The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

how mcuh do you guys typically spend on each question?
Reply 61
Original post by Logiso
keep practicing diagrams aswell , diagrams are usually marks

say we use very basic and vague diagrams in our essays e.g 25 markers, how many marks would we be capped at?
Original post by zzhh11
say we use very basic and vague diagrams in our essays e.g 25 markers, how many marks would we be capped at?

That's not really how it works, nothing to do with how complex a diagram is. It's about using the appropriate ones.
Original post by Llawyer123
That's not really how it works, nothing to do with how complex a diagram is. It's about using the appropriate ones.

Tbh I don't even remember getting "marks" for drawing the diagrams alone, they just need to be in there and you needed to be able to analyse them (along with using any diagrams relevant to the question) and link that analysis back to the question I think.

I could be wrong though but I don't think it's a simple case of "ah yes this an externalities question, let me simply draw the 4 graphs to do with externalities and the examiner will give me marks for doing so even if I didn't bother to do any analysis with them".

Someone with better knowledge in Economics correct me if I'm wrong here.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
Tbh I don't even remember getting "marks" for drawing the diagrams alone, they just need to be in there and you needed to be able to analyse them (along with using any diagrams relevant to the question) and that analysis back to the question I think.

I could be wrong though but I don't think it's a simple case of "ah yes this an externalities question, let me simply draw the 4 graphs to do with externalities and the examiner will give me marks for doing though".

Someone with better knowledge in Economics correct me if I'm wrong here.

Yep you're right, no individual marks for just the diagram, need to use it in your analysis. Although I think in the old spec they allocated marks for the diagram,as long as you wrote something abt the diagram.
Yep you're right, no individual marks for just the diagram, need to use it in your analysis. Although I think in the old spec they allocated marks for the diagram,as long as you wrote something abt the diagram.
Not sure whether that's just an AQA A-level Economics thing or an Economics thing in general though.
Reply 66
anyone have a model answer for the 4 marker ?

I struggle with answering at and finding a good balance between enough economics and data
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by HELPBISH

Do you mean model structure? It's just picking a couple data points accurately then answering the q using it. 4 mins max
Reply 68
Do you mean model structure? It's just picking a couple data points accurately then answering the q using it. 4 mins max

no just a model answer so I can roughly compare to what I write because do you take a holistic approach with the data and then individual or what?
Original post by HELPBISH

I struggle with answering at and finding a good balance between enough economics and data

Try to use at least 1 piece of data in every sentence. I usually just answer the question and use the data to support it - use percentage differences/ changes to make your answer better too. Then kinda just explain your point a bit with other bits of data
People are saying market failure

ur in trouble if you think that market structures = market failure
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by memeister27

Original post by memeister27

I didn't say market structure=market failure. They are linked, the question was what in market structures could come up. If its a monopoly market strucure it could be about it's neg ext. Obviously they are 2 diff topics but they are almost always linked.
Does anyone know how exactly nationalisation leads to economies of scale? What types of economies of scale do nationalised companies benefit from???
Also, for the 25 markers, how many main points (paragraphs) are we writing? I've been told by my teacher that 2 really developed points (evaluation included) and a strong conclusion is enough to gain high marks. But idk if I should do 3...
Original post by Half human
Also, for the 25 markers, how many main points (paragraphs) are we writing? I've been told by my teacher that 2 really developed points (evaluation included) and a strong conclusion is enough to gain high marks. But idk if I should do 3...

If your teacher says 2 then it's 2. She obviously knows what she's doing. But it's 4 if its multi policy
If your teacher says 2 then it's 2. She obviously knows what she's doing. But it's 4 if its multi policy

FOUR paragraphs for a 25 marker with EVALUATION in each?! There goes my grade!
FOUR paragraphs for a 25 marker with EVALUATION in each?! There goes my grade!

Yeah, only if its multi policy, cos you gotta do on the one hand and on the other hand for each policy.

I think i've been told 2 for, 2 against (or 3 for, 1 against/3 against 1 for) then a short conclusion back when i did this subject and exam board. I don't know economics that well though, @Llawyer123 might know more.
Reply 78

it depends if you can plan 3 really good points with a lot of analysis and evaluation go ahead but yh you can be fine with 2
Reply 79
how do you lot structure your 4 markers?

Latest

Trending

Trending