The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Economics Paper 2 (7136/2) -22th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ritz19
This was 2021

my bad, i thought 2021 didnt have exams ? or did they release paper for teachers to use ?
Original post by Half human
Can an increase in a country's national debt cause a depreciation in its currency? Because foreign investors will be less confident in the country's ability to pay back its debts, causing them to sell the currency.

As far as im aware no> Its more that an increase in national debt increases interest rates because investors demand higher interest rates due to higher risk associated about ability to repay, however, in the context of UK this is highly unlikely because it is a stable govenrment
Original post by pk027
my bad, i thought 2021 didnt have exams ? or did they release paper for teachers to use ?

They had resits
Original post by ^MISSF^
Anyone know the difference between supply side policies and supply side improvements?

Same thing basically - supply side policies are implemented to improve the supply side - so spending on eduction leads to supply side improvements due to an increase in quality of human capital
Reply 24
Original post by lushlife889
Same thing basically - supply side policies are implemented to improve the supply side - so spending on eduction leads to supply side improvements due to an increase in quality of human capital

Great, thankyou :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Tomorii
Does anyone know what topics came in 2022 economics paper 2?

pretty sure its acc 2022 this time lol
context 1 : foreign direct investment causing more exports and policies for getting FDI to improve living standards
context 2 : reduction in tariffs reduces inflation and if low inflation should be the main objective
essay 1: how changing expenditure can reduce a defict, floating vs free exchange rates
essay 2 : problems w large postive output gap and supply side and interventionist policlies
essay 3 : exports change in value reasons and international trade is good
Original post by lushlife889
As far as im aware no> Its more that an increase in national debt increases interest rates because investors demand higher interest rates due to higher risk associated about ability to repay, however, in the context of UK this is highly unlikely because it is a stable govenrment

Oh ok, if so then what exactly was the cause of the depreciation of the Icelandic Krona between 2008-11? Wasn't it excessive national debt causing a fall in confidence? Correct me if I'm wrong
Reply 27
Original post by ^MISSF^
Anyone know the difference between supply side policies and supply side improvements?

Don't take my word for it, however I do think that supply-side improvements are just the effects of the supply-side policies, or potentially what firms can do themselves in order to boost their supply of goods and services.
supply side policies are the use of polices market based or interventionist polices to increase the maximum potential capacity basically economic growth, I believe supply side improvements is just the use of these supply side policies.

Hope this helps!

Original post by ^MISSF^
Reply 29
Anyone know what topics might be coming up for the essay questions?
when talking about increased importing due to the appreciation of a currency can u reference the purchasing power of the currency increasing against others or is that you can only reference purchasing power when talking about inflation/deflation. Might be a stupid question but dont want to be penalised in the exam.
Original post by Half human
Oh ok, if so then what exactly was the cause of the depreciation of the Icelandic Krona between 2008-11? Wasn't it excessive national debt causing a fall in confidence? Correct me if I'm wrong

I mean yes fair point cause it led to deflation which leads depreciation -
Reply 32
Original post by puveet
Don't take my word for it, however I do think that supply-side improvements are just the effects of the supply-side policies, or potentially what firms can do themselves in order to boost their supply of goods and services.

oh ok that makes sense
Reply 33
Original post by umar_.yahya
supply side policies are the use of polices market based or interventionist polices to increase the maximum potential capacity basically economic growth, I believe supply side improvements is just the use of these supply side policies.

Hope this helps!

Thankyou and yeah that makes sense
Reply 34
Does anyone understand how quantitative easing is used as monetary policy to boost aggregate demand?
Reply 35
Thank you so much!! 🫶

Original post by pk027
pretty sure its acc 2022 this time lol
context 1 : foreign direct investment causing more exports and policies for getting FDI to improve living standards
context 2 : reduction in tariffs reduces inflation and if low inflation should be the main objective
essay 1: how changing expenditure can reduce a defict, floating vs free exchange rates
essay 2 : problems w large postive output gap and supply side and interventionist policlies
essay 3 : exports change in value reasons and international trade is good
Reply 36
does anyone have any ideas for topics that might come up? my teacher suggested globalisation, and as exchange rates came up last year im thinking they might not this time?
Original post by ^MISSF^
Does anyone understand how quantitative easing is used as monetary policy to boost aggregate demand?

Increases banks willingness to lend due to increased liquidity - usually used when interest rates are very low but banks are unwilling to lend due to increased risk and still don't stimulate spending (liquidity trap) so QE is used to encourage banks to lend - boosting investment, spending etc. - also reduces long term interest rates
Reply 38
Original post by molly123xx
does anyone have any ideas for topics that might come up? my teacher suggested globalisation, and as exchange rates came up last year im thinking they might not this time?

I think monetary and fiscal policy are very likely to come up this year. the pros and cons of economic growth, inflation and unemployment and maybe some protectionism questions
Original post by xo.lizziee
what are the chances of quantitive easing coming up .... really don't wanna see that

fairly high i'd say
but it'd come in the form of monetary policy
if you don't know it by now i'd recommend picking the other questions if it comes up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending