The Student Room Group

Urgent OCR Chemistry Help

I started teaching myself chemistry in January while getting ready to re-sit some of my other subjects. So I have a rough foundation by now but I am not at all confident that I'll get the B that I need.
I have this weekend to cram and I'm just not sure what I can focus on to get the most marks etc. Any tips on what to prioritise, or how to structure my revision would really help! Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by jh324812
I started teaching myself chemistry in January while getting ready to re-sit some of my other subjects. So I have a rough foundation by now but I am not at all confident that I'll get the B that I need.
I have this weekend to cram and I'm just not sure what I can focus on to get the most marks etc. Any tips on what to prioritise, or how to structure my revision would really help! Thanks in advance.

Everything is important, but I guess here are some things you could probably revise quickly and still achieve full/high marks on those questions:

-Acids/bases/pH essentially just learning a few simple equations, a buffer question could easily reach 5 or 6 marks and all you need to know is the weak acid equation really
-Electrode potentials, some of this topic is quite challenging but you could easily go over how to draw a cell and these are 3 mark questions just for essentially drawing what you've already seen, and also calculating cell potentials is basically free marks
-Transition metals, if you remember the colours this can get you a lot of marks, I can't remember what paper but there's one with a 4 or 5 marker for essentially just naming compounds from knowing the colours. Also drawing complex ions isn't too challenging or hard to remember but can get you a few marks
-Kc/Kp again very simple equations but most years there's a 4 or 5 mark question on it that you should be able to get down in a weekend

As I said though everything is important, maybe tonight do a past paper that way you know what topics to do over the weekend. Don't stress it if you don't get a B in it because even with just a couple days you can easily go up a couple grades

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lukeb44
Everything is important, but I guess here are some things you could probably revise quickly and still achieve full/high marks on those questions:

-Acids/bases/pH essentially just learning a few simple equations, a buffer question could easily reach 5 or 6 marks and all you need to know is the weak acid equation really
-Electrode potentials, some of this topic is quite challenging but you could easily go over how to draw a cell and these are 3 mark questions just for essentially drawing what you've already seen, and also calculating cell potentials is basically free marks
-Transition metals, if you remember the colours this can get you a lot of marks, I can't remember what paper but there's one with a 4 or 5 marker for essentially just naming compounds from knowing the colours. Also drawing complex ions isn't too challenging or hard to remember but can get you a few marks
-Kc/Kp again very simple equations but most years there's a 4 or 5 mark question on it that you should be able to get down in a weekend

As I said though everything is important, maybe tonight do a past paper that way you know what topics to do over the weekend. Don't stress it if you don't get a B in it because even with just a couple days you can easily go up a couple grades

Best of luck :smile:

Thanks very much, really appreciate it!
Reply 3
Original post by jh324812
Thanks very much, really appreciate it!

you're most welcome! good luck for monday :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest