The Student Room Group

Diagnosed with lymphoma

Apologies if this is the wrong section. I am new to the website. After a couple of months of ongoing health issues, I underwent a mediastinoscopy on the 30th of March. On Friday, I got called back to the hospital to go over the results, and it turned out to be Hodgkin's lymphoma. I don't know what stage it is, as they'll have to do a full-body PET scan to determine that.
I am worried about how this might affect my studies. I am a 2nd year Economics student, and I've got several assignments due next month, as well as exams coming up at the end of May/beginning of June. Initially, I wanted to take temporary leave back in February due to my ongoing health issues, but I decided against it (which looks to have been the wrong choice in the end).
If anyone's been through a similar experience, or if you've just got some advice to offer regarding my situation, I'd really appreciate it.
Im no help but Praying all the best for you. My mum got diagnosed with lymphoma cancer too but she beat it after chemo! U can do it!!
Reply 2
Speak to student support as a matter of priority. Your health is far more important than muddling on through a degree programme and there are professionals at your university who can guide you through realistic and achievable options. Very best of luck - I am rooting for you.
I am sure you would have a case for interrupting study more or less immediately (if that's what you want to do), which would mean that you would not have to sit those exams or complete those pieces of coursework. Irrespective of what those upcoming medical tests show, you are experienceing one of the most frightening things out there. Don't underestimate it and take the necssary steps to protect yourself. As @gjd800 has said, contact student support and I would add your personal tutor straight away.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, I would advise talking to student support as others have said, they should definitely be able to help you out with what to do next, and I’m sure given the circumstances you could definitely arrange to have your studies temporarily paused (if that’s what you feel is right for you). There will be dedicated university staff to provide support to students in unforeseen circumstances, so don’t worry about that, it’s their job to help you out as much as possible, so just focus on getting better and taking things easy. You’ll be in my prayers, God bless and good luck.
Reply 5
@gjd800 is 100% right. Forget trying to muddle through assignments and exams!! Get in contact with your student support team and then concentrate on your health. Nothing else matters !!
Reply 6
Hey, how are you doing now a month on?

I am 3rd year psych student, been having health issues for about 1.5 months trying to get to the bottom of them...and just got diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma on Tuesday..I have my PET scan on the 1st to determine the stage.

Just took extensions for my dissertation and coursework so I have a week or 2 to power through because I decided I just want to get it over and done with asap before treatment starts, I was told thats when symptoms get worse..and I would hate to delay and delay it and have that stress additionally looming over my head.

You being second year I'd advise you try come back into study after summer in October but if not defer by a year maybe, it depends on how long the treatment plan is going to be?

Wish you all the best, and here if you want to message!
Reply 7
Original post by natalia09
Hey, how are you doing now a month on?

I am 3rd year psych student, been having health issues for about 1.5 months trying to get to the bottom of them...and just got diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma on Tuesday..I have my PET scan on the 1st to determine the stage.

Just took extensions for my dissertation and coursework so I have a week or 2 to power through because I decided I just want to get it over and done with asap before treatment starts, I was told thats when symptoms get worse..and I would hate to delay and delay it and have that stress additionally looming over my head.

You being second year I'd advise you try come back into study after summer in October but if not defer by a year maybe, it depends on how long the treatment plan is going to be?

Wish you all the best, and here if you want to message!

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. The PET scan unfortunately showed that my cancer had spread to my lungs and spleen, meaning that it had reached stage 4. I started chemo on the 10th of May, and they put me on pretty much the strongest treatment course (escalated BEACOPDac). The treatment is expected to be 6 cycles in total, and each cycle is 21 days long. Ultimately, I decided to take a year out and do my exams next summer. I was a wreck mentally and physically after I got the PET scan results and before I started treatment.
The side effects are pretty rough. I got nausea in the days following chemo, so I found it difficult to eat. I'm also tired most days, and my hair started falling out in clumps at the end of week 2 of treatment. I also need to do G CSF injections to boost my blood counts. The injections themselves aren't too painful, but on day 6 of doing them I got some pretty bad bone pain, but that is pretty common from what I've read, it's just a side effect of the injections doing their job.
It is definitely a rough fight, but I know that it is also a winnable one. On the bright side, the symptoms I had from the lymphoma itself (night sweats, fever, severe abdominal pain that woke me up at night) have disappeared. I can actually get a comfortable full night's sleep now, which is nice for a change. The staff at the hospital where I'm having treatment have also been extremely friendly and supportive, they've honestly been the ones who kept my morale up despite the side effects I experienced.

Regardless of what the PET scan shows, you can remain confident knowing that the cancer is treatable at any stage - even at stage 4, it has a very high cure rate, even though the treatment sucks.

PS - I tried to message you, but unfortunately the website did not let me as my account is still new. You might have more luck messaging me though, so I'm here if you've got any questions or worries regarding treatment.
Reply 8
Original post by equinox522
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. The PET scan unfortunately showed that my cancer had spread to my lungs and spleen, meaning that it had reached stage 4. I started chemo on the 10th of May, and they put me on pretty much the strongest treatment course (escalated BEACOPDac). The treatment is expected to be 6 cycles in total, and each cycle is 21 days long. Ultimately, I decided to take a year out and do my exams next summer. I was a wreck mentally and physically after I got the PET scan results and before I started treatment.
The side effects are pretty rough. I got nausea in the days following chemo, so I found it difficult to eat. I'm also tired most days, and my hair started falling out in clumps at the end of week 2 of treatment. I also need to do G CSF injections to boost my blood counts. The injections themselves aren't too painful, but on day 6 of doing them I got some pretty bad bone pain, but that is pretty common from what I've read, it's just a side effect of the injections doing their job.
It is definitely a rough fight, but I know that it is also a winnable one. On the bright side, the symptoms I had from the lymphoma itself (night sweats, fever, severe abdominal pain that woke me up at night) have disappeared. I can actually get a comfortable full night's sleep now, which is nice for a change. The staff at the hospital where I'm having treatment have also been extremely friendly and supportive, they've honestly been the ones who kept my morale up despite the side effects I experienced.

Regardless of what the PET scan shows, you can remain confident knowing that the cancer is treatable at any stage - even at stage 4, it has a very high cure rate, even though the treatment sucks.

PS - I tried to message you, but unfortunately the website did not let me as my account is still new. You might have more luck messaging me though, so I'm here if you've got any questions or worries regarding treatment.

Wishing you all the best.Don’t ever forget that you are stronger than you think and that we are all routing for you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending