The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial computing

Hello, has anyone else been rejected for computing.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1

no, were you?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by tjola7
no, were you?

he did say 'else'
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2
he did say 'else'

yh realised after posting it
Is this for the masters? If so, can you get accepted with a background in philosophy
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #3
Is this for the masters? If so, can you get accepted with a background in philosophy

Huh? I mean theoretically speaking, I think that you can get in with any background provided you show the correct approach and interest for the course in addition to projects and references etc. Also, I think it may depend on university you got the background from or whether you have done any Access to HE courses that will allow you to pursue said Masters course.

I'm an undergrad so I might just be waffling.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1

Don't take it personally....I know LOADS of people at school who have been rejected from Imperial. So far, we have only had 4 applicants (including myself) secure an interview across all their available courses. Two people (including myself) have secured offers for Biological Sciences and CS (me) and the other two are waiting because their applications have been put on hold until the final external UCAS deadline has passed.

I understand that getting rejected from Imperial will be destroying you but you gotta understand that it's an extremely competitive course. I mean they don't let many people in every year, but still the number of applicants are rising. I got rejected from Cambridge so I completely understand what it's like to work for something and then get rejected. Just remember that going to Imperial doesn't confirm success later on in life. True, to some extent, it will facilitate that process but the rest is up to you and your own skills.

Do you have any other offers? I'm sure you will do well at those places. Fuelled by your rejection, you will go far and make sure that they regret the day they rejected you.
Reply 7
Original post by tjola7
no, were you?

It's nice to see a familiar handle. How's your result coming along? Any news from the DoC about your application?
Original post by vnayak
Huh? I mean theoretically speaking, I think that you can get in with any background provided you show the correct approach and interest for the course in addition to projects and references etc. Also, I think it may depend on university you got the background from or whether you have done any Access to HE courses that will allow you to pursue said Masters course.

I'm an undergrad so I might just be waffling.

I’m at Durham, doing the logic modules( y1, the two in y2, and will in y3), philosophy of science, and philosophy of mind, I’ve done four bootcamps?
Why do you respond with “huh”
Reply 9
Original post by Herhehebvehgeh
I’m at Durham, doing the logic modules( y1, the two in y2, and will in y3), philosophy of science, and philosophy of mind, I’ve done four bootcamps?
Why do you respond with “huh”

I've never come across anyone doing pure Philosophy and then going for Computing that's all. Nothing else - I have nothing against you going for it, or anyone else going for it for that matter.
Original post by vnayak
I've never come across anyone doing pure Philosophy and then going for Computing that's all. Nothing else - I have nothing against you going for it, or anyone else going for it for that matter.

I see… do you think it is possible?
Reply 11
Original post by vnayak
It's nice to see a familiar handle. How's your result coming along? Any news from the DoC about your application?

heyyy, same here lol!
no news yet, still waiting for an interview invite ☹️
Reply 12
Original post by tjola7
heyyy, same here lol!

You'll get it in due time...don't worry!
Reply 13
I see… do you think it is possible?

What were your A levels? I think if there is some correlation between A levels and what you want to pursue, you should be OK, but this check is done to a lesser extent. Also, it is very much dependent on your references and the extra stuff you have done to impress. I mean, a few projects and internships here and there to stand out from the crowd ought to help. I think anything is possible but obviously because of the philosophy background, it does put you at somewhat of a disadvantage as there will be people who are applying for your course with Maths or Computing backgrounds.
Original post by vnayak
What were your A levels? I think if there is some correlation between A levels and what you want to pursue, you should be OK, but this check is done to a lesser extent. Also, it is very much dependent on your references and the extra stuff you have done to impress. I mean, a few projects and internships here and there to stand out from the crowd ought to help. I think anything is possible but obviously because of the philosophy background, it does put you at somewhat of a disadvantage as there will be people who are applying for your course with Maths or Computing backgrounds.

Yeah. My a levels were Eng lit, philosophy, and psych…
How would one go about internships and stuff you mentioned?
Reply 15
Yeah. My a levels were Eng lit, philosophy, and psych…
How would one go about internships and stuff you mentioned?

Do you know any people who currently work in IT be it family or friend?? Can you contact some small companies as to whether you can shadow them/do an internship? That sort of thing. I find that LinkedIn is very useful for this sort of thing.
Reply 16
I also recommend virtual experience like theforage.com or springpod.com where you can do virtual work experiences and get certificates. Also, mention online courses you have completed.
Reply 17
Original post by tjola7
heyyy, same here lol!

same lol, have you got one yet? really stressing me out now.
Reply 18
Original post by u3mqarty
same lol, have you got one yet? really stressing me out now.

no still haven't - this is my second account btw
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending