The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loans with student accomodation

Hello, I'm quite anxious about this so I am asking to the community. I'm an undergraduate student starting in sept 2023
I applied for maintenance loans (MLs) and I was wondering if that covers my accommodation rent.

I've searched that max MLs for students living away from parents in UK get higher but I saw that i get 3.9k in total, with 1.2k instalments from sept 2023-april2024, can i ask if that is normal? or do i need to contact student finance to ask to provide more as my accomodation is around 6k instalments (as this was the closest and it takes around 1-2 hours to travel from home)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Reply 1
Hey, this sounds very low for maintenance loan! I think when you state you are living away the minimum is about £5000, definitely contact them!
It is means tested, your parents are either wealthy or you have messed up the application.
Reply 3
That is below minimum though

Original post by random_matt
It is means tested, your parents are either wealthy or you have messed up the application.
Reply 4
Original post by Juju20305
Hello, I'm quite anxious about this so I am asking to the community. I'm an undergraduate student starting in sept 2023
I applied for maintenance loans (MLs) and I was wondering if that covers my accommodation rent.

I've searched that max MLs for students living away from parents in UK get higher but I saw that i get 3.9k in total, with 1.2k instalments from sept 2023-april2024, can i ask if that is normal? or do i need to contact student finance to ask to provide more as my accomodation is around 6k instalments (as this was the closest and it takes around 1-2 hours to travel from home)?

If your parents are high earners they are supposed to top up the difference between SFE loan and maximum about 10,000.Did they fill in details about their earnings?Have you checked your account and theirs in case something was not quite right.If your parents are high earners then look up Martin Lewis explaining they need to pay the difference.https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-england-plan-5/#parentalcontribution
Reply 5

Also did you state you were going to live away from home to Sfe?

As above, it sounds like you haven't ticked the 'living away from home' box (as the minimum you should be getting is around £4,600) or asked your parents to create accounts to submit their earnings details. If you are from a low income family, you are entitled to more. If not, your parents are expected to make up the difference between the amount you are awarded and the maximum loan.

Log in to your account and update your application. If you can't see what you need to do, use the live chat function (available during office hours) to talk with an advisor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending