The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Chemistry Paper 2 (7405/2) - 19th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by CharlieB8KR
i assume its simply because no other info is provided and the question explicitly says it is an ester so he added the CH3-O- to form the ester as this must be the structure based off of the rest of the information provided

ohhh okay that makes sense but then why isnt it CH2CH3 instead of just CH3 like that’d still be an ester ? cause like quartet so 3 hydrogens adjacent so should it not be as the right side is set up ??
Original post by FloryK
ohhh okay that makes sense but then why isnt it CH2CH3 instead of just CH3 like that’d still be an ester ? cause like quartet so 3 hydrogens adjacent so should it not be as the right side is set up ??

likely because of the wavelength being within the range that suggests that the quartet is attached to C=O
Reply 82
does anyone know if we need to know the aquation for how tollens reagent reacts with an aldehyde?
CH3CHO + 2Cu2+ 4OH- -----> CH3COOH + Cu2O + 2H2O
Reply 83
guys im really struggling with organic and scared for monday. any tips on how to actually understand the content and get as many marks in the exam. i really hope there's lots of physical stuff on there if not im screwed
Reply 84
likely because of the wavelength being within the range that suggests that the quartet is attached to C=O

okay thank you! also there’s another question on his video and i did part bi and bii right but i don’t get why he’s done CH3CCh3 for part biii ?? what has he done with the other H3 that should be on the carbon according to the formula at 0.7-1.2 ? and actually ehy has he used 0.7 to 1.2 instead of 1.2 to 1.4 ???
image.jpg
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 85
just learn the mechanisms, reactions and conditions honestly. don't waste time learning the basics.
Original post by maaz_2479
guys im really struggling with organic and scared for monday. any tips on how to actually understand the content and get as many marks in the exam. i really hope there's lots of physical stuff on there if not im screwed
Reply 86
Do you think theres any point doing 2021 and 2020 ppq since the exams were cancelled for that year?
Reply 87
Hey, does anyone know if we're allowed to write on the data sheet given? (Obviously not before they let you start) Thanks.
Reply 88
Original post by RedFoxyyy
Do you think theres any point doing 2021 and 2020 ppq since the exams were cancelled for that year?

I mean, practice is practice - they're still valid questions so I would do them if I was in your place. However if you feel your revision would be more efficient doing something else and it would make you feel better, then do that :smile:Hope this helped.
Reply 89
Original post by YellowSuns
I mean, practice is practice - they're still valid questions so I would do them if I was in your place. However if you feel your revision would be more efficient doing something else and it would make you feel better, then do that :smile:Hope this helped.

that makes sense, thank you!
Reply 90
Original post by ro04
does anyone know if we need to know the aquation for how tollens reagent reacts with an aldehyde?
CH3CHO + 2Cu2+ 4OH- -----> CH3COOH + Cu2O + 2H2O

We do - is that the equation? I thought it was this:
RCHO + 2[Ag(NH₃)₂] + 3OH⁻ RCOO⁻ +2Ag+ 4NH₃ + 2H₂O
Original post by YellowSuns
We do - is that the equation? I thought it was this:
RCHO + 2[Ag(NH₃)₂] + 3OH⁻ RCOO⁻ +2Ag+ 4NH₃ + 2H₂O

this is part of the transition metal topic which is inorganic. this won't be assessed in paper 2 although you will need to know the tests etc
hey folks, for anyone looking for topic predictions, this video goes through all the topics in past papers since 2017 and at the end is a summary of common topics that come up every/almost all years and how many marks they were on average across all the papers. before paper 1, i watched their paper 1 video and it was really accurate!! i found it really helpful so i just thought I'd leave it here in case it would help anyone else :smile:
https://youtu.be/TiguW81bH8U
Reply 93
ohhh okay thank you guys!!
no because I actually just acknowledged my name on this, I don't remember when I did that aaaa
Reply 95
(from AQA 2017) 1. A second TLC experiment was carried out using 1,2-dinitrobenzene and
1,4-dinitrobenzene. An identical plate to that in Question 8.3 was used under
the same conditions with the same solvent. In this experiment, the Rf value of
1,4-dinitrobenzene was found to be greater than that of 1,2-dinitrobenzene.
Deduce the relative polarities of the 1,2-dinitrobenzene and 1,4-dinitrobenzene
and explain why 1,4-dinitrobenzene has the greater Rf value

please can someone explain how to answer these type of questions. I don't understand what it means by polar/non polar attractions with stationary/mobile phase and the effect it has

2. State in general terms what determines the distance travelled by a spot in TLC.
-Balance between solubility in moving phase and retention by stationary phase - what does that even mean?
Original post by Darwizzy
(from AQA 2017) 1. A second TLC experiment was carried out using 1,2-dinitrobenzene and
1,4-dinitrobenzene. An identical plate to that in Question 8.3 was used under
the same conditions with the same solvent. In this experiment, the Rf value of
1,4-dinitrobenzene was found to be greater than that of 1,2-dinitrobenzene.
Deduce the relative polarities of the 1,2-dinitrobenzene and 1,4-dinitrobenzene
and explain why 1,4-dinitrobenzene has the greater Rf value

please can someone explain how to answer these type of questions. I don't understand what it means by polar/non polar attractions with stationary/mobile phase and the effect it has

2. State in general terms what determines the distance travelled by a spot in TLC.
-Balance between solubility in moving phase and retention by stationary phase - what does that even mean?

basically in TLC substance you want to use is place on a plate (stationary phase) and carried up it using a solvent (mobile phase)
both the plate and solvent can be polar or nonpolar
polar substances are attracted to polar solvents/surfaces and vice versa
therefore, more polar substances will travel further in polar solvents due to them having a greater affinity for eachother

in terms of this question, it can be deduced that 1,2dinitrobenzene is more polar due to its arrangement of polar groups and therefore it will have a lower affinity to the nonpolar solvent and a higher affinity for the polar TLC plate that is being used.
Therefore, it has a lower retention time due to it not being as attracted to the mobile phase.
The inverse can be said about 1,4ndinitrobenzene
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 97
basically in TLC substance you want to use is place on a plate (stationary phase) and carried up it using a solvent (mobile phase)
both the plate and solvent can be polar or nonpolar
polar substances are attracted to polar solvents/surfaces and vice versa
therefore, more polar substances will travel further in polar solvents due to them having a greater affinity for eachother

in terms of this question, it can be deduced that 1,2dinitrobenzene is more polar due to its arrangement of polar groups and therefore it will have a lower affinity to the nonpolar solvent and a higher affinity for the polar TLC plate that is being used.
Therefore, it has a lower retention time due to it not being as attracted to the mobile phase.
The inverse can be said about 1,4ndinitrobenzene

thanks. if affinity to the polar/non polar solvent affects how far it moves up the plate then what effect does affinity to the polar/non polar stationary phase have?

what does lower retention time mean? :confused:
Reply 98
Original post by Darwizzy
thanks. if affinity to the polar/non polar solvent affects how far it moves up the plate then what effect does affinity to the polar/non polar stationary phase have?

what does lower retention time mean? :confused:

Higher affinity to mobile phase (eg. solvent, or carrier gas in gas chromatography)= Moves faster
Higher affinity to stationary phase (eg. TLC plate) = moves slower

Lower retention time means that the substance is "released" faster. So in column/gas chromatography, the faster the substance is separated and comes out of the tube thingy, the lower the retention time is.
Reply 99
does anyone have a list of things that came up for physical in paper 1 or a list of predictions? plss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending