The Student Room Group

What help can I get from DSA?

I’m applying for DSA that I know I will get as I have a few conditions including mental health and long term health conditions and I am in receipt of PIP. But what can I get?

Im looking to get help with a formal diagnosis for Autism and Dyslexia, could I have this through DSA?

I require consistent exercise to help moderate my physical conditions, will DSA pay for gym membership etc?

I know a lot of the support they give is based around funding for laptops, taxi/public transport support, note takers and special equipment, but is there anything else that I could ask for support from?

Thanks!!
Reply 1
They will only provide things that are specifically necessary for you when studying and that are over and above what anyone else without a handicap would require, so things like your gym membership which would be required whether you are studying or not would not normally be covered. Similarly you get software to help you study if you have dyslexia, because you have a diagnosis, so they are unlikely to pay for the diagnosis. For anything to do with your MH issues, it’s probably something you should talk about with the uni disability service rather than DSA because I’m not sure how software etc would help you although maybe someone else might know more on this topic.
For the gym membership no they won't pay for this and this is what part if the pip money would be used for according to government guidelines even though it is totally up to you what you use it for
However saying this most if not all unis have free student gyms that you would be able to use so wouldn't need a private one
For helping with the assessments I've heard they've been able to help with dyselixa and I'm pretty sure they pay for it but they don't do anything for asd
Some unis offer support for asd if you have a referral from a doctor as they have shorter NHS times depending where you go.
I don't have a physical disability so don't know about the support for that but I'm autistic and have diagnosed mental health conditions and you can get a mental health mentor to help and lots of software. You won't get any autistic specific support but from other uni people the only difference in software between asd and mental health is I get a study skills tutor. I would send evidence to the specific uni as they also provide support
Hope this helps
Original post by Euapp
They will only provide things that are specifically necessary for you when studying and that are over and above what anyone else without a handicap would require, so things like your gym membership which would be required whether you are studying or not would not normally be covered. Similarly you get software to help you study if you have dyslexia, because you have a diagnosis, so they are unlikely to pay for the diagnosis. For anything to do with your MH issues, it’s probably something you should talk about with the uni disability service rather than DSA because I’m not sure how software etc would help you although maybe someone else might know more on this topic.

For mental health software they give things like recording lectures so if you have a panic attack then you don't miss content, they also give you things to help you stay organised and a really good app to support with mental health

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending