The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE English Language Paper 1 (1EN0 01) - 5th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your Edexcel GCSE English Language Paper 1 exam go?

Edexcel GCSE English Language Paper 1 (1EN0 01) - Monday 5th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.
Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: Mon 5 Jun 2023/ AM
Length: 1h 45m

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone have any suggestions of how to split the time in this paper?
Reply 2
I started writing this creative writing from a prompt about a child in a playground attempting to make new friends.

Lunchtime. 1pm. A torrent of rain mercilessly spat and infiltrated through my shoes as I tapped my foot anxiously, an uncontrolled rhythm which accompanied the crescendoing drum of my heart. My feet made ripples in the water, slow pulses which extended towards the other side of the concrete playground, yet were lost after a few metres.

I was alone.

Yet as the first bell chimed sonorously, the first sounds of laughter and joy echoed around the playground, a euphonic symphony of delight and satisfaction. The unknown faces appeared in bubbles, circles of warmth and comfort which provided solace against the bitter rainfall. I sat on a lone bench on the outskirts of companionship. My fingers clenched and released the handle of my lunchbox repeatedly, with the metal hinge rattling against my touch uncontrollably.

I had to approach someone, or else I would forever be ostracised, labelled an outsider, utterly excluded from friendship.

Any advice on how to improve would be extremely helpful; I'm predicted a grade 9 in english language but I feel that creative writing is definitely my weak point. Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by greenthing

my teacher suggested spend around 2 minutes on q1 and 2, 15 minutes on q3, 40 mins on q4, and the remaining time on the creative writing
Reply 4

I'm following this too

my teacher suggested:
1) 2 minutes
2) 5 minutes
3) 15 minutes
4) 25 minutes
5) 45 minutes
Does anyone have any tips when it comes to describing charcters for imaginative writing?
Also, if anyone needs any help about answering the differnt question, I can help :smile:
Reply 7
I need tips to describe my characters in Q 5 too please
the paper was so good how did everyone find it
Reply 9
I couldn't manage time very well and missed question 2 fully🥺
Hi guys, im a teacher, what extract came up?
Reply 11
It was about a guy called Pi and animals
Original post by Roseannefinn

The Dream Woman written by Wilkie Collins. It was from page 11 beginning with "Arriving at the Town" and ending with "His eyes open suddenly".

The questions were:

3) How is the experiences of Mrs Fairbanks and Percy Fairbanks presented.

4) How is a sense of mystery presented.
Reply 13
(Original post by Roseannefinn)Hi guys, im a teacher, what extract came up?

for edexcel igcse it was A passage to Africa
Reply 14
Original post by emilyworrell
the paper was so good how did everyone find it

it was not bad right? i found lots of language devices but everyone seemed to have struggled with that
Reply 15
for aqa it was an extract from the novel life of pi it was mostly about a hyena and how it was behaving wildly

Original post by Roseannefinn
Reply 16
for the igcse paper what did people write about for the transactional? I wasnt sure whether to write about all three (people,places and things) or just focus on one...
Reply 17
It was about one thing. "People, places OR things". I wrote an article loosely based on my old basketball team
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by safk4275
for aqa it was an extract from the novel life of pi it was mostly about a hyena and how it was behaving wildly

do you know what the question 5 was on paper 1 edexcel
Reply 19
Original post by Alalalalalalala
The Dream Woman written by Wilkie Collins. It was from page 11 beginning with "Arriving at the Town" and ending with "His eyes open suddenly".

The questions were:

3) How is the experiences of Mrs Fairbanks and Percy Fairbanks presented.

4) How is a sense of mystery presented.

what question 5 for edexcel paper 1 came up ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending