The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Chemistry Paper 2 (7405/2) - 19th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ifif4
Can someone please help me with this question? I don't understand why the answer is

In the first version of reaction 2 it's showing a reaction with excess NH3.

The question states that reaction 2 is carried out under different conditions and it still produces a compound with Nitrogen so it has to be with excess alkane and NH3 is limiting so the alkane reacts with NH3 multiple times to make an N substituted compound.

The general rule is a reaction with an alkane and excess NH3 you get an amide.

A reaction with NH3 and excess alkane you get an N-substituted amide as the H on NH3 is substituted for the alkane.

It goes from a to to amine and a further reaction can lead to which is an ammonium salt.

However the compound can't be an ammonium salt as that has too many CH groups so it has to be a amine as that's the only one that can make C9H21N

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by JJ <3
This was what someone posted earlier, took a ss then!

thank you so much! i forgot to take a ss and thought i'd lost it haha youre a lifesaver
Reply 42
Original post by jjj.jjj
thank you so much! i forgot to take a ss and thought i'd lost it haha youre a lifesaver

No worries ahaha
Reply 43
for drawing mechanisms / calculations are we allowed to write in pencil? because im scared in mechanisms that ill make a mistake if i do it in pen
Reply 44
Original post by TIna22459
for drawing mechanisms / calculations are we allowed to write in pencil? because im scared in mechanisms that ill make a mistake if i do it in pen

I’m pretty sure pencil isn’t picked up but then someone will go through and mark it manually. Tbh I would do pen because I wouldn’t want to risk it. Maybe if you’re really unsure work it out with pencil and then write it out in pen? But it should be fine- I saw aqa post a tweet about this.
Reply 45
Original post by Raconteuryou
In the first version of reaction 2 it's showing a reaction with excess NH3.

The question states that reaction 2 is carried out under different conditions and it still produces a compound with Nitrogen so it has to be with excess alkane and NH3 is limiting so the alkane reacts with NH3 multiple times to make an N substituted compound.

The general rule is a reaction with an alkane and excess NH3 you get an amide.

A reaction with NH3 and excess alkane you get an N-substituted amide as the H on NH3 is substituted for the alkane.

It goes from a to to amine and a further reaction can lead to which is an ammonium salt.

However the compound can't be an ammonium salt as that has too many CH groups so it has to be a amine as that's the only one that can make C9H21N

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much
Reply 46
Original post by Emmaz033
I’m pretty sure pencil isn’t picked up but then someone will go through and mark it manually. Tbh I would do pen because I wouldn’t want to risk it. Maybe if you’re really unsure work it out with pencil and then write it out in pen? But it should be fine- I saw aqa post a tweet about this.

Pretty sure it says u can use pencil in the instructions but it’d have to be HB or something.
for reduction of nitriles to amines can you say any from: 1. LiAlH4 + dry ether + dilute acid 2. Fe + HCl 3. Ni + H2 or is it just the 1st one?
Reply 48
Original post by cersef
Pretty sure it says u can use pencil in the instructions but it’d have to be HB or something.

okey thank you!
guys for paper 2 are there any practical heavy questions, ill be honest not touched practicals
Original post by B7861
guys for paper 2 are there any practical heavy questions, ill be honest not touched practicals

Yep theres always at least one organic practical - recrystallisation etc
Guys does anyone know of any good papers to use if you’ve already done the past papers
Reply 52
During non selective reduction when butanal is reduced by H2 to butan-1-ol would the reaction be:

CH3CH2CH2CHO + H2 ---> CH3CH2CH2CH2OH

Or this?

CH3CH2CH2CHO + 2H2 --> CH3CH2CH2CH2OH

And if so, why isn't it the other one?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 53
Anyone have any predictions?
Original post by .SBH
During non seluctive reduction when butanal us reduced by H2 to butan-1-ol would the reaction be:

CH3CH2CH2CHO + H2 ---> CH3CH2CH2CH2OH

Or this?

CH3CH2CH2CHO + 2H2 --> CH3CH2CH2CH2OH

And if so, why isn't it the other one?

Due to the fact that there should be the same amount of everything on each side, the answer is the first one. (4C on each side for both, 1O on each side for both). Since there's 10H on the RHS, there has to be 10H on the LHS.
Reply 55
Original post by Atif Siddique
Due to the fact that there should be the same amount of everything on each side, the answer is the first one. (4C on each side for both, 1O on each side for both). Since there's 10H on the RHS, there has to be 10H on the LHS.

I see what you mean but there was also a reaction underneath it with a ketone, it has the same number of carbons and hydrogens as the first one but it had the formula:

CH3COCH2CH3 + 2H2 --> CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3

The hydrogens don't balance here so I'm still confused but thank you for the answer
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by DH.5000000

I was wondering the same thing - I've got this weekend to recap the whole of organic otherwise. Predictions tend to be best for paper 3 since that covers what we have already done in previous tests - you get to cross a lot off.
Reply 57
Original post by studybug531
for reduction of nitriles to amines can you say any from: 1. LiAlH4 + dry ether + dilute acid 2. Fe + HCl 3. Ni + H2 or is it just the 1st one?

LiAlH4 in ether
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by DH.5000000

im not entirely sure but maybe some organic chemistry?
Reply 59
Original post by studybug531
for the nucleophilic sub reaction with cyanide, should i write the reagents and conditions as KCN in alcohol/ethanoic solution or in alcohol and water? is it the same thing?? this q only allows alcohol and water. Screenshot 2023-06-16 094610.png

KCN in ethanol/water mixture and heat under reflux
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending