The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by juicygcse
No, it's locked at the same percentage of people getting each grade.

Let's say 5% of people got A* in 2019. Then only 5% of people this year will get A* grades. But if the papers were easy this year (which in general they were), then the grade boundaries could still be higher than in 2019

68% was an A 2019
what you reckon itll be this year??

is there any chance it stays 68%?????
Reply 301
Hello buds, highest score its ever been is 167 for an A in 2017 - imo those papers were slightly easier mainly because of the much easier MCQs, as well as generally slightly better for answering - therefore, we can expect no chance of being higher than 167 - I would say most likely in the 164-167 region for the mark
Reply 302
do u reckon they'll inflate A*'s or limit it?
Reply 303
I did a postive production externality graph for my micro 25 and talk about the underprovision of merit goods ( I.e education) is this alright or was I better off doing a positive consumption diagram?
Original post by jarrodbowen
68% was an A 2019
what you reckon itll be this year??

is there any chance it stays 68%?????

I think they'll probably stay somewhat similar to 2019 - the grade boundaries never change that drastically for essay based subjects anyway. Maybe a couple of marks higher, but like someone else said probably in the 164-167 range for an A roughly, leaning more towards the 166-165 range in my opinion personally. Having said that, there is no way to know for sure until results day and there is no point now stressing over it as the econ exams are finished. Just focus now on doing well in whatever exams left and then in 2-3 weeks time you will have the whole summer ahead of you to enjoy
Reply 305
Have I messed up my 25 marker?

Point 1: They shouldn't cut spending as if they continue on with their expansionary fiscal policy there will be a multiplier and the gov can pay back debts through increased tax rev, growth etc etc.
Eval: The problem with expansionary fiscal policy is that there may be crowding out thus pushing interest rates higher and staving off private-sector investment

Point 2: They still shouldn't cut spending as many Sri Lankans rely on state aid and thus cutting it will result in higher unemployment, negative externalities, relative and absolute poverty etc which may make debts worse.
Eval: Not cutting it however may be worse as it results in higher inflation, thus increasing poverty and the aforementioned effects whilst not benefitting the gov in any way as they are essentially wasting money

Conc: Gov should not cut spending as it will lead to a positive multiplier and may result in crowding in instead, whilst also making sure more money isn't wasted on extra police etc all serving to pay off debts
Reply 306
Original post by ariya1212
Have I messed up my 25 marker?

Point 1: They shouldn't cut spending as if they continue on with their expansionary fiscal policy there will be a multiplier and the gov can pay back debts through increased tax rev, growth etc etc.
Eval: The problem with expansionary fiscal policy is that there may be crowding out thus pushing interest rates higher and staving off private-sector investment

Point 2: They still shouldn't cut spending as many Sri Lankans rely on state aid and thus cutting it will result in higher unemployment, negative externalities, relative and absolute poverty etc which may make debts worse.
Eval: Not cutting it however may be worse as it results in higher inflation, thus increasing poverty and the aforementioned effects whilst not benefitting the gov in any way as they are essentially wasting money

Conc: Gov should not cut spending as it will lead to a positive multiplier and may result in crowding in instead, whilst also making sure more money isn't wasted on extra police etc all serving to pay off debts

this is what i wrote but forgot to add technical terms like multiplier and crowding out and externalities like you have
hopefully its made up for in the mcqs which im fairly happy about and paper 2 which was decent
i only need a C :frown:
Hello guys,
I don’t remember if I drew a diagram for the 25 markers so what do you think that max mark I could get if there was no diagram?
Original post by Anomalous456768
Hello guys,
I don’t remember if I drew a diagram for the 25 markers so what do you think that max mark I could get if there was no diagram?

25 - you dont need a diagram but it helps a lot
Original post by lushlife889
25 - you dont need a diagram but it helps a lot

Not including a diagram limits the number of marks available. Not sure on the extent but it is expected. That being said, you don't need to include a graph to demonstrate every single point ofc.
Original post by sfsedfsfsd
Not including a diagram limits the number of marks available. Not sure on the extent but it is expected. That being said, you don't need to include a graph to demonstrate every single point ofc.

No it actually does not, I thought so but it doesn't - my teacher showed us an exemplar of a student who got an A* last year and they didn't use any diagrams, even for a market structures one and still got 21/25 which is solid - u can still gain analysis marks without a diagram - but it certainly will help - adding a diagram may get u a few more marks like maybe 17 instead of 15 but not having one wont take away from it you get me?
Reply 311
Valid points made however you really should have said why there is a need of decreasing expenditure(show both sides of the argument). However, crowding in is highly unlikely as inflation is really high, major tourism sectors are suffering post covid causing confidence to be low and a rapidly depreciating exchange rate making it more expensive to import. I have posted what I wrote too if you wanna have a read :smile:
Reply 312
Original post by spunting
seems fair but ill pay everyone here £1000 if its above 2019 - couldn't be more sure

What were the 2019 grade boundaries? 😬
Reply 313
Original post by hrr1
What were the 2019 grade boundaries? 😬

68 percent for an A 80 for an A* I think
if anyone looking at this next year I thought I flopped p1 and got a B overall , got an A* and one of the highest marks in country . Don’t believe a lot of these idiots on here making their own mark schemes up trying to stress you out .
Reply 315
Original post by rachelb561
if anyone looking at this next year I thought I flopped p1 and got a B overall , got an A* and one of the highest marks in country . Don’t believe a lot of these idiots on here making their own mark schemes up trying to stress you out .

This **** is so true. This forum had me thinkin i bombed paper 2, and then i got 79/80 on it.
Original post by Toby1803
This **** is so true. This forum had me thinkin i bombed paper 2, and then i got 79/80 on it.

hahah exactly same , everyone after p1 was talking about how your strat of how to solve pollution or something had to be sound compared to the extract . I think I gave some of the worst and got 74/80 . I think economics a* was way to easy this year

Latest

Trending

Trending