The Student Room Group

Student Accomodation (pls help)

Hi,
I am looking for student accommodation and originally thought i could afford to live on campus, however after working it out my maintenance loan won’t cover the rent.
My boyfriend and I worked out we could share the cost of a studio together (not on campus accomodation) but they want the first instalment in august before we move in, then the rest of the instalments are really close together and quite expensive? Overall both of our maintenance loans would cover the cost, but we don’t get our maintenance loans until the start of each term which doesn’t work with the timing of when they want the rent instalments :frown: is there any way around this or anything i can do? It’s becoming quite stressful and my family are from a low income background and don’t understand the processes so i’m trying to work this out by myself.
Original post by thesanrio
Hi,
I am looking for student accommodation and originally thought i could afford to live on campus, however after working it out my maintenance loan won’t cover the rent.
My boyfriend and I worked out we could share the cost of a studio together (not on campus accomodation) but they want the first instalment in august before we move in, then the rest of the instalments are really close together and quite expensive? Overall both of our maintenance loans would cover the cost, but we don’t get our maintenance loans until the start of each term which doesn’t work with the timing of when they want the rent instalments :frown: is there any way around this or anything i can do? It’s becoming quite stressful and my family are from a low income background and don’t understand the processes so i’m trying to work this out by myself.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to read this. There may be a scheme through your university or student union to help you with emergency payments that I'd suggest looking into. Alternatively, if you had a job that could help you to save and cover the payment, then your loan will reimburse that money -I've had to do this before. I hope that it works out.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by thesanrio
Hi,

How do you know what maintenance loan you will be getting as applications for students finance haven't opened yet?
Original post by normaw
How do you know what maintenance loan you will be getting as applications for students finance haven't opened yet?

Hi there,

This is dependent on household income so you can calculate it depending on that roughly. I hope that makes sense.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending