The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Economics A Paper 1 (9ECO 01) - 18 May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Econboss2023
If anyone wants neat completed notes on any spec point or part of the course let me know

Please could I have some
Reply 41
What topics

All of paper 3 content pls
Reply 42
How do u want me to send them, whats ur email

I sent a Pm to u
Reply 43

Original post by supersundy
All of paper 3 content pls

Could I get this too?
could they ask a 25 marker on perfect comp/monopolistic competition.
Reply 45
Original post by boneappleteeth

i think so i saw one in class about monopolistic competition and efficiencies
Reply 46

could i also get paper 3 content too?
Hmm, this list seems to cover most topics . Surely if we do all of these we should be fairly secure
Original post by JamesClark19
I’m going to give u guys 10 questions from predicted papers I found. Brainstorm ur ideas here if you’d like?

1) Maximum prices are used by governments to correct market failures, often because the outcomes of particular markets are considered unfair. For example, in the UK the government already caps the price of household energy (gas and electricity) and water in a bid to ensure they are affordable. Campaigners have also suggested that they should consider a price ceiling for rented accommodation on the pay of highly paid workers such as chief executives.
Evaluate the effects of the implementation of price caps. Illustrate your answer with reference to markets of your own choice.
(Total for Question = 25 marks)

2) Should resources be allocated by market forces or through government planning or in a command economy? Some economies which were once
planned, such as China, are now much more market orientated. However, economies which are still largely planned, such as Cuba, still exist.
Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of free market economies. Illustrate your answer with reference to examples of your own choice.

3) Governments have a range of tools for correcting market failure, including taxes, subsidies, direct state provision of services, regulation, the provision of information. However, there is not guarantee that intervening will always make things better and it is important to be mindful of the possibility of government failure.
Evaluate the causes of government failure when governments intervene in markets. Refer to interventions and or markets of your choice in your answer.

4) Economists often argue that markets work well, as scare resources are allocated to the uses in which they generate the most utility. One example of market failure occurs in the labour market and is seen in the immobility of labour between different regions and in different occupations. As well as
failure in the labour market itself, the immobility of labour can make it difficult for firms to respond to changes in consumer demand in product markets, this too causing market failure.
Evaluate the market failures associated with labour immobility. Illustrate your answer with examples of your own choice.

5) There is a shortage of medical staff in the UK. England for example has 28 doctors for every 10,000 people. In similar EU countries, there are 37 doctors per 10,000 people. The UK Government is considering expanding the list of shortage occupations to make it easier for doctors to enter and work in the United Kingdom. Evaluate possible solutions to a shortage of workers in an industry of your choice.
(25 marks)

6) With high inflation, some governments are resorting to price caps. This includes
a price cap on energy in the UK, with the difference between the price cap and
wholesale prices paid through government borrowing. Other European economies
have implemented similar schemes to cap oil and gas prices.
Evaluate the consequences of maximum prices. Refer to an industry or industries
of your choice. (25 marks)

7) The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has found cases of collusion in the construction industry, but states that difficult market conditions are no excuse to break competition law.The CMA, in 2020, fined Vp and MGF over £15 million for
“sharing confidential information relating to current and future pricing and co-ordinating their commercial activities to reduce strategic uncertainty”. Evaluate the effects of collusion on firms and consumers (25 marks)

8) The UK has faced a series of strikes, including among nurses, doctors, railway
workers and postal workers. As a response to this, the UK Government has
promised to tighten legislation around trade union activities. The Trade Union Act
of 2016 required at least 50% of trade union members to vote in any strike ballot,
for a strike vote to be valid. Further restrictions to be introduced could include
requiring minimum levels of service for certain sectors while strikes are ongoing or
even banning strikes outright.
Discuss the microeconomic impacts of tighter restrictions on trade union activity.
Refer to an industry of your choice.

9) Several technology companies including Uber, Spotify and AirBnB have pursued
the so-called “blitzscaling” business model, focusing initially on maximising sales
and market share while making little in the way of profits. At the same time, more
firms are making environmental, social and governance (ESG) objectives a key part
of their business goals, with over 30% of firms including ESG measures in their key
performance indicators in 2021.
Evaluate the advantages for firms of pursuing objectives that are not profit maximisation. Refer to an industry or industries of your choice (25 marks).

10) Since leaving the European Union, the UK Government has replaced the EU Emissions Trading Scheme with the UK Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS).. This covers power generation, industry and aviation, though some sectors do receive free permits. For the UK firms that participated in the EU ETS before the UK left the
EU, pollution fell from 236 million tonnes per CO2 equivalent to just under 130 million tonnes per CO2 equivalent. Evaluate the effectiveness of tradable pollution permits in improving welfare (25
marks).
Reply 48

i think perfect could be asked not sure about monopolistic its abit of a generic structure
Reply 49
Original post by Alizeh1
If you send me your email I will send the examiners report as I am unable to upload in on student room for some reason. I also have the mark scheme if anyone is interested. Sorry about the inconvenience

could you send it to me as well
Reply 50
Original post by AllnighterLegend
Econ plus dal has recently released predicted vids on what he thinks could come which has been useful to look at in more depth

does anyone know how accurate his vid is likely to be
Reply 51
If anyone wants neat completed notes on any spec point or part of the course let me know

could i get some notes for the financial sector
Reply 52

thats what econplusdal predicted...
Reply 53
Original post by m184
where did you find these?

yo where did you get these from
Reply 54
Original post by Alizeh1
If you send me your email I will send the examiners report as I am unable to upload in on student room for some reason. I also have the mark scheme if anyone is interested. Sorry about the inconvenience

Can I have the mark scheme and report please?
Reply 55
Original post by Yas101101
Can I have the mark scheme and report please?

Yes you can, please send me your email address
Reply 56

Could I please have notes for all the topics if possible
Reply 57

Hello could you please message me so I can send you my email directly as I would love some neat notes, Thanks!
Reply 58
Original post by Alizeh1
Could I please have notes for all the topics if possible

I have sent you my email address, was wondering if you could send the examiner report there, Thanks!
Reply 59
What do you guys think the grade boundaries r gonna be like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending