The Student Room Group

Computer science postgrad from Philosophy?

Hi! I'm currently a 2nd yr student, 20, doing Philosophy+Psychology (BA Hons) at the University of Warwick. I might have to repeat 2nd yr due to mental health reasons forcing me to take pretty much the whole term off, but I am on track to a 1:1 at the moment.

While I'm a Philosophy with Psychology student , I have wanted to go into AI for a very long time - specifically the maths behind AI. This has been my dream for almost a decade now and the reasons why I'm not doing maths/CS ATM are complicated but out of my control. While I do have experience coding and have a fair amount of knowledge on machine learning, I'm sure I'm still behind most CS students. I'm taking Neural Computing and Integrative Neuroscience as extra modules and audited a few maths modules (they wouldn't let me into the actual module) at the moment but obviously it doesn't compare to doing the actual degree. As I want to work for Deepmind someday, I am aware that I will have to do a doctorate, and I honestly would want to even if I don't end up working there.

My plan is to do a conversion into CS through a master's degree. I would like to get my postgrada from a top/very competitive university as that kind of environment suits me best and would align best with my ambitions. The issue is, I'm not sure if many good universities would A) offer a conversion course into CS for someone who has a BA and 0 CS projects to offer (though I have a ML project underway), B) if having taken a year off due to mental health would hurt my chances, C) if I'll have to do a conversion masters at an under-average uni and then an AI/CS masters at a good one, and D) if this will get me into AI/CS doctorate at a great research uni.

I really need help, I'm afraid I'll have to adjust my expectations at this rate and I'm quite anxious about my future. Any guidance would be appreciated!! I'd do basically anything to do what I want to do, I genuinely love my degree and AI/ML/Maths so much.
Boost
Reply 2
The year off shouldn't hurt these days but you will need some projects. A strong formal logic component of the Phil side of your degree might also help, as will a strong showing in the stats side of the psych component.

Usually, rankings wouldn't matter much at postgrad, but CS can be weird so I defer to others more knowledgeable.

You're on track for a I, I:I is not a thing!
Original post by gjd800
The year off shouldn't hurt these days but you will need some projects. A strong formal logic component of the Phil side of your degree might also help, as will a strong showing in the stats side of the psych component.

Usually, rankings wouldn't matter much at postgrad, but CS can be weird so I defer to others more knowledgeable.
You're on track for a I, I:I is not a thing!

Ah, sorry, my university refers to 1st as 1:1 in writing! And I did get a first in Logic last year, took logic metatheory this year but this year the taking-a-year-off thing is looking even more likely (AKA doing year 2 again) but if that does happen hopefully I will do well in the exams next year. Unfortunately my psychology side does not really include anything stats (yes, we've talked to the department about this, it's an issue when it comes to reading papers!) but the CS module is quite maths-heavy so...I'm not sure if that will make up for it. You're right, doing several projects is a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending