The Student Room Group

Disabled Students Allowance when Undiagnosed?

Hello,

So, after speaking to the autism advisor at my firm university choice, she recommended that I apply for DSA on account of having ASD.

However, I am currently on the waiting list for assessment, which means any evidence I have is scant and only refers to the assessment, which doesn’t feel enough.

Does anyone have guidance for if I could do anything at all?
If you have evidence of other issues (like anxiety etc which is actually ASD) you might be okay.

However, I applied first time while on the waiting list and got this:

"Saskia went on to advise me that she has been put on the waiting list to have an autistic spectrum disorder test. This can take up to 2 years on a waiting list. Any learning difficulties associated with autism have not been included in this report."
Original post by saskiahdltea
If you have evidence of other issues (like anxiety etc which is actually ASD) you might be okay.

However, I applied first time while on the waiting list and got this:

"Saskia went on to advise me that she has been put on the waiting list to have an autistic spectrum disorder test. This can take up to 2 years on a waiting list. Any learning difficulties associated with autism have not been included in this report."

Thank you for your reply :smile:

Autism is the only thing that is really going on with me, so that probably puts a damper on DSA (which I don’t think I *need* particularly, it’s just nice to have the option) :biggrin:
Hi there! I’m in a similar situation to you at the moment but one thing I can think of is asking your old college/school to provide you with a report about struggles you had in education. When I first got put on the waiting list for assessment, my school gave me a report which described some of the things I struggled with at school. It wasn’t super in depth and only had about 4 or 5 bullet points of things I did on it but it’s allowed me to somehow get a DSA needs assessment and other accommodations from places. I know you’ve already left school but if you have the email of an old teacher (my head of house wrote mine), then email them and see if they can help you out.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by blue_dalmatian
Thank you for your reply :smile:

Autism is the only thing that is really going on with me, so that probably puts a damper on DSA (which I don’t think I *need* particularly, it’s just nice to have the option) :biggrin:

DSA is quite a game-changer for those that need it, and affects myriad of things. Funding (various ways), course type exemptions, dedicated uni student support, study support agent, access to equipment and software, RAP, exam adjustments, staff interaction.... DSA is a big deal and not to be underestimated in its importance and relevance to study effectively.
Original post by A78_
DSA is quite a game-changer for those that need it, and affects myriad of things. Funding (various ways), course type exemptions, dedicated uni student support, study support agent, access to equipment and software, RAP, exam adjustments, staff interaction.... DSA is a big deal and not to be underestimated in its importance and relevance to study effectively.

Could you perhaps go through the sort of things it could help with in regards to ASD? Apart from a few basic systems in place in secondary (think time out cards, and not really much else), this is coming from someone who never had any support in place, and (at least currently anyway) doesn’t know what would be of use to me :smile:
I'm diagnosed but go to a social group at uni with undiagnosed students, and from my experience they won't accept the ASD unless it is an official diagnosis however some have had a diagnosis of anxiety and then they make adjustments for the ASD but because its government funding they need a formal diagnosis to start
Thats a least what I've been told and the experience of others
Some unis make adjustments whilst being on the waiting list and it sounds like yours will so hopefully they can help until then
Hello,

So, after speaking to the autism advisor at my firm university choice, she recommended that I apply for DSA on account of having ASD.

However, I am currently on the waiting list for assessment, which means any evidence I have is scant and only refers to the assessment, which doesn’t feel enough.

They require evidence from your doctor of your diagnosis and how it affects your ability to study. You will have to wait for assessment and diagnosis before applying for DSA, unless you have another condition that has been diagnosed and affects your ability to study.
^^^ what she said
Hello,

Just wondering did the autism advisor know you didn't have a formal diagnosis as it seems a bit weird for them to advise DSA if they knew you didn't have a formal diagnosis
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Just wondering did the autism advisor know you didn't have a formal diagnosis as it seems a bit weird for them to advise DSA if they knew you didn't have a formal diagnosis

She knew from the off, as I emailed the ASD service at the university to ask if what they offer can be offered to people on the assessment waiting list (I was very surprised when I got a resounding ‘yes’), which is how communication started :smile:
Reply 11
Could you perhaps go through the sort of things it could help with in regards to ASD? Apart from a few basic systems in place in secondary (think time out cards, and not really much else), this is coming from someone who never had any support in place, and (at least currently anyway) doesn’t know what would be of use to me :smile:

See the things listed above. The DSA evaluation is a part of determining your needs, but you will also be able to discuss what is practically relevant to you with student support agents at uni, and your tutor and course lead(s). For example I had a conversation today with my course lead and section lead, because I hadn't met them before. The conversation was mainly about my circumstances, what has worked in the past, and considerations that may be helpful. Because privacy policies exist, staff aren't allowed to randomly share student information, so there is some initial footwork to get people up to speed that are able to influence options and timelines regarding course delivery and flexibility.
Personally I found the study support person absolutely key to improving my study and writing skills. I mean, studying with a professor giving guidance and advice is invaluable.
Please keep in mind that I'm a distance learner, so can't say how a campus experience is.

Quick Reply

Latest