP is higher in the dark than in light while that of RuBP was lower in the dark than when there's light, could anyone please explain why? thank you !!

do you have the whole question
Reply 70
Here, I know how to calculate it but was stuck on why the levels are like that

Melvin Calvin studied the light-independent reaction (Calvin cycle) in plant cells.

He used radiolabelled 14CO2 to measure the production of organic molecules in chloroplasts.

He placed an aquatic plant in water.

The plant was given light for 20 minutes.

The light was then turned off (dark conditions) for a further 30 seconds.

He measured the radioactivity of the solutions produced and used these values to calculate the number of

molecules of triose phosphate (TP) and ribulose bisphosphate (RuBP) present. The results are shown in the table below.

Activity of 14C (x10^27 Bq)

After 20 minutes light / 30 seconds dark conditions

Molecule:

TP 5.5 ; 10.1

RuBP 4.9 ; 0.6

Assuming 8.5 × 10^18 Bq are generated by each 14C atom in the molecule, how many new TP molecules are

produced after 30 seconds in the dark

A 6.47 × 10^8

B 1.80 × 10^8

C 1.83 × 10^27

D 3.37 × 10^27

do you have the whole question
Reply 71
Original post by Exodium619404
Some teachers mentioned that topics appeared in paper 1 and paper 2 will come up too as it’s unified. Usually this paper is about interlinked topics and full of weird questions…also I’m worried about the time as it’s shorter but still 2 6markers? Is that correct?

I am not sure about the topics from 1 and 2 coming up in 3. However, with timing the paper 3 is shorter however it is also less marks as 1 and 2 are 100 marks each but 3 is 70 marks. So I wouldn't worry about that toooo much.

Paper 3 is a weird one to revise for, what I've found works for me is just past paper EQ and if there is anything I don't remember content wise I go back and review that topic.
Original post by sal_
I am not sure about the topics from 1 and 2 coming up in 3. However, with timing the paper 3 is shorter however it is also less marks as 1 and 2 are 100 marks each but 3 is 70 marks. So I wouldn't worry about that toooo much.

Paper 3 is a weird one to revise for, what I've found works for me is just past paper EQ and if there is anything I don't remember content wise I go back and review that topic.

Sounds like a good plan! I’m now gonna split my brain into three parts for chem bio and maths…just gonna try my best atm!!! GUYS WE CAN DO THIS!!! 6DAYS TO GO AND IM DONE
Reply 73
Original post by Exodium619404
Sounds like a good plan! I’m now gonna split my brain into three parts for chem bio and maths…just gonna try my best atm!!! GUYS WE CAN DO THIS!!! 6DAYS TO GO AND IM DONE

yeah, i have the bio and maths thing too but yeah its all we can do, best of luck :smile:
topics that didn't show up in papers 1 and 2
-cell structure
-biological molecules (there was only experiments)
-nucleotides
-biological membranes
-exchange and transport
-classification and evolution
-animal responses
-PHOTOSYNTHESIS
-RESPIRATION
-cellular control
-pattern inheritance
-evolution
-manipulating genomes

did hormonal /neuronal communication show up ? i acc dont remember
Original post by emilia 1234
did hormonal /neuronal communication show up ? i acc dont remember

There was apparently some questions about synapses
Is endotherm and ecotherms part of the neuronal communication?
(edited 10 months ago)
There was apparently some questions about synapses
Is endotherm and ecotherms part of the neuronal communication?

Original post by rshakir
Endotherms and Ecotherms is part of hormonal communication

not its part of homeostasis
the neuronal question was a small one though do you think its worth revising
(edited 10 months ago)
How is everyone revising for this paper? I'm a bit lost
Reply 78
Original post by K_2004sNerd
How is everyone revising for this paper? I'm a bit lost

Haven’t started tbh, focusing on other subjects. But planning on revising weakest topics and just briefly going over the rest
Original post by emilia 1234
not its part of homeostasis
the neuronal question was a small one though do you think its worth revising

i thought questions won't come up again from paper 1 but then i was doing a past paper yesterday and there was a 6 marker about atp in paper 1 and again a 4 marker about atp in paper 3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending