The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan looks too low?

Hi,

I’ve just had my student finance approved for the 23/24 year, and I should be eligible for pretty much the maximum welsh govt. learning grant as my parents are both on benefits due to one having a disability and the other being their full time carer. However, I just had a look at the payments on my application and my Maintenance loan is only a total of £3,620. Is this not including the govt. grant? Otherwise I won’t even be able to afford my halls!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Isaac_fuller_
Hi,

I’ve just had my student finance approved for the 23/24 year, and I should be eligible for pretty much the maximum welsh govt. learning grant as my parents are both on benefits due to one having a disability and the other being their full time carer. However, I just had a look at the payments on my application and my Maintenance loan is only a total of £3,620. Is this not including the govt. grant? Otherwise I won’t even be able to afford my halls!

I believe it should be closer to £8,000 if you’re living in halls and outside of London. However, the low loan could be due to your parents’ annual income.
Original post by JA03
I believe it should be closer to £8,000 if you’re living in halls and outside of London. However, the low loan could be due to your parents’ annual income.

Yeah I’ve just loaded up the website on my laptop and I can see the grants for £8,100. The mobile website wouldn’t let me see that 😅
Note also that usually SFE (and I assume SFW) will initially assess you for just the minimum loan amount to ensure you have something in place, and then will continue assessing you for the higher means tested loan amounts (and for SFW, grants by the look of it) and will update your entitlement once they finish that process.

By initially assessing all applicants for the minimum they ensure nobody who applied on time will start uni without anything in place. Then they can just adjust those who are entitled to more and pay out any required disbursements in arrears :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending